Blu-ray on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by inigel, Mar 16, 2008.

1. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I am looking at getting a Blu-ray drive for my mac pro. I make a living filming events for people and purchased a HD video camera last year.

Now that Blu-ray is the leader of the HD format I am ready to offer HD films for customers.

Can anyone recommend a good Blu-ray drive and software for my projects. Anything that is compatible with Final Cut Studio 2 would be super.

2. sal macrumors 6502

dvd studio pro doesn't support the authoring of bluray yet.

You can either wait until they do, or get adobe encore.

3. kingkezz macrumors regular

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Does Toast do Blu-Ray? i would be interested in seeing how it does. albeit it probably only burns Blu-ray data not HD video.

5. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you can watch Blu-ray movies in OS X through Toast?

And about that previously mentioned LG... GGW-H20L? I just got one for my Mac Pro (that doesn't exist yet). Looks to be a great drive.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Not production Blu-Ray movies, they still need a HDCP video card and display.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I hope this blue ray nonsence doesnt live a very long life and the world can move on and download HD films as easily and legally as they do their music, DISKS, are we in the 90's?

9. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

I hope this this bandwidth wasting download nonsense doesn't live a very long life and the world can move on to buying true 1080p HD films as easily and legally as they buy their DVDs.

10. waldo99 macrumors newbie

LG GGW-H20L installed.

I have just installed an LG BD-r burner. Its recognized by OSX and toast. I can use Adobe CS3 Encore to author and burn Blu-ray discs, of course I will not be able to play back in OSX wether its encrypted or not. You can play back un-encrypted HDVIDEO_TS authored in DVD Studio Pro, not much use for that now. I am on bed rest at the moment so am waiting for brother to go on a shoot. They are going to attach a professional fujinon film lens to my Sony XDCAM EX. I am gong to use this as my test footage for my first Blu - Ray disc. I installed my LG burner by using a SATA to EIDE converter.
    The seller www.span.com posted a link, warning that using the spare SATA ports on the Mac Pro will cause no end of problems.Here's the link: http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2008/03/_updated_march_2008_working_wi.html Span also tested the converter to if it supported the burner apparently not all do. I will post a full break down of the work flow for those interested on MacRumors, in couple of weeks.

11. Rick Ward macrumors newbie

I Agree entirely. Let's face it, How many people have ISP's that allow them to dowload lets say 4 or 5 Blu-ray quality movies (approx 100Gb) per month without exceeding their bandwidth? And who wants to wait hours or days while they download? Then there's the problem of where to store hundreds of Gb of video files. And most people dont have thier PC/Mac plugged into thier TV's anyway.
    Much more convenient to buy your movies on discs and use a dedicated player.

12. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

The fact is that when an HD rental is $5, and purchasing a Blu-ray disk is $35, unless it's a movie I personally plan to watch many times, the $5 on-demand rental wins out every time. This is new for me, I own hundreds of DVDs, and just don't see the point in owning the physical media anymore unless it is a movie I particularly care for.

This is where I expect cable companies that are also ISPs have an advantage over pure ISPs that need to concern themselves with bandwidth issues (not to say there aren't also data stream issues with cable).

There's a very real chance Blu-Ray will fail as well, being a evolutionary technology instead of revolutionary (like a 4096p HD movie on a memory stick or such would have been).

13. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

That "HD" rental is really Medium Definition 720p or Standard Definition 480p or lower. I have yet to see an on-demand rental in true 1080p High definition. The fact is, very few people have the bandwidth and/or patience to download a 25-50GB true HD movie. By the time the first GB is done I could drive down to Blockbuster, rent a BR movie and get back home to watch it. Heck, I could subscribe to Netflix and recieve my first movies before it finishes downloading.

Cable companies are already compressing the cr@p out of their content to save bandwidth. I've seen many horridly over compressed digital cable TV shows that are barely watchable. I don't know why people stand for it.

Just like VHS failed. Nobody thought DVD could take off and replace VHS but try finding a new release on tape anymore. Give it a year or so and you will start seeing new releases not being offered on DVD.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just buy a ps3, best bluray player out there, period. :D

15. inigel thread starter macrumors regular

inigel

Amen. Sony is the only company that provides regular updates for newer firmwares so the PS3 is, in my opinion, the sensible choice.

And I think I'll wait for Apple to add OS X support for Blu-ray. I'm not prepared to learn a new program, especially after spending AU$1600 on FCS2.

16. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

have you used an appletv ?

17. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

AppleTV only displays Standard and Medium Definition video, it can't do High Definition. Most of Apple's 720p movies are under 5GB, much smaller than a 25-50GB 1080p movie.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

There's no such thing as 'medium' definition. There's SD and there's HD. 720p IS high definition, and no amount of denial by anyone is going to change that.

19. Norco macrumors regular

No way, DVD is going to be here for many more years. Even VHS kept going even after DVD was introduced way back in the late nineties. Hell, Blu-Ray just debuted in '06, and you think by '09 they won't release some movies on standard DVD anymore? Yet millions and millions of homes have DVD players and not Blu-Ray. Just look at the big deal regarding these Digital conversion boxes for the switch to Digital broadcasts. Consumers in the know have known about this switch for years, but the general public has NOW just started to pick up on it.

20. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I agree completely as well. And honestly, that moronic comment about the 90's... broadband didn't even become common until after 2000.

Who the hell wants to own all their favorite movies on their computers? I'd rather be able to carry it around on a DVD/Blu-Ray than have to lug my stupid computer with me wherever I go. I have seasons of TV in DivX format on my comp, and it's great quality, really.. about 350MB/42 minutes; even ~700MB/2 hours the quality's amazing... but guess what? I don't want to have to take my laptop wherever I go in order to watch all of them whenever I want.

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Blu-Ray is the *minimum* I'd want (i.e. 50 GB for a movie). Movie downloads do not interest me at all. In fact I think it is pretty lame and unfortunate that apple is pushing it so hard.

22. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Well said. Anyone who claims that 720p is not HD simply does not know what they are talking about. HD is a standard. 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all HD. By definition. If you think differently you are wrong. So, please quit telling people that might not know better that AppleTV does not do HD. It does.

If you don't believe this, do the research. ATSC defined what resolutions would be considered HD and 720p and 1080i both qualify.

I will admit that 1080p should yield a better picture than 1080i or 720p. That does not mean that it is True HD and the others are not.

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I download .wmv full 1080p with DTS dolby digital 5.1 and looks exactly the same in quality from playing straight bluray disc from my ps3 and I've tested it with shoot em up from the 9.5gb .wmv file and watched a scene its freakin amazing and I have the bluray movie popped it in the ps3... I couldnt tell which was which.. they look and sound (I have a very nice ht setup) exactly the same!! Each .wmv movie is no more than 9gb each. I have currently 68 bluray/hd dvd movies all in 1080p/720p dts dolby digital 5.1 ac3 in my 1tb seagate drive and I still have 490gb left! I just watched beowulf only about 9.4 gb in .wmv format full dts ac3 dolby digital 5.1 sounds freakin awesome and on my sony bravia xbr4 52" looks incredibly amazing!! Now 1 bluray movie down about 65 more to watch.

Since this is a apple forum, I'm sure everyone in here has a mb or a mbp and if any of you own an xbox 360, I highly HIGHLY advise you guys to download a .wmv bluray/hddvd movie of about 9.x gb in size and install a program called "connect360" onto your mb/mbp/mp whichever mac and just direct the folder under connect360 that you want your xbox 360 to look at wirelessly to stream the .wmv movie and tell me how it looks and sounds... its identical to an actual bluray movie!!

p.s. I d/l each bluray movie and takes me only 1 hr 40 min for 1 *I use giganews, pay 24.00 a month but to me its well worth it since I d/l about 200gb a month anyway, I try to keep it no more than 150 usually since I have comcast with the cap d/l at around 250gb per month).

As for you guys... man have you ever seen a full 1080p on a sony bravia xbr series (the best t.v.'s in the world), when I first saw the movie meet the robinson, shrek the 3rd man those animation movies streamed straight from my mac pro via connect 360 to the xbox 360 wirelessly to my sony bravia xbr4 full 1080p with motion enhancer... omg its like something I've never witnessed before! The picture just pops out at you with scary detail. Its as if I'm watching a live play right infront of me with real people or animations that came to life!!

Its as if every single 720p/1080i or claimed 1080p looked like fake hd all my life. That's all I have to say, I showed my friends/cousin and they just was speechless and told me that they have finally witnessed true hd and was in awe. They were even quiet with their jaws literally open and their eyes huge wondering what hd stuff they've all viewed all these years and claimed that it was fake compared to now the holy god of hd. The picture just looks soo damn clean/unreal and the movement is just unreal and the clarity and detail is out of this world... If anyone in here knows what I'm talking about then please say sony bravia xbr series it is!!

24. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

I wouldn't mind owning everything digitally. It's much easier carrying a single laptop (especially when they're as light as the Air) than a stack of DVD boxes that also take up space and collect dust.

And when internet bandwitdh and speeds improve, I would just install a media server and stream everything I own to anywhere, via the Internet. No carrying at all!

--Erwin

25. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Both of your opinions are fine, you can believe whatever you want.

Truth is, 720p IS medium definition by resolution and HD by name only. 1080p is the only true high definition resolution right now.