Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Lets all remember this was written by David Pogue, an iPhone zealot; not very unbiased, but I would venture to say that many people believe the entire NYT staff is probably biased. :p

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This is such an elitist statement. To think that people who buy macs have to have some sort of higher calling and need to do such lofty things with their computers. What is so wrong with someone buying a mac to surf the net and write papers? Your statement is part of the reason why people think mac users are such snobs and fanboys.

As far as the link for your iphone build quality, here ya go. http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2008/11/24/daily18.html?ana=yfcpc

Thanks for the link, and no, it's not an elitist statement. It's just not very smart to buy a machine for $1100 to do things that a $650 machine can do with absolutely no differences.

I am not talking about iWork, or iLife or other Mac specific things here.

Calm down and wake up.

Once again, thanks for the link.

Yes, same reason why some people think the lack of a keyboard on the iPhone is a plus while some think it's a minus. Do you not remember the very first reviews of the iPhone? Those were some of the most unbiased ones you could find since many didn't have the chance to be wowed by the OS which is the best part of the phone as proven by the Storm's negative reviews.

jeffdc5

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
flawed or not i love my iphone and it is the perfect phone for my needs. I love that apple keeps on working on it and drops updates from time to time makes me feel better that i didn't just spend 300 dollars and get left for dead. The storm is nice im getting it for my lil sister but i'm happy with my toy.

Poat84

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
If you cant beat the iphone...JOIN US!:D:D

Its like comparing a Bently to a Kia! ya...it doesnt compete hahaha

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I tried this the day it came out and was extremely disappointed. The click touchscreen technology just didnt feel right, like the reviewer said just felt like too much work. The phone feels quite chunky, and saw straight away that eventually debris would get in between the screen where it clicks down. Plus it also hard crashed after about 2 minutes of playing with it :D

jeffdc5

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for the link, and no, it's not an elitist statement. It's just not very smart to buy a machine for $1100 to do things that a $650 machine can do with absolutely no differences.

Calm down and wake up.

Yes, same reason why some people think the lack of a keyboard on the iPhone is a plus while some think it's a minus. Do you not remember the very first reviews of the iPhone? Those were some of the most unbiased ones you could find since many didn't have the chance to be wowed by the OS which is the best part of the phone as proven by the Storm's negative reviews.

I have my macbook because i got tired of windows vista crashing and locking up on me. I can do a lot on my macbook that i can't do on windows. i hate writing and 20 page paper and having my pc crash on page 18. There is nothing wrong with people buying something they don't exactly need some people do act like they are better for using mac products but every brand has those snobs.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Calm down and wake up.

Why isn't it smart? Macs come with a totally different OS with a totally different user experience. Plus, both hardware and software are made by Apple, so at least you know the quality is more consistent (which it is).

By your 'logic', everyone would be driving a cheap car to get from point A to point B since that is the primary reason of using a car.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I have my macbook because i got tired of windows vista crashing and locking up on me. I can do a lot on my macbook that i can't do on windows. i hate writing and 20 page paper and having my pc crash on page 18. There is nothing wrong with people buying something they don't exactly need some people do act like they are better for using mac products but every brand has those snobs.

Very true. They take many different forms. There are people who buy Dells, then make fun of everyone else because they "paid too much for a computer that does the same stuff." There are people who buy Apple computers, then make fun of everyone else because they "use crappy computers." There are Sony users who think everyone else is a wanker because "Sony makes extremely high-quality products, unlike other companies," there are people who buy Toshibas, then make fun of everyone else because "Toshiba is a Japanese company and the Japanese make better products." Then there are the Sesshis who buy all types of computers, then trash all Apple users because "Every non-Apple computer is good, because I said so." :p

It goes on.

jeffdc5

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
there are better phones for different things the iphone is not the best overall it all depends on what you want it for i have mine for the ipod function and for browsing

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Why isn't it smart? Macs come with a totally different OS with a totally different user experience. Plus, both hardware and software are made by Apple, so at least you know the quality is more consistent (which it is).

By your 'logic', everyone would be driving a cheap car to get from point A to point B since that is the primary reason of using a car.

apple builds their computers but they don't MAKE their hardware. Not sure where you got that idea.

Regarding quality, Apple has had it's fair share of widespread issues (cracking palm rest area on prior MB).

The premium you pay for an apple is for the OS and the sleek style of an apple computer. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's much more than that.

I'm not denouncing apple either, I plan on buying an iMac and i own an iPhone.

The OS is wonderful on apple and the style of them is gorgeous, but don't try and justify the price, it's a luxury computer so of course you'll pay a premium.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
apple builds their computers but they don't MAKE their hardware. Not sure where you got that idea.

Regarding quality, Apple has had it's fair share of widespread issues (cracking palm rest area on prior MB).

The premium you pay for an apple is for the OS and the sleek style of an apple computer. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's much more than that.

The OS is wonderful on apple and the style of them is gorgeous, but don't try and justify the price, it's a luxury computer so of course you'll pay a premium.

I know they don't physically make the hardware, I guess I chose the wrong word. :)

I used to buy Dell exclusively, but towards the end their CS and hardware issues (on my last pc model) made me decide not to buy from them anymore. My motto is 'vote with your wallet'.

Anyway, I bought my iMac and couldn't be happier. Best of all, I'm still able to run Windows if needed.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

I can agree, but the very VERY played out car analogy is skewed, greatly skewed.

People buy Macs for one reason or another then use them to do whatever they wish. Same thing for a car. Sometimes people buy cars for the same reason.

But you can't compare a $35,000 investment to a $2,000 investment, and if the analogy were to be accurate it would be more like comparing a Buick to an Aston Martin with the only difference between the two being the interior of the cab.

I am no car guru, but I know that the AM will have much more to offer over the buick than a plush interior.

And I agree wholeheartedly. No one should be suckered into getting a Mac if the differences in OS and software are not one of the top reasons.

To bring it back on topic, it's the same for any phone. Both devices have their limitations, both (any) have their plusses. Now it seams that any phone with a large touch screen is automatically deemed an iPhone killer, then once the device doesn't have the SAME EXACT THINGS the iPhone has it's shot down as a failure.

Not to mention that everyone instantly forgets about the issues the first iPhone and iPhone 3G had/has/will have in the future.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I can agree, but the very VERY played out car analogy is skewed, greatly skewed.

People buy Macs for one reason or another then use them to do whatever they wish. Same thing for a car. Sometimes people buy cars for the same reason.

But you can't compare a $35,000 investment to a $2,000 investment, and if the analogy were to be accurate it would be more like comparing a Buick to an Aston Martin with the only difference between the two being the interior of the cab.

I am no car guru, but I know that the AM will have much more to offer over the buick than a plush interior.

And I agree wholeheartedly. No one should be suckered into getting a Mac if the differences in OS and software are not one of the top reasons.

To bring it back on topic, it's the same for any phone. Both devices have their limitations, both (any) have their plusses. Now it seams that any phone with a large touch screen is automatically deemed an iPhone killer, then once the device doesn't have the SAME EXACT THINGS the iPhone has it's shot down as a failure.

Not to mention that everyone instantly forgets about the issues the first iPhone and iPhone 3G had/has/will have in the future.

The car analogy is one that everyone can relate to. :)

If someone asks me, I'll recommend Mac under certain certain circumstances. For example, if the person is looking for something affordable and/or for the kids, then I would agree with you and wouldn't recommend a Mac.

jeffdc5

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
I honestly finally broke down to get my white iphone because it was so beautiful and i like the fact that apple updates it and hopefully will continue to do so even after they make a newer phone the fact that they made 2.0 compatible with the first phone was great. I had to let go of my blackberry 8820 but i'm satisfied.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The car analogy is one that everyone can relate to. :)

If someone asks me, I'll recommend Mac under certain certain circumstances. For example, if the person is looking for something affordable and/or for the kids, then I would agree with you and wouldn't recommend a Mac.

True, I don't know a single person that doesn't try to relate the Mac vs PC issue with an auto or even steak analogy.

Personally speaking, I'd want everyone to get a Mac if they have a use for it... but after some time I myself even realize that not everyone needs one. And that some people never even open an iLife app.

Plus, I'd rather switch a Mac user over with the knowledge that they actually REALLY need to do so, and not, "sure you can use MS Office and Firefox on here" and that's all they would be using it for.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
For Mac Users iPhone is A More Total Package

I know much of the debate has had to do with performance issues about both the iPhone and the Storm. These are important considerations, and I suppose each user has to decide just how much they will put up with and what weight they one to give to any individual feature.

If the Storm had come out prior to the release of the iPhone I think I would have been wowed by it, even with the current state of early performance issues.

I've been a BB8830 user over a year. But I've been a Mac user since the first model was issued. I've finally decided to order an iPhone, after returning a NIB Storm (based on my demo model experience).

I also have decided that I really want to regain access the portion of my Apple DRM'd music library and movies on a mobile basis. I had an iPod Touch, but carrying a BB8830, the IPT, and more recently a Dell Mini 9 around seem even too geeky for me. I've already given my daughter the IPT, and the fate of the Dell Mini 9 is undecided.

Back to the Storm. As Maxwell Smart says, "Missed it... By That Much":D

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
After trying out the BlackBerry Storm, Bold, and HTC Fuze I'd put the Storm at the bottom of the three.

Just trying to navigate through the Storm can be a challenge. Tapping on the screen only highlights something. To select you have to depress the screen. While it sounds simple, it's easier said than done. Especially if you are used to the iPhone menu navigation.

The Bold seemed more consistent in its interface. The trackball seemed to be a better fit for its software than a touchscreen.

And for the first time, I actually liked the HTC Fuze's physical keyboard. I have trouble with the BB physical keyboard. The Fuze is also built a LOT better than the filmsy G1. And I liked the touchscreen. Too bad it has Windows Mobile 6.1. And I hate how HTC uses a mini-USB port for the headphones which requires a bulky adapter (didn't they learn from the v1 iPhone?).

I'm not even a Mac guy. I'm a desktop PC guy. But I like the iPhone more than ANY of these phones.

And it looks like Nokia's XpressMusic 5800 won't be an iPhone threat according to this article: http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-nokias-first-touchscreen-its-no-iphone-its-more-sociable/

kdarling

macrumors P6
Gee, so after the Storm has made you deaf, just turn the volume down, stupid. What a fix! :rolleyes:

What's even more insidious about this is, a person checking a Storm out on dispplay would probably never encounter this, and thus wouldn't know it can happen until they've bought one ... assuming they buy one.

Yeah, reminds one of the iPhone's infamous headphone jack problem. What? You suddenly don't hear anything unless it's on speakerphone? Ooops, just poke the headphones into the device a few times to free things up. What a fix :rolleyes:

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, reminds one of the iPhone's infamous headphone jack problem. What? You suddenly don't hear anything unless it's on speakerphone? Ooops, just poke the headphones into the device a few times to free things up. What a fix :rolleyes:

Not to say it never happened, but I never heard of the issue.

Poat84

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
When the blackberry came out wasn't it supposed to compete with the treo?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Not to say it never happened, but I never heard of the issue.

Wow. To me, that's like saying you've never heard of Safari crashes.

Hang out some on the Apple iPhone Help forums, and you'll get an earful.

The sticking headphone jack was one of the more common help topics, along with the usual dropped calls, battery issues, non-working GPS, Safari and other app problems.

Edit: Add two links about the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630

http://ifoneheadsetjackfix.blogspot.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.