Bloomberg: iPhone 8 will replace Touch ID with 3D facial detection, ProMotion possible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveToMacRumors, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Hope not but since that is one of the 243,456,949 theories about what the phone will have I'll wait to see

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not think Apple Pay will fly with facial recognition.

5. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this.

Sorry, just had to. I don't get how they can't figure out how to put Touch ID into the display.

6. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Me either. I've never used Apple Pay but I'm assuming the payment terminal (or whatever you call it) is usually on a counter? Would look a bit stupid having to bend over to read your eyes for payment.

7. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Not a fan of the idea. I personally think it’ll be easier for someone to hack into the phone.

8. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

It might require it to be built into the screen itself. In that case Apple is at the mercy of screen manufacturers and probably won't be first to bring this technology to market.
    Who knows apple may have a better solution.

9. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

10. Relentless Power, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

A lot of conflicting reports today. And it seems some are fairly concerned with what will happen with touch ID and now Iris/facial recognition being a primary. I think the only thing I can say in a situation like this, is Apple has this whole thing figured out and it will all makes sense come September. Rumors only create so much confusion and you have to choose what you want to believe or what is actually real. None the less, at least it makes it interesting.

11. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

They will wait for Samsung to bring it out on the s9 then they will add it under the screen in about 3-4 years. Just like there finally bringing oled to the iPhones. Oh and wireless charging.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Similar to the way Apple waited to introduce a finger print reader and then Touch ID became the gold standard?

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. I think someone whizzed in the other guy's Corn Flakes. :D

14. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Disappointing either way. They should've figured it out by now.

15. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

And people were worried about Touch ID being on the back of the phone.... :rolleyes::D:D

I think what people are failing to realize about this new iPhone is that it is not meant to be the mainstream model. The iPhone 7s will handle that... The OLED iPhone is meant to be a proof of concept of smartphones moving forward much like how the 12 inch Macbook was a proof of concept for laptops moving forward. There will be several drawbacks just like every other proof of concept that Apple has done. Wait until next year when the technology is matured enough to where the phone doesn't cost $999 and has an embedded touch ID sensor...

PS: Called it on the ProMotion integration! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-promotion-display.2050943/#post-24692345

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Given Apple's high security standards today and how serious they take protecting consumer information leading in industry standards, I disagree with you. They will have it all configured accordingly, no matter what method they choose to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.