Bluetooth Enabled iPods?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Mac4Ever.com (French) publishes information from Bogdan Nedelcou, car product manager of Motorola, in a recent radio interview.

The interview with Nedelcou reveals that consumers will soon be able to listen to music wirelessly from their iPod through their car speakers. The upcoming wireless-capable iPod is expected to include Bluetooth technology.

Apple has also incorporated Bluetooth technology into its iBooks and PowerBooks.

Image from Apple Wireless Media Player Patent application

Attachments

eliamx

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2004
New York City
Bluetooth Rocks

I would love to see this happen. I'm tired of using those damn wires to connect my ipod via a tape deck. I want wireless!

:p

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
Plus syncing wirelessly is kinda nifty too. Come on apple, add a bigger color screen, and some pda functions, and this pocket pc can go out the window!

Bill

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
brap said:
Wow. These slack-lipped execs are making some prime slips recently.
Yup, and you'd think Motorola of all companies would know Apple's opinion on revealing information too soon. He must be new ;)

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Hmm.. would have to be a future version of bluetooth, wouldn't it? Bluetooth works fine for streaming music in optimal conditions, but there are lot of disturbing signals on those frequencies.

I have yet to see a bluetooth-headset for music. Someone pointed me to a Sony-Ericsson thingie once, but it proved to be an mp3-player with built in bluetooth for it to work as a handsfree for your mobile phone.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
BillHarrison said:
Plus syncing wirelessly is kinda nifty too. Come on apple, add a bigger color screen, and some pda functions, and this pocket pc can go out the window!
I would be surprised if you could sync via bluetooth - it would be horribly slow. I expect it will be limited to listening to the iPod, so wireless headphones, wireless car adaptor, maybe a new Airport Express?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
The audio quality wont be as good as the current dock connector

I would rather just have a docking station built into a deck (CD Player). The audio quality will be good but not quiet the same as the ipod your bmw style kit. But I realize this will make it cheaper and more car companies will include it as a build to order option in the deck. Plus since the ipod changes every few months, It would suck if they put a built in dock in the car and it had a diff. connection a year later.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Poff said:
SNIP
I have yet to see a bluetooth-headset for music.
SNIP
HP makes one. It only works with iPaqs though. Several other companies make them. There is a Bluetooth profile for stereo headphones. I've seen a headset/headphones combination, that works with three profiles (headset and handsfree - for connecting to your phone, and headphones, for your mp3 player). The Headphones profile allows for for pausing music.

So this headset/headphones, auto pauses your buletooth enabled MP3 player automaticlly when you start a call, and unpauses it when the call ends. Very slick.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Bluetooth speed

BillHarrison said:

Bill
How fast is Bluetooth? :confused: Syncing would probably be great. You would probably want to initially load the iPod via firewire/USB2.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Sounds good to me. Anything to give the iPod an edge over the rest of the MP3 players out there. Any word if this will be an accross the board feature or only on the higer-end models??

And I can see Steve at his WWDC keynote pulling out his new in-ear wireless headphones to introduce the new iPod :D

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
rtdgoldfish said:
Sounds good to me. Anything to give the iPod an edge over the rest of the MP3 players out there. Any word if this will be an accross the board feature or only on the higer-end models??

And I can see Steve at his WWDC keynote pulling out his new in-ear wireless headphones to introduce the new iPod :D
Syncing might be nice for the other iPod apps for contacts/calendar etc too.

gadg

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Amsterdam
This might actually convince me to get an iPod. One of my main concerns (which is also why I'm so desperately awaiting the arrival of the Motorola iTunes phones - and i so hope it doesn't look as ugly as the E1060 presented earlier this week with it's freaky green edges) is that with an iPod blasting my eardrums out I won't hear my mobile phone ring. With some funky Bluetooth profile that warns and switches sources on a stereo headset I'd be laughing.

Ofcourse, then there is still the issue of carrying 2 devices around. Which is against my personal principles.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
karellen said:
What about syncing with Buetooth 2.0?

Which is now on the new Powerbooks.
384 kbytes/second theoretical with 2.0, so it would take 23 minutes to fully sync a 512MB iPod Shuffle. Might be tolerable if you only wanted to update a few songs, but if you were updating an iPod Photo you'd be quicker poping down to the store to buy a cable ;)

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
I'm not sure how much of a convenience this would really be, but it would put apple ahead of the game again.

ja0912

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Duh. Why was this not the first thing I thought of when the Powerbooks got Bluetooth 2.0? Finally enough bandwidth for streaming audio to cars and headphones.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Maybe we'll see an iPod-lite model, with a click wheel for navigation, an LED screen and no hard drive. This iPod-lite would sell for $79 dollars and be used to control music from Airport Express stations around the home.

The iPod-lite would retrieve the music library playlists from a mac or pc with itunes running, and be able to start or stop music right from the iPod.

With other blue-tooth enabled regular iPod, they would be able to stream music to other bluetooth enabled speakers and computers. Allows for wireless syncing of addressbooks and calendar information, and be used to stream inside compatible automobiles.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
If true, the Bluetooth would work a lot better than the weak FM transmitters for sure. There's so much sound quality loss in my transmitter it's pathetic. Go bluetooth!

cyclonus5150

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2004
iTrip works just fine.

ASP272 said:
If true, the Bluetooth would work a lot better than the weak FM transmitters for sure. There's so much sound quality loss in my transmitter it's pathetic. Go bluetooth!
I don't know, I've really enjoyed my Griffin iTrip. Sounds great to me and it's extremely powerful. I've been able to listen to my iPod loud and clear while outside in my driveway cleaning out my car.....while my iPod is in the house, sitting on the kitchen counter. I've also had a friend who was behind me in his car tune to the station that I was using with my iPod and listen to everything that I decided to play for him. He said it was coming in loud and clear.

However, bluetooth earphones would be awesome...

zef

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2005
Knox said:
384 kbytes/second theoretical with 2.0, so it would take 23 minutes to fully sync a 512MB iPod Shuffle. Might be tolerable if you only wanted to update a few songs, but if you were updating an iPod Photo you'd be quicker poping down to the store to buy a cable ;)
From Apple's site:
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

The new Apple PowerBook G4 portables are the first computers to offer Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. (Earlier aluminum and titanium PowerBook G4 models feature Bluetooth 1.x support.) Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, while still backwards-compatible with Bluetooth 1.x, is up to three times faster than its predecessors, offering a maximum data rate of 3Mbps. As the first company to certify a system supporting Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (enhanced data rate) specification with the Bluetooth Qualification Board, Apple continues to popularize Bluetooth technology.

That seems a lot faster to me, not?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Knox said:
Yeah, I really doubt that the BT option will be used for updating, merely for streaming. However, 384 kB/sec is wicked fast for that purpose - it could handle uncompressed music, no problem.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
zef said:
From Apple's site:
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

The new Apple PowerBook G4 portables are the first computers to offer Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. (Earlier aluminum and titanium PowerBook G4 models feature Bluetooth 1.x support.) Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, while still backwards-compatible with Bluetooth 1.x, is up to three times faster than its predecessors, offering a maximum data rate of 3Mbps. As the first company to certify a system supporting Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (enhanced data rate) specification with the Bluetooth Qualification Board, Apple continues to popularize Bluetooth technology.

That seems a lot faster to me, not?
And your 3Mbps connection runs at exactly 3000 odd Kbps, I think not it runs at around 300Kbps which was the original number stated :)