Black or White? The big question

pierceallan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Black

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
I used to lean towards black but for some reason the white seems more attractive now..

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
this has been done at least a dozen times today, but since we are all just anxious for the ipad and dont mind talking about it, we should at least include why

Black for me, i'm a a heavy movie viewer / gamer and love the immersion from the black bezel, my gf's white one gets annoying for long periods of time, but i find webpages are better on hers because it feels like the borders are part of the site.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
Black. It will be much better contrast and less distracting to the screen.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
White looks great on Apple's publicity shots but it doesn't look as sleek in person. I went black just like my iPhone 4S.

Embolize

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Black better

Agree with above, white looks kind of cool, but black = better contrast and that's key especially with the ridiculous display, can't wait to see it!!

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I love my white iPhone but went with a black iPad. The bezel is too thick and would be distracting in white IMO.

Think about watching a movie with black borders on the top and bottom. It'll be white/black/picture/black/white.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Pre-ordered the white one yesterday, and this morning I canceled it and ordered the black one. Thought it looked beautiful online (white), but could not get over how it looked playing videos (which are posted all over!). I am upgrading from the 1st iPad (which only came in black), so I wanted a similar look/feel experience.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
black.

i have a white iphone 4s. before that i had a black iphone 4. overall i liked black better. plus my gf already has a white ipad 2.

cueru

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Canada
White.

I almost got a black, because people had scared me into thinking that the white bezel would be more distracting when watching videos, but then I saw a) how webpages on the white just look really cool and b) how the black makes the very thin metal border (where the backing meets the front) much more noticeable than the white, on which it almost appears non-existent.

The latter in particular really sold the white for me, because little things like that drive me crazy. :p

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
White.

I almost got a black, because people had scared me into thinking that the white bezel would be more distracting when watching videos, but then I saw a) how webpages on the white just look really cool and b) how the black makes the very thin metal border (where the backing meets the front) much more noticeable than the white, on which it almost appears non-existent.

The latter in particular really sold the white for me, because little things like that drive me crazy. :p
Yes, I have always liked the white but was going to go with the black for the same reasons as you. But then I saw how the metal border was really noticeable with the black and that bothered me.

That and lesser fingerprints on the white, combined with it just looks better. I'll be reading and watching video 50/50, but I don't see it being overly distracting.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
White for me. I actually think the colors look more vibrant. I also think its more iconic. Every other tablet looks like a black screen.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
White.

I think that slight thin metal border actually makes the iPad look more elegant. Like it has a sliver of chrome wrapping around.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
Black, because of better contrast with and less distraction from the beautiful retina display. :D Although I do like the look of white, I could not see myself getting used to it.