BluRay for MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndersWhorcle, Mar 21, 2011.

1. AndersWhorcle macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is there any news/info on a bluray or HDMI port for upcoming MacBook pros? I'm ready to buy a notebook but really want those two items.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are dozens of threads on this. You won't see BluRay on MBPs.

When do you think we'll see Blu Ray and HDMI?
    MBP 2010 : Where's the bluray option?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get an external Blu-Ray drive and use that. There is a way to play BRs in OS X as well, especially if you rip them. You could always install Windows as well.

4. euphoria47 macrumors member

Apple appears to be trending away from optical drives, though I don't know how soon they will go away altogether. Apple was the first to lose the floppy drive, which caused criticism by many, though better technology left them behind shortly after in the PC world.

Steve Jobs is investing heavily into cloud-based services and storage, online purchasing, etc. This doesn't immediately work for everybody, as some people around the world lack bandwidth for HD streaming, in fact, where I have been the last 4 months, all connectivity is scarce, so I have had to rely on physical media.

Hopefully the optical drive will remain optional to those that need it, but there are many that would trade it for a bigger battery, another HD, etc. It really doesn't look like BluRay will happen between now and the end of optical drives.

As for HDMI, there is an adaptor for Macbook Pros made since 2010, which converts the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI that supports audio throughput.

5. Winnychan213 macrumors member

Giving up current technology to something that doesn't work for the majority of people who doesnt have high speed internet is a very stupid idea. Imagine BMW giving up gasoline car completely and go for electric car only, they might still able to survive but it would become a niche market. Right now Blu-ray still sells more than download and i dont really think that would change much in the near future, especially when ISP starts to implement bandwidth cap.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. modit macrumors 6502

Let me get this right.

1. My 1400 X 900 MacBook Pro can play a 720P video no problem right?
    2. If I'm downloading BD 1080P video from the net, can OSX handle it if I output the HD content by DP to HDMI adapter?

Thanks!

8. Winnychan213 macrumors member

a number of problems with your sources already
    1.) the first site talks about DVD sales is down, but blu-ray is up 84%. I should have said it better, phyiscal media still crowned king.
    2.) Does anyone still trust cnet anymore? Come on.
    3.) the third link talked about the downfall dvd sales is because of blu-ray (at least part of the reason), dvd+blu-ray still tops download sales.
    4.)Of course Microsoft would badmouth blu-ray after losing the optical drive war, would you expect Microsoft praise blu-ray just because it wins?

yet you ignore my argument that giving up current tech for tomorrow tech that isnt even ready for the public is not very smart.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Sure. Even 1080p works but obviously you can't take the full advantage of it.

2. Ripped videos work flawlessly (e.g. in MKV format). The issue is Blu-Ray disc playback which requires some special tweaks. I watch downloaded MKVs every week on my Macs.

10. modit macrumors 6502

Awesome! I use VLC to play the MKV codec.

Thanks for the response :D

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can argue with those or other sources all you want, but if you really believe Blu-ray is going to outlive digital downloads, I just have a couple questions:
    Where can I buy "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" on Betamax? :D
    Where can I get a copy of Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6 on 5 1/4" floppy disks?​
    Who is giving up current tech for tomorrow tech?

12. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Apple is. The truth of the matter is, not everyone has a reliable, stable high speed internet connection. Not everyone can download or stream HD content. If Apple is so focused on moving to tomorrow's technology (eg. Thunderbolt), why are they still only including DVD drives in their computers when other manufacturers are including Blu-ray drives?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're not giving up Blu-ray, because they never had it.
    Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Apple isn't interested in marketing to those people? You can't use an iPhone without a cellular account and iTunes is geared toward those who have credit cards. There is a market segment that Apple isn't trying to reach, intentionally.
    Perhaps because they want to be seen as leading and not following.

It amuses me to see so many criticize Apple for not being smart because they don't do what some poster in a forum thinks they should do. Their bottom line indicates they're not doing too shabby with the decisions they've made, even though some may disagree with their decisions.

14. Winnychan213, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

Winnychan213 macrumors member

Why do you put words on my mouth? When did I said blu-ray is going to outlive digital downloads? I said blu-ray will still crown king in the near future, of course download is the future when the infrastructure catches up, but right now not all people enjoys high speed internet, that is why physical media is a must for a lot of people.

Your argument on betamax is not working too, first of all, VCR wins against against betamax. Yes, you have to pay if you want to buy the dvd version of the movie, then pay again for the blu-ray version. Think about this way, today you buy the 720p version of the movie on itunes, do you think you don't have to pay again when apple upgrade its quality to 1080p in the future?

Who is giving up current tech for tomorrow tech? You cannot be serious so i am going to ignore that one.

Then its not a very smart decision for Apple, i for one will never buy anything online, how can one buy a product before examine the product with their eyes first is just beyond me. and don't know how reliable this source is, but if Apple really isn't going after those people who doesn't have an internet access, they are giving up a lot of potential market share and therefore not very smart, its simply their lost and i dont see how amusing it can be.
    http://www.economywatch.com/economic-statistics/economic-indicators/Internet_Penetration_Rate/
    United States : Internet Penetration Rate 77.30%

This is only about using internet, and how many of them are actually using high speed internet that it can support streaming media?

Leading themselves out of the market, sure. (spelling mistake)

Of course a company should produce what consumer wants, its call supply and demand, thats why a company exists. Imagine BMW only produce electric car and tells you that you dont need gasoline engine, ignoring the fact that the infrastructure doesn't catch up yet.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure they're laying off people as a result of the loss of your business!
    Tell that to Amazon, eBay, Apple, and many other billion dollar online sellers.
    LOL!! Yeah, we can see how Apple is plummeting, just like their stock!
    ScreenCap 4.png ScreenCap 3.png

16. Winnychan213, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

oh, that sounds annoying? That is the same way i feel when people in here keeps telling me that he will not buy a notebook with an optical drive inside. I am pretty sure because of one loss, hp, acer, dell would need to start laying off people as well.

To be serious, I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels that way, its evidence by physical shops still exists. Hell, even Apple starts to implement a lot of stores around the globe lately. People in general are reluctant to change, of course sometimes they even resist change even its for the better, but that doesn't mean they are a very isolate or niche market that should be ignored.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's your point? The fact remains that Apple is prospering extremely well, doing things their way. They sell over a million Macs per month, without needing Blu-ray. It's quite naive to call their decisions "not very smart" when the results of their decisions clearly illustrate that they know what they're doing.

18. Winnychan213, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

To be serious, I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels that way, its evidence by physical shops still exists. Hell, even Apple starts to implement a lot of stores around the globe lately. People in general are reluctant to change, of course sometimes they even resist change even its for the better, but that doesn't mean they are a very isolate or niche market that should be ignored. Yes, Apple is a very successful company, but its their loss to ignore a large potential market who couldn't use their download service.

And i am going to use my wallet to protest on this decision, of course its not going to matter to Apple but like i said before I am only the only one on this.

I don't think its naive at all to call their decision unwise when they are trying to sell products that doesn't fit my usage (and I am not the only one, and nor was I in a niche market that should be ignored), selling overpriced, inferior product in the itunes store. Its not up to a company to tell us what we want, its up to us to tell a company what we want. Trust me, i think this is going to bite them in the back eventually, not in the near future but eventually.

19. euphoria47 macrumors member

Actually, bandwidth is fast becoming very, very finite. Internet providers in the USA are trimming users to a couple hundred gigs a month, at best. In Canada, for many its not even 100. How many movies is that?

The global infrastructure cannot handle even the few markets Apple has secured, because those are the markets that have high bandwidth usage already, even with the use of hard copy media. How many gigs are in an HD movie? Even if you dont believe that the infrastructure can't handle it, it certainly won't, because the high speed service providers are not in a big hurry to interfere with their own business of streaming service.

There is some risk involved in Apple not adopting BluRay, in that not having it may turn away a few, especially considering that it must not really cost that much more to put the drive in, even as a +$50 option or something. I guess Jobs is banking on the bandwidth crunch being only a temporary setback.

20. korben1974us macrumors newbie

That's kinda funny. I honestly won't buy any software products that I cannot be downloaded. I hate keeping track of original media. It's great when I have a new system, I just download and install Steam, then reinstall games straight from there. Physical products are great to buy online as well. I can can get a concise review from multiple views on them and better pricing.

21. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

In some areas it's a chicken vs egg debate. Many ISP's claim they don't need to upgrade bandwidth because their customers don't need it. If a need arises, that excuse vanishes. In general, the applications of bandwidth will outpace available bandwidth. The faster the applications arise, hopefully, the faster available bandwidth increases.

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I would love it if Apple made it so we can re-download the content we have purchased off iTunes. It is getting tiring to have to manage a large video collection (instead of just deleting it and re-downloading it when I want to watch it again).

Attaching a USB/FW/TB drive to a MBP isn't a very elegant solution for a portable.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why can't people just get a Blu-Ray player and connect it to their TV? Who wants to watch movies on a tiny screen, seriously? TVs are meant for watching movies, not computers.

Why do you need to examine the enclosure of the movie first? You can see the artwork of the movie in the internet too. Or even better, watch the trailer. It's not like the movie is defective and even if it was, you wouldn't notice it before getting home.

People who do not have internet connection rarely buy computers anyway. Computers are useless with internet connection nowadays. Why should Apple care about a market that is nearly inexistent?

Go ahead and tell that to a company that is one of the most successful companies that exist today, making billions of profit each quarter. You can't please everyone but judging by Apple's profit, they please quite a few people with their current lineup.

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Luckily most BD movies I have been buying have DD with them. But for a service like netflix...

It is nice to be able to take a disc with you and watch it anywhere, versus having to worry about if you brought the DVD or if you encoded it as a DD. Even if it is on a small screen. I dunno about you, but a 480p image blown up to a 1050p screen doesn't look nearly as good as a 720p/1080p image does.

25. mynewromantica macrumors regular

ME TOO! I have been hoping Apple would at least give the option for no optical drive for at least 2 years now. I have had my MBP for about a year now and used the optical drive once or twice.

I understand the reasoning behind most of these arguments but Apple has pushed forward tech standards many times (USB, FW, removing disk drive, removing serial ports, CD drives, HTML5, etc.) They tend to not make these decisions for no good reason. They see the benefits of the new tech and the direction the curent tech is headed and choose to stay ahead of the curve.

If you don't like it don't buy the product. I want a flying car but I'm not bitching because nobody makes one.