Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Aren't Fully Disabled When Toggled Off in Control Center on iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2017.

1. elkhound macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I explained it to someone else about five messages above this one. Scroll up a little.

2. RezSeeker macrumors newbie

Hey Siri turn on bluetooth.
    Siri says “Bluetooth is already on”
    - No icon in the menu bar
    - No automatic connection to my car
    Oh yeah... it’s in Feeble Mode.... Siri turn off bluetooth, Siri turn on... OK now it recognizes my car.

Also when I swipe up to quickly turn off wifi (5+ times a day) and it’s because 1) I don’t want my phone hunting for a wifi 2) I don’t want it connecting to my city’s public wifi when I leave home.

Shortcuts are for most common usage

What a mess. Somebody at Apple please kill Feeble Mode

3. geta macrumors 6502a

The all point of these toggles in the Control Canter is to turn WiFi & Bluetooth off, not putting them on standby mode.. the correct state completely losing the point of having these toggles in the Control Canter. They should give option in the settings app to chose 'on, standby or off' for these toggles in the Control Canter.

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

As mentioned before, there are pretty easy solutions to avoid disgruntled users here. Allow a long press/3D touch to really turn Wifi/BT off in Control Center. Or given that the buttons in CC are now customisable in IOS11, why not just have two different buttons available "WiFi Disconnect" (new style) and "WiFi Off" (old style). That way users can do whichever they prefer. I just don't get why you would want to remove user choice like IOS11 currently does, especially when it reverses longtime behaviour and functionality.

5. strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

No. All the point of having the toggles there is (for 98% of people) to disconnect from the specific - potentially slow - WiFi router they are connected to. People want to disconnect from, let’s say, the slow WiFi at work but they should not need to remember to turn it on again once they arrive their homes. It’s a hassle doing it the old way, the new one is much, much better.
    And no, no one wants to stop using AirPlay, AirDrop, Continuity and Handsoff, Apple TV connection, Apple Watch, AirPods and precise location services deliberately. Turning these off is wrong, it offers a disservice to their customers and weakens the perks of the iOS/macOS ecosystem.
    Same thing for Bluetooth: you should not turn it off. No one should be disconnected from their Apple Watches or not being able to connect to their AirPods or their Bluetooth earphones because of a toggle.
    Apple is doing the right thing there, and no one should have quick access to just turn those things off when all they wanted was simply a “disconnect” from ONE specific connection for most of the time.

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Seriously, you think it's fine to confuse the user through broken conventions and then put the onus on the user to figure it out?. The Airplane button that has two visual states (on and off) but does not operate with two distinct states. You can't just break an interface convention and expect people to understand it.

7. geta macrumors 6502a

Thats your opinion, even though you’re wrong about the usage of these toggles. Its suppose to give you few setting shortcuts so you won’t have to open all the time the Setting app. The changes they did for the WiFi & Bluetooth toggles will force ppl to reopen the Setting app more often.

I (and most iPhone user i know) never used any of these things you mentioned, never used the Bluetooth on my phones, so why should i keep it on or even in standby mode for?? its pure waste of battery… About WiFi, i keep it always on, but if i want to disconnect from specific network\router, i’ll just erase it or turn WiFi off via Control Center, don’t know what’s your memory state, but mine works perfectly and i remember to turn it on later again when needed.

8. strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

Never used any Bluetooth...that says a lot about you. Maybe you don’t realise people use iPhones without headphone connectors. Bluetooth headphones are paramount and increasingly mainstream. You’re the exception, not the rule.

Also, Bluetooth impact on battery life is negligible. We’re in 2017 (my memory is good enough to realise which year I’m in at least...).

9. geta macrumors 6502a

One thing i'll never do is using bluetooth headphones when im listening to music coz i care about the quality, i'll continue use my trusted Sennheiser and AKG headphones over gimmicky BT ones. And if it was mainstream, Apple would give them free with new phones...

Even if BT impact on battery life is negligible as you said, i'll continue keep it off till i need it, included all the other antennas im not using from the obvious reason...

Option are always good, they should give us, the users, the option to chose if i would like to keep it on, off or in standby mode.

10. strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

I happen to also value sound quality and I prefer to have my Bowers & Wilkins P5 and P7 connected to my external Bluetooth DAC. It’s been quite good - as good as or even better than the regular connection port.

Wrong person to use the audiophile card with.

11. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

This is idiotic. It's also egregiously counterintuitive, something Apple is supposed to be against. Apple continues its slide from greatness (starting in 2013).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    NO. When people switch a thing off, they WANT IT OFF. This is how everything has always worked in the real world. This new behavior is just to avoid the help desk calls where customers accidentally disabled something they didn't mean to disable. Breaking an obvious on/off switch is NOT how you FIX this support request problem. You fix it by not putting those controls in a slide-up panel by default, and letting users configure the control availability, which APPLE JUST DID, but neglected to remove these two "problematic for end-user" controls (instead, crippling them for people who have damn good reason to use them).

People DO want to actually permanently disable wifi and bluetooth when they waste battery power by constantly being ready to use these connections when the user isn't planning to use them. Hell, it also wastes the batteries on other devices (which is why i keep Bluetooth OFF most of the time on my iPad so i don't waste the Pencil's battery when it gets bumped).

12. strategicthinke, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2017

strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

No. People do not want to turn it off, they just want to disconnect.
    I bet Apple - the almost trilionnaire market cap company - perspective in this is more accurate than yours. I’d say it’s a safe bet to think so. ;)

--- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Btw, Android does not turn Bluetooth and WiFi off either... and the impact on battery life is negligible as long as you have one of the newer models (I’d say from iPhone 6s onwards). Believe what you want though, they say we’ve come to a post-truth society anyways...

13. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

...you guys are talking as if they got rid of the whole thing completely. You can permanently turn these off through the settings app.

3D Touch the Settings icon and turn if off from there.

14. geta macrumors 6502a

Not all the phones that supporting iOS11 having 3D Touch... second, why should I open all the time the Settings to turn them completely off, for this we having the Control Canter..? Apple should make 3 way toggle with 'on-off-standby' option, or at least to having the option to chose in the Setting the what the toggle does.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    Im sure you know what every single person wont...

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the idea is that Apple thinks it's not necessarily to constantly enable and disable those settings and is trying to get people used to that essentially.

16. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Does this explain why battery drain seems to have increased under iOS 11? :mad:

17. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

You could just ask Siri to turn them on or off, no need to open settings

18. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Using speech is not always handy in certain situations.

19. pmcdn macrumors regular

It was a poorly thoughtout change. The whole point of the toggle switch in control center is to be a SHORTCUT to turn it off, not disconnect from the current network, Just like Bluetooth and all the others.

Ridiculous.

20. MacMikePro macrumors newbie

No, and that's my whole point. Why are people acting like it's so hard to just turn it off in Settings? If you want to turn it off completely then do it, it's right there in Settings. Control Center is for quick on the spot switching functions, and this new way is exactly what you want for those moments. So again, if you want to turn it off, go into Settings, if you just want to disconnect real quick, do it in control center. This new way is perfect and works just like how you would want it to. You're only complaining because you haven't realized that yet, and you just want to complain based on the fact it's "different".

21. geta macrumors 6502a

you missing the point of "on the spot switching functions" of the toggles in the Control Canter - turning WiFi & BT on\off, not specific action, device or service that connected to them. They should have done this the opposite way, 3D Touch\long press (and in the settings) you will get a list of all the active things that connected to WiFi\BT, from there you can disconnect them individually, and the toggles will keep their on the spot on\off function.

22. Rob737 macrumors newbie

Rob737

I work at a government facility and I sure as heck don't want my wifi on unless I purposefully turned it on. This update is not cool.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can still have it on (or off) using settings.

24. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

This is a really unannoying feature because if you involuntarily connect to a public WiFi network while a hacker is listening you could end up in the ****.

25. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

How would you "involuntarily connect to a public WiFi network"?