BlackBerry Storm Downgraded to a Depression

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arubinst, Nov 26, 2008.

1. arubinst macrumors 6502

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Nice article, One thing thing I don't agree with though. They used the analogy a blackberry without a keyboard is like an ipod without a scrollwheel. I completely disagree. When I had an iPod touch I loved it more than any of my other previous iPods.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Ironic how it takes you to a storm ad before you can go to the article.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I rest my case -- now toss it in the pile with the rest of the proclaimed iPhone killers!

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Everybody calm down.

Don't form a solid opinion about the phone before you try it yourself. I tried it out today and It is not as bad as the reviews say it is. I think the clickable screen works very well for many things. You don't have to press hard for it to click, and you won't accidently click when trying to scroll and whatnot. I did run into issues with typing however. It was difficult to type quickly without making mistakes. Also, some of the application icons are confusing and will take trial and error to get used to them. Lastly, in some ways the UI could use a little more polish and speed, but overall it is a nice upgrade from the old UI. All in all, I would rather own the iPhone. There ya go.

7. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

hmmm... some reviews i have read love it and others like this completely hate it.. seems like the iPhone, you either love it or hate it.

8. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

A BlackBerry without a keyboard is like an iPod without a scroll wheel. A Prius with terrible mileage. Cracker Jack without a prize inside.
    -i love this quote. There is nothing to agree or disagree on here. He is just using sensory imagery to make a point that blackberry has a reputation o having a physical keyboard.

9. The General macrumors 601

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I did.

Horrible UI.
    The click thing is stupid in its implementation.
    Slow.
    Accellorameter sucks.

This is not a case where this is a 1.0 and its going to get better. This is a case where RIM is so off base now and in uncharted waters for them, that this time next year it will only raise to mediocre IMO.

RIM is the new Palm.

This storm blows.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Since the NY Times tech reviewers, like many other tech reviewers, are very Apple biased, and very VERY iPhone biased, I would disregard much of what the article says.

Either way, the iPhone is the new Razr with everyone and their grandmother getting one just to say that they have one.

Not to mention that there are a lot of issues still going on with the iPhone, with it's poor build quality topping the charts IMO.

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Only he stated exactly what he did not like and they are items that others have mentioned as well.

Or they want the best phone on the market.
    Tell it to the latest survey a couple of weeks that said apple had the best build quality of RIM and palm and mobile media.

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It is a very clever quote, but i just don't like the ipod part. :)

14. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Why does everyone always have to feel the need to degrade the competition??
    Its kind of funny, I have come here and defended the Storm, then Ive gone to several Blackberry forums and defend the iPhone.

Here its: the Storm sucks, the iPhone is so much better.
    There its: the iPhone is a toy, the Storm is so much better.

They both have comparable features. They both do things very well. They both have things that need to be improved.

Does it stroke your ego to say the one you use is definitively the best thing out there?

I like the iPhone. If it were my choice I would still be using it.
    I like the Storm. The first day I had it, it was really awkward and buggy. But since then it really has gotten much better, especially now that Im more familiar with it. It does things better than the iPhone IMO. The iPhone does things better than the Storm.

I just dont get the attitude here towards it or there towards the iPhone.

15. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Put the Dog Down

I've been critical of the Storm all over the WWW. So I guess I shouldn't neglect one of my favorite forums. I ordered one before playing with the store's demonstrator model. They had none left on hand to sell.

It was so doggy I turned around and cancelled it after I thought about how badly it performed. It was delivered despite my cancellation by FedEx.

I took it back to the VZ store unopened. Since then I've seen nothing but detailed reports of the bugs and design issues.

I don't normally deal with the post-Thanksgiving shopping crowd. But Monday I'm leaving VZ and getting an iPhone. I have a BB8830 and love it for what it does. I waited a long time for the Storm hoping it would give me at least 80% iPhone like goodness, and 100% BB reliability and killer push e-mail like my BB8830. The Storm should never have been shipped in Beta state.

Oh, by the way I played with a BB Bold while looking at iPhones today. The Bold is worth a look. The screen was fantastic, and was playing a very high def. video and didn't break a sweat. Physical keyboard of course, and easy to navigate if you are familiar with BB menus.

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Which may be what others like, since it's only his opinion and goes the same way with all the other products on the market.

No, they just want to follow the crowd, and get things because some fanboy told them too. I would bet cold cash that many getting the iPhone don't know what they hell they are buying.

Much like those that buy Macs to surf the web and write papers and nothing else.

Unless you link it, it doesn't mean anything.

Simply put, I don't like fanboys and girls bashing other products based on biased reviews.

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

If someone wants the best PHONE on the market, and they by an iPhone, they they are a fool.

I love my iPhone.

But the PHONE part is so inferior to that of just about every other cell I have owned it is a joke.

StarTAC? Better TELEPHONE.

Blackberry Pearl? Better TELEPHONE.

Blackberry Curve? Better TELEPHONE.

Cingular 8525 (Tilt with no tilt)? Better TELEPHONE.

RAZR? Better TELEPHONE.

Sony Ericsson w600i? Better TELEPHONE.

None of those phones dropped calls and had call set up failures even coming close to the rate of the iPhone in those departments.

(I know you really meant DEVICE, and am only being a smart azz.) :D

19. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I liked my RAZR, but does anyone remember the Moto StarTac. I loved that phone!

22. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I noticed I had RAZR twice, so I edited on eto say StarTac.

And yes, I owned a StarTac.

It never really dropped calls either.

23. rioja macrumors regular

not quite yet... Javelin is coming, I'm hoping a windfall comes with it :D

24. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

I can now officially say that nothing can beat the iPhone. Well except for maybe build quality and software bugs. But every so called "iPhone Killer" has failed, including the Storm.

25. jephersun macrumors member

ditto...

go try the storm in person...many users have stated that the phone was difficult to use in the beginning and after a couple days many are actually liking their phone...I personally cant stand the clicking, i wish it was more of an option. I sold my iphone 3g for a blackberry bold =) and now THAT is an amazing phone =)