Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
My take on this.

The good:
1. Great specs
2. Great price
3. Great form factor

The Bad:
1. Looks plastic fantastic
2. Android (as in: bad ecosystem)

My verdict:

No thanks, I prefer the guarantee for fresh apps and business support that iOS provides me.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
What's with all these tablets being advertised in landscape??

I've had the first ipad since it came out last year and I'd say my Portrait to landscape usage ratio is like 70% portrait / 30% landscape.

I view webpages, read the WSJ, NYPost, books, ipod etc.. all in portrait.

Landscape is for tv shows / movies and some games.

Why are these tablets all designed as if the user is going to hold them landscape 90% of the time? Are magazines designed to be held landscape? I don't get these horizontal tablets.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
This is just a preview of the future, Android based tablets will clean the iPads clock. Apple made the so-called iPad 2 as a 1.5. Low res camera, not enough RAM, and low res screen. It's going to be a verrrry long 2012 for Apple. Sure it's selling like hot cakes now, but when buyers see tablets that they don't have to stand inline for, that have better equipment and are cheaper ... Apples house of cards will come crashing down around them.

The only strength that Apple has is the app ecosystem; which is why they are going after Amazon for spiting on the sidewalk. They know the world of hurt coming their way.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
I'm a little confused by introducing *both* 8.9" and 10.1" Tabs - exactly what's the point of splitting the market like that for a $30 price difference? Are they seriously expecting retailers to stock two nigh-identical devices?

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Blackberry playbook = The IPad 2 killer - you heard it here first.

Look at the specs, their greater or equal to the iPad 2 with the exception of battery life.

Looking at these specs will be awsome while iPad users actualy have a ******** of Apps to actualy use their specs on. :rolleyes:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Yeah, with problems like that they are destined to fail. :rolleyes:

I've been a loyal Mac user for 21 years. I marvel at the fact that my 64GB iPad 2 on order for less than a grand has orders of magnitude greater power and capacity as a long retired Quadra 900 for which I paid in excess of $20K years ago.

I certainly hope Apple corrects the light leak defect for all their backorders. As the link points out, since units are constrained, it is very difficult to provide replacements. As others have done, I will be forced to return mine if the issue remains in April.

A high percentage of defects (number so far not revealed), could hurt Apple's reputation for quality products as other manufacturers have seen (Toyota, J&J). I am rooting for Apple but the competition is looking nice too.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs

Look at the specs, their greater or equal to the iPad 2 with the exception of battery life.

Except for the battery life. Ha, ha . . . yeah, that's not important at all in a mobile device. You get your 10.1 inch "point and shoot" camera, I'll take the battery for a handheld portable computer. Haven't heard a lot of concern over all the laptops without a rear-facing camera. It's funny how critical it is for the iPad though, and what an important comparison it is to many people.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please who the hell would take a step way back by going with Samsung. Yeah them tablets look cool and very thin but so damn what. Apple has the ecosystem and the customer service. Also the fit and finish of the iPad is so much more awesome then those Sammy tablets. I don't hate but come on! Samsung doesn't even control the effing software. All they can do is skin the Honeycomb OS. I'm not impressed.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is just a preview of the future, Android based tablets will clean the iPads clock. Apple made the so-called iPad 2 as a 1.5. Low res camera, not enough RAM, and low res screen. It's going to be a verrrry long 2012 for Apple. Sure it's selling like hot cakes now, but when buyers see tablets that they don't have to stand inline for, that have better equipment and are cheaper ... Apples house of cards will come crashing down around them.

The only strength that Apple has is the app ecosystem; which is why they are going after Amazon for spiting on the sidewalk. They know the world of hurt coming their way.

Well, you knew it was only a matter of time before this cat showed up.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs

You are the funniest poster on here. Thanks for the entertainment. (Not sure if it's your intent, but thanks anyway.)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
+1

'lets make a tablet for our business users, to get serious workloads done. we can call it the playbook'.
i didn't know charlie sheen was in charge of their team?

If you watch and listen to Rim's co-leaders, you see the resemblance to Charlie Sheen. I'm all for company's fluffing their feathers and believing in the products they market and sell, but these guys come off as being sooo Charlie Sheen. Their grasp of reality is lacking to the point of making them sound ridiculous. I'm surprised investors don't punish them more for this - but of course many Wall Streeters still use BB's, so it makes sense.

Change is tough for lots of people and companies - which keeps Rim going and will at the same time be the death of them.

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
It's going to come down to the experience, and the experience is in the apps.

Developers aren't going to create applications for the Android, unless people buy them, people are not going to buy Android tablets unless there are applications. The same thing with RIM.

room271

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
I don't get all the negative ratings/comments.

1. Competition is good (I know this is hardly an original point)

2. The tablets look interesting.

In particular, the stylus input and software for the Blackberry device allowing simple notetaking etc.

Personally, I dislike Apple's walled-garden (even though I appreciate this doesn't bother many people) so this is good news.

Megadooomer

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
NJ (dreams of NYC)
Except the biggest spec is missing from it: compatible with the Apple App Store. Sorry, specs are not the end all and be all of device popularity. What good are specs if few developers write the device?

Absolutely. Have you read the developers comments on the SDK? I downloaded it to try and compile a simple game, which I had already written in Flash/AiR. It runs AiR/Flash, so simple right? NO! You have to jump through a million hoops, (Flash>Flex (which just got switched toFlash-Builder with the new CS5 Workflow, SDK compiler, install VMWare, re-install simulator...)

My first game in iOS was prototyped in an evening, 3-5 hours max. I spent 3 WEEKS trying to get things straight in the Playbook SDK and the thing still won't run right.

This is rediculous. Apple provided a sleek, fun SDK to use. Blackberry relied on Adobe, a 3rd party notoriously terrible at providing a simple, consistent user experience. Flash still barely runs on most platforms.The processes are esoteric and convoluted. Android still has far fewer good, independently developed games, and it already runs on millions of devices for developers to cater to. The Playbook will fall flat entering the market at this point and in this way. It will run almost nothing except perhaps for enterprise/data-base Flex applications, which the IPad can already run fine, in addition to running a million other Apps, including Ereading/News updates. Developers will forget about it, consumers will lose interest, and it will be forgotten before the bugs are even ironed out. RIP Playbook, nice gimmick with the free game.

PS what is with this old "walled garden" argument? Can you connect a camera, or a midi keyboard or a guitar to your Android tablet? Can it play a version of Doom written by Carmack? Can it consistently read and annotate any PDF? The "walled garden" thing is a myth. You can jailbreak and load anything, the only difference is you *may* void the warranty, which is only a problem because AppleCare is generally so awesome compared to other companies that people are afraid of endangering it.

Last edited:

antic

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Why are you even giving these product the time of day. I come on here to read about apple products. If I were interested in samsung or blackberry products I'd be looking elsewhere. Your just giving them free advertising.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Well i have to admit that this is not a tablet for me. BUT.

I love that samsung dropped the prices, apple has to focus now, and do well with ios 5.0 to compete with honeycomb. ios is lacking as it is now, just better notifications or something.

Im really excited, not because these tablets are coming ,but becuase apple gets competition.

i just hope we get something that looks a bit more like honeycomb with ios 5.0. But bravo on samsung with low prices, 2011 and 2012 will be a fun year. Also i liked they used decent cameras, and its very thin and light.

Screen resolutuion is great aswell. Kinda liking the galax tab 10.1

Elvin77

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Yeah well....

1) Battery life IS a big deal

2) Are we forgetting about apps? The best hardware in the world is useless unless there are apps to make it sing. A $200 tablet can surf the web just as good as the playbook.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Excellent to see more tablets coming on to the market. This is good news for all - competition is great - for all companies and consumers.

Choice and Competition is King.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Yeah sure, a business tablet with a screen too small to type on. Rim's marketing for this thing seems to be all over the place, they say business tablet, but the picture shows Need For Speed?

Out of the 7" tablets the playbook looks the best, but it is still a 7" tablet. Combined with it's wider display the keyboard will be way to small. If they come out with some kind of awesome keyboard accessory then it may stand a chance. BB's success had a lot to do with its comfortable keyboard.

Samsung's new tablets might do well, as long as they do some decent marketing.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
What's with all these tablets being advertised in landscape??

I've had the first ipad since it came out last year and I'd say my Portrait to landscape usage ratio is like 70% portrait / 30% landscape.

I view webpages, read the WSJ, NYPost, books, ipod etc.. all in portrait.

Landscape is for tv shows / movies and some games.

Why are these tablets all designed as if the user is going to hold them landscape 90% of the time? Are magazines designed to be held landscape? I don't get these horizontal tablets.

I think the majority of the people use landscape (but don't quote me on that).

Most activities (websites, emails, documents, etc) require scrolling top to bottom, not side to side, so landscape will usually give you a greater view usually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.