BlackBerry Hits '0%' Market Share Nearly Ten Years After iPhone Launched

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nearly ten years after Apple launched the iPhone, which completely upended the smartphone industry, the device has effectively helped to wipe out one of its major predecessors: the BlackBerry.

[​IMG]

BlackBerry has at last fallen to a rounded 0.0% share among smartphone operating systems after shipping just 207,000 smartphones last quarter, following an over seven year decline from its peak market share of approximately 20% in 2009, according to the latest quarterly data from research firm Gartner.

The demise of the smartphone that was once the poster child of Canadian innovation has been a long one in the making, but one that was inevitable now that BlackBerry has shifted its focus to software and sold the global rights to future BlackBerry-branded smartphones to Chinese company TCL Communication.

BlackBerry actually continued to grow for around two years after the iPhone launched in June 2007, taking market share away from then-leader Nokia. BlackBerry's market share among all smartphone operating systems was 9.6% in 2007, 16.6% in 2008, and 19.9% in 2009, according to Gartner. Then, the decline started.

By 2011, the surging popularity of iPhones and Samsung Galaxy smartphones led iOS and Android to leapfrog BlackBerry and Nokia to form a duopoly in the smartphone market that exists to this day. iOS and Android combined for a record 99.6% market share last quarter, according to Gartner.

[​IMG]
    Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 4Q16 (Gartner)

Windows 10 Mobile was the only other platform to make any sort of dent last quarter, recording an insignificant 0.3% market share, according to Gartner. Windows 10 Mobile fell from 1.1% in the year-ago quarter. A group of unnamed "other" operating systems captured the remaining 0.1% share.

iOS adoption is still low compared to Android, with the platforms capturing 17.9% and 81.7% worldwide market share respectively in the fourth quarter. iPhones mainly target the premium smartphone market, however, while there are Android-based smartphones at all price points sold by dozens of brands.

What's next for BlackBerry? In addition to focusing on software, the company is also doing self-driving vehicle research, while its rumored "Mercury" smartphone by TCL will be unveiled on February 25 at Mobile World Congress.

Article Link: BlackBerry Hits '0%' Market Share Nearly Ten Years After iPhone Launched

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I guess this is a great statistic to show how impactful the iPhone was and still is.

3. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Yet Blackberry just won't die. Rebirth as an Android this time. Lets see how this goes for them.

4. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

RIM is the poster-child for corporate arrogance, complacency, and failure to recognize a competitive threat. They will be discussed in business school for generations to come.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

That awkward moment when "other" is better than you.

6. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its more accurate to say how a market leader can easily mismanage its position to oblivion.

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

For sure .... they sat there with their heads up their asses whilst MS Exchange/ActiveSync started nibbling away at BES, and pretty much did the exact same thing with the iPhone .......until it's too late

9. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Kinda surprised at the % of iOS. It is so funny though, you look back in '08-9 and everyone was saying that the iPhone was a toy and not a 'corporate' device. FU douches!

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

It still is a toy; where's the file system?

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

And in two months they will do what's considered impossible: Have a negative Market Share, let's say -10% !!!

12. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

Looking forward to seeing the new Blackberry Mercury that is about to be released. Looks pretty nice, I look back on my BB devices with fond memories.

13. santydolby macrumors member

"...that was once the poster child of Canadian innovation..."

not to worry, Instant Pot has been passed over the baton to.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---

post-fact?

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I thought BB10 was a pretty good OS, just far too late to market in order to make any sort of impact because the developers were long since gone. A sad day to see that OS pretty much obliterated from the market, but the writing for that was on the wall the minute they started making and licensing devices running Android.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They won't die per say, but they're fairly non-existent anymore. It amazes me where they once were and how they had a huge market for specifc clientele and the everyday consumer alike.

Part of the reason, Blackberry failed to change dynamically with the times and they ultimately ended static. They sort of remind of me of Pebble, where they also failed to innovate further.

16. cube macrumors P6

This is what happens when you abandon BB10 for Android.

If I wanted Android, I could just buy something else.

17. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

18. Smartass macrumors 65816

And the next one in line is Windows phone... a good OS, but Microsoft screwed it totally by themselves

19. DUIduckSAUCE Suspended

DUIduckSAUCE

Back then it was a toy that couldnt replace a blackberry

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Thats sad! Think of the person who create Blackberry, yes they are rich now, but they watched their child slowly die.

21. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Honestly, I wonder if they have more zombie units alive than Palm.

22. AndyUnderscoreR macrumors 6502

AndyUnderscoreR

Either a lot of people are buying .9 of a phone, or Mac Rumours cut the scale off the chart.

23. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Sleeping on a mountain of cash has a way of softening the blow, I'm sure.

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Nokia (Mobile phones branch) was much bigger than Blackberry, they fell even harder.