Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Aren't Fully Disabled When Toggled Off in Control Center on iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2017.

1. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Logical answer is that if you have used public wifi in a store or public transport then the hotspot is saved on your device. But it should be up to you if you ever want to reconnect again. Those hotpots are often used by hackers for sniffing.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

These changes don't really seem to affect/change anything related to that.

3. adrianlondon, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

You can turn off auto-join for that network. So in iOS 10 you had to turn off WiFi to not connect to networks you'd previously connected to but don't want to delete. Now, you can still do that (albeit in settings not via the control centre) or set those unwanted-but-don't-want-to-delete networks to not auto join.

The advantage of the "new" way is you don't have to remember to turn wifi off whenever you get near to a public wifi spot that you've connected to before and no longer wish to do so without you knowing about it.

I like the new toggles, but reading these forums there's obviously loads of people who don't. The solution is easy: let us decide what the toggles do!

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There’s no advantage of the new way when you walk down a street and several times a pop up message asks you if you want to join a WiFi network when you were perfectly happy with your 4G connection and WiFi turned off.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's always that "ask to join networks" option that can be disabled. And there's always the option to disable WiFi in settings.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Turning off WiFi the tradition way from control center was perfect. It’s not up to anyone else to decide for me if the device I pay **** loads of money for doesn’t behave the way it should and did. I’m now expecting some retarded analogies in return. I won’t be reading.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand it was up to Apple to make Control Center available to begin with (as it wasn't even there for years) and what options to put there.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Whatever your opinion on this just a reminder that software at its best asks the user to use as few clicks/touches as possible to disable or enable a feature. Digging through preferences to do what didn’t need to be done before impairs usability.

It’s bad enough that corporations get away with listening in or abusing our personal data. When they make it more difficult to disable things like WiFi it just encourages bad security practice in an online world that is increasingly dangerous. It’s naive to think every security hole ever has been discovered and patched.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unless in the eyes of the manufacturer of the hardware and software the particular controls is potentially seen as being unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental in a sense to the way they see their devices being used. Sure, that might not all be along the lines of what some consumers might want, but that doesn't mean there can't be fairly plausible rationale for things on the manufacturer's side of things.

10. Tontshoot macrumors newbie

Tontshoot

Exactly, they just made it to auto data-mine people. 90% of people won’t turn it off thru settings so they win big. I came to Apple on iPhone 6. Amazed me. Then they slowly come back to being like Microsoft(too much clutter bs and less user friendly(music app) and act like google with this latest BS. Kinda sickens me that they can’t keep their status. Steve wouldn’t have let them get so sloppy. They are sloppy now.

11. kennybroh macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. I have turned wi-fi off in settings, and it still turns itself back on. Extremely annoying.....

12. I7guy macrumors G5

How does disconnected WiFi auto data mine people?

13. Williesleg macrumors member

Well I'll be it's not black and white but shades of grey.

Thanks Apple!

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I mean, the idea of a persistent data connection and automatically switching networks is an ideal we should be reaching for so that in the future we have seamless interaction with our environment and services.

BUT!

We have to first address security holes, data abuses, privacy concerns, identify theft, hacking, etc. Just yesterday Apple had to patch a most stupid security hole in High Sierra after almost two decades of macOS development. It's really naive to assume there are no other holes and many to come in the future.

Until then a shortcut to disable Wifi or Bluetooth should mean 'OFF'. Completely off.

We need a machine learning built into the BETA stages of macOS development. The OS would do what humans are slower at doing. It would use the combined power of many machines to try to hack itself or find other security bugs. When it finds those bugs it attempts to fix them by patching itself, re-testing, and getting humans to observe what has happened.

The technology for self-fixing operating systems exists now. It won't become Terminator (humans are unmatched at being irrational killing machines) as it will have a narrow focus.

15. kennybroh macrumors newbie

I wouldn’t have a problem with this if you could always turn Wi-Fi off entirely in settings. But now that doesn’t work either. No matter what I do, it comes back on.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

That’s not right, something’s amiss. Try rebooting your phone.

17. kennybroh macrumors newbie

Actually I have rebooted several times. Others have reported the same thing on other forums.

18. ronnieb9580 macrumors newbie

They better fix this. I absolutely hate that you can’t just turn off the connections in control center. I drive around for work and need the WiFi to be off otherwise it try’s to connect to known WiFi like McDonald’s it xfinity. I don’t want this!!! And I don’t want extra steps of going into settings to turn it off!!!

19. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

Because that's where we went for it in ios 6, and then Apple said "hey, upgrade to iOS 7 and these controls will be available at a single flick of a finger!"... and now they've completely made that change utterly irrelevant, which begs the question "why did they put these shortcuts in there in the first place?". The only user-facing GUI improvement was the Control Center. Everything else user-facing in iOS 7 was ugly and harmful to the user experience. So this change undoes half of that one advantage. yeah yeah, i know, everyone hated how "dated" ios 6 was and loves how "clean" ios 7+ is... fashion and fads are not functionality.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    So your trust in the thinking of a corporation is entirely based on their market cap value? Have you not worked in a large corporation before? Bad ideas are actually MORE likely in them than in smaller businesses, especially when run with the ideology of profit > quality.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

One doesn’t get to be the size of Apple by screwing over their customers regardless of your opinion.

21. strategicthinke, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

“...ideology of profit > quality.” Lmao.
    Economics 101: you can’t have one without the other.