Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blackmagic Design today announced the launch of Blackmagic Camera, a new iPhone app that integrates with Blackmagic Cloud and uploads content directly to the DaVinci Resolve video editing app.

blackmagic-camera-ios.jpg

The app features the same digital film camera controls and image processing functions that are available with Blackmagic Design's cameras. The company says that users can create YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram content with a "Hollywood" cinematic look and feel.

All settings are adjustable, including frame rate, shutter angle, audio levels, tint, shutter speed, lens, white balance, and ISO, with a simple tap-based interface. The interface includes record parameters, histogram, focus peaking, levels, and frame guides, and it can be brought up with a swipe. Focusing can be done by tapping on the screen, and there are options for shooting in 16:9 or vertical aspect ratios.

4K ProRes video can be recorded directly to Blackmagic Cloud and synced directly into DaVinci Resolve. Cloud integration allows video footage to be sent to a post production studio in a matter of minutes for simpler editing, and it is available to all members of a project.

Video can also be recorded to the phone's storage and then exported to an external drive for those who prefer not to use Blackmagic Cloud, or uploaded manually to Blackmagic Cloud. Footage from multiple iPhones can be sent to DaVinci Resolve and lined up using the software's Sync Bin tool.

More information on the Blackmagic Camera app for iOS can be found on the Blackmagic website.

Blackmagic Camera is free to use and can be downloaded from the App Store as of today. [Direct Link]

DaVinci Resolve for Mac is also free to download, and the DaVinci Resolve Studio version is priced at $295.

Article Link: Blackmagic Announces New iOS Camera App That Ties Into DaVinci Resolve

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
This should be a really nice camera option for the iPhone. I have a lot of Blackmagic Design products. Good quality stuff that performs superbly. DaVinci Resolve has a somewhat steep learning curve. It does work well.

However, as of this time, the app is not showing on the App Store. I wonder how long it will take to appear
Innnteresting. I’ve used their cameras. They’re sick.
I used to run a studio with their video switchers, controllers, monitors, video recorders, matrix controllers, etc. Twenty four monitors to view the activity. This was for a live TV broadcast. The biggest flaw was their cameras, at the time we purchased, was the lenses were horribly overpriced. It was better to get Panasonic video cameras with lenses. It would have been nice to have Blackmagic cameras to control the cameras from the switcher but was just not cost effective. I think that problem has been resolved.

Last edited:

YKApple

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Canada

Blackmagic Design today announced the launch of Blackmagic Camera, a new iPhone app that integrates with Blackmagic Cloud and uploads content directly to the DaVinci Resolve video editing app.

blackmagic-camera-ios.jpg

The app features the same digital film camera controls and image processing functions that are available with Blackmagic Design's cameras. The company says that users can create YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram content with a "Hollywood" cinematic look and feel.

All settings are adjustable, including frame rate, shutter angle, audio levels, tint, shutter speed, lens, white balance, and ISO, with a simple tap-based interface. The interface includes record parameters, histogram, focus peaking, levels, and frame guides, and it can be brought up with a swipe. Focusing can be done by tapping on the screen, and there are options for shooting in 16:9 or vertical aspect ratios.

4K ProRes video can be recorded directly to Blackmagic Cloud and synced directly into DaVinci Resolve. Cloud integration allows video footage to be sent to a post production studio in a matter of minutes for simpler editing, and it is available to all members of a project.

Video can also be recorded to the phone's storage and then exported to an external drive for those who prefer not to use Blackmagic Cloud, or uploaded manually to Blackmagic Cloud. Footage from multiple iPhones can be sent to DaVinci Resolve and lined up using the software's Sync Bin tool.

More information on the Blackmagic Camera app for iOS can be found on the Blackmagic website.

Blackmagic Camera is free to use and can be downloaded from the App Store as of today. [Direct Link]

DaVinci Resolve for Mac is also free to download, and the DaVinci Resolve Studio version is priced at $295.

Article Link: Blackmagic Announces New iOS Camera App That Ties Into DaVinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve is the best video app period. So happy that they are getting better.

klydefrogg

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I think we can kiss Filmic Pro with their move to a subscription model goodbye.
Yep. There may be a few missing minor features (haven't seen any, but I'm sure there's probably something), but it looks like a solid --and free-- replacement.

I was hoping they could integrate a tally when using it as a live camera with an ATEM, but it looks like that didn't happen.

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Fcpx is a disaster. Howso?

They stopped providing any major updates to FCPX and the workflow on DaVinci is just so much more intuitive and faster. There are also plenty of small QOL improvements to DaVinci that add up. Overall it seems like Apple have mostly abandoned FCPX whereas Blackmagic are constantly improving DaVinci.

Also DaVinci is cross platform so it's nice being able to edit on my much more powerful PC if the project calls for it.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Yep. There may be a few missing minor features (haven't seen any, but I'm sure there's probably something), but it looks like a solid --and free-- replacement.

I was hoping they could integrate a tally when using it as a live camera with an ATEM, but it looks like that didn't happen.
So far it feels like everything I used in the Filmic Pro app is here. Not the weird custom stuff Filmic created but Apple is about to release their own log format which will be much better anyway.

Then again I am still on the paid version of Filmic Pro and refused to move to the subscription based version so maybe there is some stuff missing. I don't doubt some of that could be added in the future as well. What I like most about the Blackmagic app so far is the no nonsense UI that doesn't try to be overly fancy.

The only thing that does seem to be missing however is the ability to just lock the shutter speed but allow ISO to adjust automatically. Locking shutter pretty much locks all exposure into manual mode. I'm sure thats fine and if one is using ND filters on the iPhone I'm sure it will work just fine this way. We might just have to do a bit more manual tweaking of the ISO this way.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
i Can’t wait to use this. won’t be using the cloud upload features but so many people ask “why the heck would anyone need 1 gigabit upload let alone anything over”. This is it. Fiber will enable this easily.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
AirDrop has nothing to do with your SIM card. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Calm down Francis. Of course it doesn’t. That was an autocorrect from SD.

“Video can also be recorded to the phone's storage and then exported to an external drive for those who prefer not to use Blackmagic Cloud”

This was my point, using Airdrop instead of SD or External SSD

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
I hope they release this for Android phones too. S23 Ultra does 8k you can save local to the phone. no cloud storage needed.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Curious if Air Drop work with this to send those ProRes files directly to a Mac without using a SD card or SSD?

EDIT: for autocorrect.
As ProRaw is about 10GB per minute, I am wondering why you would. You can theoretically get up to 1Gbps but that's unusual depending on your Wi-Fi connection, proximity etc.

But yeah it's possible but you'd have a high risk of it failing for those file sizes from my experience.

Recently I shot several videos for 5-30 minutes (in H265) and I found it easier, faster, and more reliable to transfer it directly to an iCloud drive and download it to the same iCloud drive on my Mac using 4/5G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.