Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I enjoyed the pun (really), but even with my glasses on, I just don't see a huge difference between quality upscaled 1080p and blu-ray. This is on a top of the line Sony XBR mind you. Yes, I can see a little more detail with blu-ray, but not enough that I really care. VHS to DVD was a bigger step IMO.

I fail at multi-quote so I'll spare myself the misery. Also, thanks for the respectful reply.

I see a huge difference between DVD and Blu-ray, so I'm not with you there. Maybe get the glasses prescription checked. I won't even bag on you for calling yourself an A/V geek and not having surround. :D I still do my critical viewing on a 1080i rear projection setup with no surround.

I think I'm the only one in the discussion that thinks Blu-ray is massively valuable in today's marketplace, but that Apple is smart for staying away. Oh well.

CraiginPA215

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
+1 wanting internal blu-ray drive in MBP, both ...

(1) for reading/writing huge data files for archival or backup purposes (e.g., like the 11-13GB .mov's I burned this weekend) and

(2) for playing Blu-Ray disc HD movies (about half my disc viewing), esp. while traveling.

Although some of that can be done with an external BD burner, it's stupidly uncomfortable to have to lug around an extra drive when traveling when there's a disc slot in the MBP.

It's dissapointing that Apple is being so closed-minded and/or trying to force everyone to re-purchase their HD movies via iTunes dnlds (especially in the face of ISP GB/month restrictions) but the real disappointment is that there's no aftermarket retrofit available. Is there no slot-type slim BD drive available anywhere?

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

See it from the future consumers perspective
Large cases full of Bluray Disks
Or
Everything stored on their hard drive
Now argue blu ray is better
Apple is working toasted the latter option by pressuring it's user base, you may hate it now but in 2-5years time you will have been wondering what was going through your head

kushed

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
i just bought my new 2011 a few weeks ago and i ordered the built in blu ray, it was such a great idea. im glad apple finally started having these as an option!!................

now i dont have to use piratebay or bt junkie! oh wait

Cave Man

macrumors 604
See it from the future consumers perspective
Large cases full of Bluray Disks
Or
Everything stored on their hard drive

You'd need three drives to ensure a low risk of data loss. I'll take one Blu-ray disc over triplicate hard drive copies for long-term durability and archival quality.

Now argue blu ray is better

There's no argument. Blu-ray is far better than anything Apple has to offer. Period.

Apple is working toasted the latter option by pressuring it's user base, you may hate it now but in 2-5years time you will have been wondering what was going through your head

Yeah, 3D is already here and by then 4K will probably be making its way to consumers. Then what will be Apple's excuse? How about bandwith charges from ISPs, such as Comcast?

If they want to keep the iTunes Store going, that's fine by me. But don't pretend that in several years it will be anything near the quality of Blu-ray of today. What's so hard about giving the consumer the choice by allowing the necessary code in OS X for Blu-ray disc support? It's there for Windows. It's even there for Linux.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'd like an option for a built in BD drive (and an option for a 2nd HDD/SDD instead too!), but I doubt it will ever happen.

I went the external USB BD player route, then rip with makemkv and view with vlc.

Alternatively I'd like to be able to connect my PS3 and use my MBP as the output screen kind of like how the iMac can take video in. Then my MBP can completely replace my TV :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Surely you don't mean that crap from Apple? And here do you get your 1080p DTS content?

I've been hearing good feedback about VUDU. While it still cannot fight against Blu-Ray in terms of quality (HDX is up to 9Mb/s, BR up to 54Mb/s), it seems to provide the best streaming service. Yes, HDX is 1080p. I think you even said once that it's pretty hard to see any difference between 15Mb/s BR rip and native ~50Mb/s playback.

Sadly, VUDU isn't available here so I haven't had a chance to try it.

If I put a blu-ray drive in my macbook pro, and boot windows (natively) can I watch a blu-ray disc, or do I need a TMP chip in my computer?

AFAIK, it will work. There are Mac Pro owners with BR drives and lots of people with ext BR drives and they don't need any extra equipment. There is also a way to play BRs in OS X.

While I agree with you, for arguments sake there are a lot of people with 27 inch iMacs and Cinema Displays.

Well, this thread was about MBP. Using an external drive with a desktop isn't that bad either, although OS X still needs official support for BR playback.

Why buy an extra blu-ray player if apple decides to put one in there? You think money can be grown from trees?

And you think Apple is going to give you a BR drive for free? BR player goes for a low as 100$ and I'm pretty damn sure that Apple would charge you a lot more for one. Second ODD in Mac Pro costs 100$ from Apple while 3rd party ODDs are close to 20$.

Winnychan213

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
The OP was asking about the chances of Apple putting Blu-ray in the MBP line. The chance is near zero. You were going on about all the horrible mistakes that Apple is making from a strategic perspective.

It doesn't matter what you and your friends are doing. Apple is assessing the big picture and they seem to be doing quite well.

http://www.marco.org/4012540846

Don't be so sure about it just yet, Jobs said a lot of things and then did the opposite later.

Winnychan213

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
And you think Apple is going to give you a BR drive for free? BR player goes for a low as 100$ and I'm pretty damn sure that Apple would charge you a lot more for one. Second ODD in Mac Pro costs 100$ from Apple while 3rd party ODDs are close to 20$.
It should be since the price is that much higher than PC, but regardless its there or not, why buy an extra blu-ray drive if one can get in on a macbook already?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It should be since the price is that much higher than PC

That logic never works.

but regardless its there or not, why buy an extra blu-ray drive if one can get in on a macbook already?

Because you can't. There may be some 3rd party drives that are compatible but you will end up paying more than you would for a regular Blu-Ray player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.