Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Don't worry about it. I know that I have to work on my communication skills. These conversations usually end up with both of us arguing the same or similar points.

Or I do a bad job explaining my stance and people get caught up over some syntax error I have or something.

The good part is that at the very least we know that you don't have an argument.

Personally, I agree with you. The iPad 2, with it's terrible camera, etc. etc. will still outsell these pads by the millions. I am saving up for one myself.

You can thank me when I'm right. I actually do have reasons, but geek posters who don't realize that Apple isn't selling to geeks who care about specs will never understand my reasons.

Nobody cares about cameras on a tablet, bad or good. It's just a dumb idea. All of these high quality camera tabs that sell like crap prove that.

wolf989

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
crashes

Played with the UK release of the 10.1 tab at CTIA. Locked up the Android OS within 2 minutes, had to power off. Same for the 7 inch tab with the older Android OS. Some aspects of Honeycomb are nicer than iOS, but the instability makes it a non starter to me at this point.

r916

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Sacramento, Ca
Played with the UK release of the 10.1 tab at CTIA. Locked up the Android OS within 2 minutes, had to power off. Same for the 7 inch tab with the older Android OS. Some aspects of Honeycomb are nicer than iOS, but the instability makes it a non starter to me at this point.

And what were you doing with the tablet to make it lock up?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
History revisionist ahoy!

Please name us one single phone that the original iPhone is a direct copy of....

That's right, there isn't one....
No something like the HTC touch was never released before the iphone neither was the LG Prada shown late 2006 months before any picture of an iphone was ever released.

And I never used "direct copy"

So you don't continue to make too big a fool of yourself, the iPhone is in actual fact just a small iPad.

The iPad concept predates the iPhone, though they needed the rest of the world to catch up to them before they could release it.

Feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and scream so you can't hear..

but it's still the truth...

And doesnt change a thing that other released simular phones BEFORE the iphone was released, perhaps you are too young to have been there, but that still is reality.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
LOL what?
Yes look up an LG prada

People are saying they want the UI changed because it LOOKS dated, not because of anything it allows the user to do.
No you claim people are saying that, I say some are modyfying the UI cause it lacks. And that is also why some want to change it: it lacks certain things found elsewhere.

I am pretty sure I know what Apple does and the person I was replying to did not, not sure why you are defending them when they clearly did not understand it.
I am actually just commenting on what you said.

WAT? Do you know how computers work?
Yes, now do you have any source to show true multi tasking would have destroyed battery life?

Plenty of what out where? Tablets? Are you serious? The Xoom, some tiny galaxy tab that is not really a comparable device? Are you serious that there are plenty out there? When the iPad 2 was already finished being designed and developed there were NO other legitimate tablet models in the marketplace.
Archos sold several million of its tablets, so did samsung. as we speak the market is starting to get flooded with cheap chinese knockoffs starting at 99$ . Again perhaps look beyond macrumors.

Where I live (belgium) currently there are 60+different tablets for sale goign from 89 to 800+ .

people are buying those, and plenty more have been anounced.

LOL what? So Apple sells a lot of expensive computing devices because they suck? Your point doesn't make sense. It is like you are just spinning in circles with this post about to throw up.
I never said apples or the ipad sucks (got one and love it) yet saying "its good because they sell a lot" is a non argument.

So you don't understand the primary differences between the cellphone market and the launch of the iPhone and the tablet market and the launch of the iPad. If you did you would understand why this is not the case.
People are seeing comparable tablets wich cost 1/5 of what the ipad costs. Just like with the phones people actually do consider the price point.

Not to mention Android is an OS and the iPhone is a piece of hardware. You do know the difference between an operating system and a piece of hardware right?
Wich is ebsides the point, this isnt a comparison of hardware or os's just of sales.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
"The reduced thickness apparently forced Samsung to shift the rear-facing camera from an 8-megapixel sensor to a 3-megapixel one, although even the lower-resolution camera exceeds that found in the iPad 2."

A shoebox with a pinhole in it exceeds the camera found in the iPad 2.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
No something like the HTC touch was never released before the iphone neither was the LG Prada shown late 2006 months before any picture of an iphone was ever released.

And I never used "direct copy"

And doesnt change a thing that other released simular phones BEFORE the iphone was released, perhaps you are too young to have been there, but that still is reality.

The trouble sometimes with commenting to people via internet without being able to see who you're talking to, means that you can't always tell when you've walked into the minefield, until you've blown yourself up.

I'm old enough, actually, to remember when mobile phones were the size of backpacks and weighed the same as a small child, so my 'reality' is quite an accurate one.

When I first moved to Japan in 2001 the phones here were so far advanced of what Nokia, Motorolla et al were releasing in the 'west' it blew me away.

Japan, was at that time, the king of the electronics game, and I experienced the first camera phones, mobile payments, internet, and video, so when I say that there wasn't anything like the iPhone, it would be because it's true!

The mere fact that you mention the HTC Touch shows that you are grabbing at straws... the HTC Touch apart from being fugly, b&w, and with a terrible UI was released in June 2007.
Which of course is after the iPhone, though if you compare the two phones you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a lot lot earlier...

The LG Prada whilst being the first touchscreen phone again just actually highlights how Apple truly innovated..

This is why when Apple released the iPhone the mobile phone industry was so completely shaken.

Certain 'experts' predicted that people in Japan would never buy the iPhone cos it wasn't made here .... Now, the iPhone in Japan, like in most countries, is the number one 'smartphone'.

Good design, and most of all excellent user experience wins, and that is why, once again, I reiterate that the iPhone was revolutionary....

but maybe you're just too young to be able to give respect to something when it is due..

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Interesting, I just saw this article :
http://www.informationweek.com/news...jhtml?articleID=229400221&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

It claims that the Galaxy tab is NOT thinner then the iPad2. No measurements, but here are pictures (iPad left, Galaxy Right) :
229400221_samsung_v_ipad_thin4.jpg

229400221_samsung_v_ipad_thin5.jpg

The rest of the article wasn't that interesting, but this part was. So what's going on here?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I never said apples or the ipad sucks (got one and love it) yet saying "its good because they sell a lot" is a non argument.

Actually, it is a very significant argument. App developers care about the installed base of potential customers for their apps. Sell X times more tablets, and the market for apps is X times bigger. And customers seem to care about apps. The small number currently available for, for instance, webOS isn't enough.

In addition, if a manufacturer sells a lot of tablets for a higher price to consumers, that consumer customers installed base quite possibly has a bit more disposable income on average with which to buy apps. That may present a measurable downside to developing for the cheaper tablets (and smartphones) until their volumes and installed base significantly exceeds Apple's.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Interesting, I just saw this article :
http://www.informationweek.com/news...jhtml?articleID=229400221&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

It claims that the Galaxy tab is NOT thinner then the iPad2. No measurements, but here are pictures (iPad left, Galaxy Right) :
229400221_samsung_v_ipad_thin4.jpg

229400221_samsung_v_ipad_thin5.jpg

The rest of the article wasn't that interesting, but this part was. So what's going on here?

I could be the only one to think this, but in top pic I think it's painfully obvious they placed something underneath the tab to increase the height slightly.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I could be the only one to think this, but in top pic I think it's painfully obvious they placed something underneath the tab to increase the height slightly.

I don't think that they would do this, more then likely what you're seeing is a rounded case, sort of like the iPhone 3GS.

I believe that the thickness quoted was the production thickness; these are prototypes (that didn't even turn on) and most likely don't reflect the production units.

X2468

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
It won´t sell because the iPad lines will block the view in store.
Their may be many iPad users interested in an Android based tablet, they are quite different & nice. Based on the page views of this thread, they're certainly not being ignored.

I have an iPad 2 which is excellent, yet so is my Galaxy Tab. The competition is good for everyone, as is choice. The consumer benefits no matter what.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The trouble sometimes with commenting to people via internet without being able to see who you're talking to, means that you can't always tell when you've walked into the minefield, until you've blown yourself up.

I'm old enough, actually, to remember when mobile phones were the size of backpacks and weighed the same as a small child, so my 'reality' is quite an accurate one.

When I first moved to Japan in 2001 the phones here were so far advanced of what Nokia, Motorolla et al were releasing in the 'west' it blew me away.

Japan, was at that time, the king of the electronics game, and I experienced the first camera phones, mobile payments, internet, and video, so when I say that there wasn't anything like the iPhone, it would be because it's true!

The mere fact that you mention the HTC Touch shows that you are grabbing at straws... the HTC Touch apart from being fugly, b&w, and with a terrible UI was released in June 2007.
Which of course is after the iPhone, though if you compare the two phones you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a lot lot earlier...

The LG Prada whilst being the first touchscreen phone again just actually highlights how Apple truly innovated..

This is why when Apple released the iPhone the mobile phone industry was so completely shaken.

Certain 'experts' predicted that people in Japan would never buy the iPhone cos it wasn't made here .... Now, the iPhone in Japan, like in most countries, is the number one 'smartphone'.

Good design, and most of all excellent user experience wins, and that is why, once again, I reiterate that the iPhone was revolutionary....

but maybe you're just too young to be able to give respect to something when it is due..

even if it was released after the original iphone it's not like HTC just whipped it up after macworld. it took 2-3 years to design it

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
RIM just announced that Android apps will officially run on the Playbook. So the Playbook will start with > 200 000 apps. Wow.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

After? Touch was begin June, iphone was late june.

It also doesnt really matter much, its clear the design idea behind it are the same.

Same goes for software like spb mobile shell at the time. Fingerfriendly was introduced BEFORE the iphone was released.

Funny how some people talk like that when they talk about apple.

Yes the iphone was one of the best if not the best phone at that time, yet anyone who was up to speed in the matter knew a lot of others were and had been doing simular things . And that was the remarque I made,

If apperently you dont even know when the iphone was released ...

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Actually, it is a very significant argument. App developers care about the installed base of potential customers for their apps. Sell X times more tablets, and the market for apps is X times bigger. And customers seem to care about apps. The small number currently available for, for instance, webOS isn't enough.
Thats a whole other discussion. I merely racted to the bland statement that anything that sells a lot has to be good.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't think that they would do this, more then likely what you're seeing is a rounded case, sort of like the iPhone 3GS.

I believe that the thickness quoted was the production thickness; these are prototypes (that didn't even turn on) and most likely don't reflect the production units.

The picture Galaxy Tab is the 10.1V http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/25/samsungs-original-galaxy-tab-10-1-renamed-the-tab-10-1v-thicke/, not the 10.1. It is thicker. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is thinner than the iPad 2 :

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/22/samsung-galaxy-tab-8-9-and-new-galaxy-tab-10-1-thinner-than-the/

So in fact, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be thinner than the iPad 2, and it will be priced the same, 499$ for 16GB Wifi.

No, it's an insignificant argument when comparing devices to devices. Installed base of the Xoom, or of the Galaxy Tab doesn't matter. It's the sum of all of them that does. The eco-system is Android, not the Xoom or Galaxy itself (or G-slate, or the Viewsonic one, etc.. etc..). So the fact that iPad 2 as a device outsells every other single devices on their own is irrelevant. What is the total eco-system's installed base ?

That is what matters, and that is why in the smartphone arena, we're starting to see the market forces shift from iOS to Android (as the recent Pocket Legend story tells us) : http://blogs.computerworld.com/17941/android_ios_app_profit

Your other point is just baseless assumptions. People that buy more expensive devices don't necessarily have more disposable income to spend on apps for it. Heck, the contrary might be true. Having spent a larger portion of their income on the device itself, maybe they don't have enough left to purchase apps.

kdarling

macrumors P6
RIM just announced that Android apps will officially run on the Playbook. So the Playbook will start with > 200 000 apps. Wow.

Not quite. Each app has to be run through a RIM specific process, get signed, and uploaded to the RIM market.

So it's more like, any Android developer that wants to, can easily produce a Playbook compatible version.

It's still huge news.

If they could each run in a window, so I can see multiple ones on the screen at one time, I'd be in love :) This is a major feature would be very useful, especially when copying items around.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Not quite. Each app has to be run through a RIM specific process, get signed, and uploaded to the RIM market.

So it's more like, any Android developer that wants to, can easily produce a Playbook compatible version.

It's still huge news.

If they could each run in a window, so I can see multiple ones on the screen at one time, I'd be in love :) This is a major feature would be very useful, especially when copying items around.

Right, and again, one that truly needs to be in a dual core iPad 2. If not in an update, at the very least by iOS version 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.