Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Same. If you think of Final Cut like a good camera body, customizable with your own choices for extensibility, it's absolutely amazing. Been using it every day in a corporate/commercial environment for nearly a decade and still enjoy i

I get where you’re coming from actually. For me FCPX is kinda like enhanced iMovie. Great for quick simple edits but when I want something a bit more involved (especially anything that involves grading) I use DaVinci
Oh don’t get me wrong. I cut broadcast major network shows and high end music videos on fcpx. I push it to its limits. It’s definitely no iMovie. That’s its beauty. It looks like it is as it’s so well laid out and organised. But the power features are insane.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I just did a low light side by side vs the stock app with both in h.265 and the compression looked worse with BM, but could be placebo.

I just trust that Apple would know best how to work with footage from their own camera.

The stabilization is the biggest mystery for me tho and the thing I’m most interested in. It DOES seem better (on my 13) in BM, but why wouldn’t Apple have implemented whatever is going on?

I understood the issue with Filmic’s stabilization as it lagged an insane amount.

I shot a feature in 8K raw on a Red Epic, edited in Premiere (Resolve was missing some editing features a few years ago), and color graded in Resolve. Now I work full time at a marketing company shooting TikToks everyday. As much as I try and want to use the more capable tools I was used to before this job, we move at such a pace that we shoot in the stock iPhone camera app and edit in CapCut (on desktop).

Def gonna run more tests on this app though. The setting for locking white balance once recording has started is reason enough.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
The iPhone has already been an extremely capable device for video, but this kind of stuff along with USB-C recording to external drive is really causing it to make the jump to professional grade. I’d have killed to have these cameras 8 years ago instead of a Canon T2i to record my crappy independent film, haha.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
The iPhone has already been an extremely capable device for video, but this kind of stuff along with USB-C recording to external drive is really causing it to make the jump to professional grade. I’d have killed to have these cameras 8 years ago instead of a Canon T2i to record my crappy independent film, haha.
1080p from a Canon T2i is still leaps and bounds better than the hyper-processed, over-sharpened, denoised mess that you get out of the ”Pro” iPhones.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
DaVinci Resolve is the best video app period. So happy that they are getting better.
This reminds me of people who would say "Photoshop is the best photo editor"

A more accurate statement is Davinci Resolve (or Photoshop) can do just about anything you want with video (or photos). But they don't always do those tasks quickly or easily or efficiently. (There are plenty of professional photographers who never touch Photoshop!)

I tried Davinci Resolve and didn't care for it. I tried a bunch of free software too, and some were alright, but ended up going with Final Cut Pro for its ease of use, fast speed, and intuitive interface.

There is no one best software for everyone. Some people prefer command line text editors, some like the bloat but features of Microsoft Word, and some pick something between the two. You could say "MS Word can do almost anything you want a word processor to do" but I wouldn't say it is the best document writer out there.

For the record, I tried probably a dozen video editors. If you are looking for free, check out:
iMovie (used to be the best, still better than most, excellent user interface)
Olive (intuitive, great feature set, especially if you need to use Windows)
Openshot (similar, just depends which layout you prefer)
Capcut (great for quickly adding music, effects, and transitions rapidly, versus manually adding each one)

Paid: Final Cut Pro,
Adobe Premiere
if you can stomach a subscription fee,
Resolve if you don't like Final Cut. I have a friend with a video studio. His take: Adobe is good if you already are used to other Adobe products, many like Resolve especially on Windows, Final Cut has a different interface from the other two that many "professional" video people reject out of hand because it's so unique (I think the way they present the timeline maybe?), but if you learn it, it's actually easier and most people who learn it find it a superior workflow but he is not going to re-learn editing at this point (he uses Adobe).

(Note: I did not try Avid)

Those are the best programs of about a dozen I tried.. the right one for you is the one that is intuitive and will easily and elegantly execute the commands you use most frequently.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Camera apps are basically pointless for casual folks until Apple lets us launch a non-Apple camera app from the home screen. I bought Halide for a year but almost never ended up using it.

sigurros

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Let’s hope it’s free. I just want a good video recording app that has the ability to change audio settings.

External mics with 1/8” mini jack never seem to work with the iPhones camera app- Tried all the adapter too- TRS, TRRS, etc.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
1080p from a Canon T2i is still leaps and bounds better than the hyper-processed, over-sharpened, denoised mess that you get out of the ”Pro” iPhones.
I record all kinds of videos on iPhone with great results. Guess my “eye” sucks or something.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
Does this rank now as one of the top 5 say camera apps for shooting pro level video on your 14/15?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Camera apps are basically pointless for casual folks until Apple lets us launch a non-Apple camera app from the home screen. I bought Halide for a year but almost never ended up using it.

The Action Button now lets you do this but I agree the lockscreen camera shortcut should be customizable.

Reactions: Chuckeee

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Too bad BlackMagic still hasn't added ProRes Raw support to Resolve. It's just infantile at this point.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I think we can kiss Filmic Pro with their move to a subscription model goodbye.
You’re so cruel. Now FP developers will starve and eventually die because so many people ditch their monthly subscriptions in favor of Resolve... 😅

SKB_1965

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Scotland
Oh don’t get me wrong. I cut broadcast major network shows and high end music videos on fcpx. I push it to its limits. It’s definitely no iMovie. That’s its beauty. It looks like it is as it’s so well laid out and organised. But the power features are insane.
I used FCP up until version 7...Final Cut Studio was glorious and a precursor to what DaVinci Resolve Studio is now, and would still be using it to this day if FCPX continued along that trajectory, whilst changing stuff under the hood. But it didn't. The first versions didn't even have separate viewers...source and timeline nor could you use a broadcast monitor...basic professional features. And don't get me started on the way it forces it's 'organisation' on you. Hate that with a passion.

Apple thought it could, arrogantly in my opinion, redesign the whole editing process. After that I tried Premiere...AVID and Resolve before settling in the Blackmagic Design eco-system, which is surprising Apple like in a lot of ways...more so now with the announcement of Cloud storage along with this app.

But of course, no software is perfect and each to their own.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
This reminds me of people who would say "Photoshop is the best photo editor"

A more accurate statement is Davinci Resolve (or Photoshop) can do just about anything you want with video (or photos). But they don't always do those tasks quickly or easily or efficiently. (There are plenty of professional photographers who never touch Photoshop!)

I tried Davinci Resolve and didn't care for it. I tried a bunch of free software too, and some were alright, but ended up going with Final Cut Pro for its ease of use, fast speed, and intuitive interface.

There is no one best software for everyone. Some people prefer command line text editors, some like the bloat but features of Microsoft Word, and some pick something between the two. You could say "MS Word can do almost anything you want a word processor to do" but I wouldn't say it is the best document writer out there.

For the record, I tried probably a dozen video editors. If you are looking for free, check out:
iMovie (used to be the best, still better than most, excellent user interface)
Olive (intuitive, great feature set, especially if you need to use Windows)
Openshot (similar, just depends which layout you prefer)
Capcut (great for quickly adding music, effects, and transitions rapidly, versus manually adding each one)

Paid: Final Cut Pro,
Adobe Premiere
if you can stomach a subscription fee,
Resolve if you don't like Final Cut. I have a friend with a video studio. His take: Adobe is good if you already are used to other Adobe products, many like Resolve especially on Windows, Final Cut has a different interface from the other two that many "professional" video people reject out of hand because it's so unique (I think the way they present the timeline maybe?), but if you learn it, it's actually easier and most people who learn it find it a superior workflow but he is not going to re-learn editing at this point (he uses Adobe).

(Note: I did not try Avid)

Those are the best programs of about a dozen I tried.. the right one for you is the one that is intuitive and will easily and elegantly execute the commands you use most frequently.
Interested why you don't also rate Resolve as a free option, or is that just an oversight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.