Blu-Ray Player (Software)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tilstip, Sep 21, 2008.

1. tilstip macrumors newbie

Hi,

is there any application which can play blu-ray?
    I have a correct blu-ray folder structure on my harddisk (bdmv) and can't play it with Quicktime, DVD-Player or VLC.

On Windows I have found a way but not for OS X yet.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You cannot play Blu-ray movies that have HDCP in OS X.

3. tilstip thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure but I don't think my image has got HDCP.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What Blu-ray disk are you trying to play? Is it HD video that you yourself encoded and burned to Blu-ray? You should be able to do that in OS X.

If it's a Blu-ray movie that you have purchased, it has HDCP. You can't play that.

If it's a data disk, OS X should be able to see that...

5. tilstip thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't tell if it has HDCP. A friend who has got a blu-ray drive in his PC somehow ripped it so we can watch it on my bigger lcd, which is connected via DVI to my Mac.
    It's a correct blu-ray folder structure but not on a blu-ray disk but on my harddisk. Inside there is a "Stream" folder with a t2s file. I can play it with my VLC player but then the menu and all options are gone. Also I'm not able to fast-forward, etc.

On Windows there is for example WinDVD. I just tell it to open the folder and it behaves like it is a blu-ray disk.

This is what I'm looking for on my mac.

If you copy a DVD on your harddsik you also have a VIDEO_TS folder, etc and you can open that in VLC.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There is currently no OS X software to play Blu-Ray discs or images since no Macs have Blu-Ray drives. You'd have to boot the Mac into Windows to properly play the movie with menus, etc.

10.5.6 is rumored to have Blu-Ray support though.

7. tilstip thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you! I'll install windows with bootcamp until 10.5.6 comes out.

8. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'm in this same situation and hopeful that, a year later, there's a fix for this? I have a Dutch movie in ISO format (which I can mount and find the stream and feed that to VLC, but no options - like English Subtitles).

I don't mind re-encoding to .mkv if that's the best way - any thoughts for 2009?

9. theplague macrumors newbie

What about now, does it exist?
    A Blue Ray player?

10. theplague macrumors newbie

To be clear - I don't mean a Blueray disc player, but a software player that handles downloaded Blueray files/films?

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, not yet.

12. michelcannu macrumors newbie

michelcannu

Any news on that topic?

I'm also interested: is there any software for mac that will accomplish that task? I really can't believe that windows can outrun mac on that small issue... :mad:

13. torgreed macrumors newbie

Blu-Ray transport stream playback

If you have an unencrypted Blu-Ray disc, that is, both AACS and BD+ have been removed, then the "transport streams" within the disc can be played back by Mac software. VLC and XBMC are both able to play these files. I expect MPlayer can, as well.

The menus don't work, but you can watch the movie just fine. I don't know about everyone else, but that's all I want out of a movie: the movie. I don't want to wait 2 minutes for the menu to show up after sitting me through yet another reminder about a different country's federal police and copyright law. Chapter stops aren't present, either.

Also, the language and chapter information isn't exposed in these streams, so you may have to hunt for the right audio and subtitle track. (They all show up as "Unknown", though AC3, DTS and so on will be identified correctly.)

For many Blu-Ray movies, this is fairly straightforward. In the BDMV/STREAM folder, just pick the largest ".m2ts" file. (MPEG 2 Transport Stream.)

For some movies, that doesn't work. The movie is split up into multiple streams. I don't know if this is because of attempts at ripping and transcoding prevention, or limitations in authoring tools, or seamless branching. (Of movies I own, The Simpsons, one of the Blade Runner Final Cut Limited Edition discs, and The Incredible Hulk all are split up. The Blade Runner disc makes sense, it's the one with the North American, International, and Director's cuts on it. I don't know why the other two are like this.)

Anyway. If you hit one of these, you need to follow a subsection of the advice on Gizmodo at <http://gizmodo.com/5161848/how-to-rip-blu+ray-discs>. The bit you need is the section on using tsMuxR to make a .ts file. For this, you want to pick one of the files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder; usually the largest file. (tsMuxR will show the time a playlist will take, you can use that to help figure out if you've got the right one.) Then the .ts file can be fed into VLC or XBMC or whatever.

Oh yes: HandBrake can transcode this stuff too. Learn to love MKV files: you can have DTS passthrough. (For 1080p M4V files, make sure to turn on large file size.)

14. tidus-cloud666 macrumors newbie

We want Blu-ray movie decoder and burning power for Mac (& PC in General)

It doesn't really matter if it comes with a blu-ray drive since you can just purchase a blu-ray drive and plug it in to the USB / Firewire (IEEE1394B) or what ever port it comes with.

I don't think there are many PC's sold with Blu-ray drives built in though some are. :apple: :)

15. bendhoward macrumors newbie

Use Plex

There is software that will play blu-ray disks as far as I know. I've used it before on blu-ray rips, and while I'm not sure exactly what format they were in (although I can definitely say it wasn't something simple like h.264), Plex played perfectly.

http://www.plexapp.com/

(plexapp dot com)

And please people, don't post "no something doesn't exist". Unless you have read every single page on the internet, there's no way for you to know that :)

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The only way to play Blu-ray discs under OS X by using Make MKV's streaming server.

Rips are a lot different than playback from the discs.

Blu-rays are in m2ts containers and there are three video codecs that can be within those containers; h.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2. Any app that uses ffmpeg for its playback algorithms (such as Plex, XBMC, VLC, MPlayer Extended) can play those ripped m2ts. VLC can play the disc using Make MKV.

17. sduensin macrumors newbie

Easy Blu-ray Movie Playback!

After playing with MakeMKV and VLC for awhile, I put together a little script that glues the two together allowing very easy playback of Blu-ray movies. It's free, I did it for myself, and I thought I'd share it. http://www.jaegertech.net/software/cross-platform-blu-ray-playback

Tell your friends! :)

Scott

18. CyVice macrumors newbie

Hmm doesn't work for me on my MacBook Pro ...
    I followed all the installations but nothing happens.
    Have other people successfully experienced under OSX ?
    Thanks a lot anyway.

19. sduensin macrumors newbie

Troubleshoot BluRay Playback

Yes, others have used it - including myself. I wrote the script on OS X and then ported it to Linux. Try this:

To get some more feedback as to what is going on under the hood, right-click (or ctrl-click) the application icon and select "Show Package Contents". Then expand the Contents folder and next the MacOS folder. You can double-click the playBluRay.sh file and it should open a terminal window with all kinds of output while it does its thing. See if anything in there hints as to what is wrong. If not, or if it doesn't make sense, try and copy-paste it here and I'll take a look.

If double-clicking the file opens it in an editor instead of running it, make a copy of it on your desktop and rename it "playBluRay.command". Double-click that one instead.

Scott

20. Spawn4ever macrumors newbie

I've installed both VLC Player and MakeMKV in the application folder. Whenever i start the Blu-ray script, all i get is a bouncing blue disc in the dock for about 10 sec to which it just disappears. I even copied the script into the app folder thinking that they would all need to be in the same location but that didn't do anything.

I can hear the disc spin but nothing is happening.

Here is the file information you suggested to copy over.

#!/bin/bash

#
    # Cross-Platform Blu-ray Playback Script
    # Release 1.0
    #
    # Depends on having curl, MakeMKV and VLC installed.
    #
    # Revision History:
    #
    # 05-OCT-2010: Initial release.
    #

# Is this a Mac?
    if [ `uname` == "Darwin" ]; then
    MKVPATH="/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/"
    VLCPATH="/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/"
    else
    MKVPATH=""
    VLCPATH=""
    fi

# Make sure we're not already decoding a disc.
    killall makemkvcon

# Start streaming the first Blu-ray drive we find.
    ${MKVPATH}makemkvcon --upnp=1 --cache=128 stream disc:0 &

# Wait for the streaming server to be ready.
    RESULT=1
    COUNT=0
    while [ $RESULT != 0 ]; do
    curl -f http://localhost:51000 -o /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    RESULT=$?
    sleep 1
    # Handle timeouts so we don't leave orphan makemkvcon tasks running.
    (( COUNT=${COUNT} + 1 ))
    if [ ${COUNT} == 60 ]; then
    killall makemkvcon
    exit 1
    fi
    done

# Tell VLC to play the first title of the disc.
    ${VLCPATH}VLC http://localhost:51000/stream/title0.ts

# Shut down MakeMKV after VLC closes.
    killall makemkvcon

Hope you can help.

Thank you.

21. gatortpk macrumors 6502

"Large File Size" box is very important!

Yes, this is very important, all the "Large File Size" box does, is make the mp4 or m4v files 64-bit instead of 32-bit. I learned this the hard way, when ever I encoded a file that went over 4 GiB (Yes 4,294,967,296 bytes or about 4.295GB, not 4 GB, 4,000,000,000 bytes) without checking the box, it was a useless 12+ hour encode. No way to fix it either. (4 * 2^32 = 4,294,967,296)
    You can change a 64-bit file to a 32-bit file for those old players that don't support 64-bit (though I've never seen one -- a non-64-bit capable player), if the file is under 4 GiB, but you can't change a useless 32-bit file to 64-bit, the addressing just isn't there to start with!
    I surely hope Handbrake v0.95 will have this box checked by default! Handbrake should have just stopped encoding after 4 GiB in my opinion, but then again 4+ GiB files are relatively new and hence a new issue.
    My High-Profile MP4 Avatar encode was 11.7 GB. Yes, I do own the movie too.

22. danyb macrumors newbie

problem with the script

could you pleaase help me?
    i have this error in the terminal

Last login: Tue Feb 1 23:18:01 on console
    /Users/danilo/Desktop/playBluRay.command ; exit;
    Mac-Pro:~ danilo$ /Users/danilo/Desktop/playBluRay.command ; exit;
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    MakeMKV v1.6.3 darwin(x86-release) started
    Optical drive "DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC" opened in OS access mode.
    Optical drive "DVD-ROM Tune4Mac Virtual CD-RW 2.01" opened in OS access mode.
    Optical drive "BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT SW-5582 B110" opened in OS access mode.
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '524288'
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '1048576'
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '32768'
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '524288'
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '1048576'
    Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A 1.NC' at offset '32768'
    Failed to open disc
    /Users/danilo/Desktop/playBluRay.command: line 42: 978 Bus error ${MKVPATH}makemkvcon --upnp=1 --cache=128 stream disc:0
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    logout

[Processo completato]

danyb

23. poptal macrumors newbie

This is it

"For many Blu-Ray movies, this is fairly straightforward. In the BDMV/STREAM folder, just pick the largest ".m2ts" file. (MPEG 2 Transport Stream.)"

Thank you. That was it. I only needed to find that ".m2ts" file and open with VLC.