BMW M1 -- I want one

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
827
0
the states for now
I saw one of these on the road yesterday. It was an older black version with more rock salt stains all over but similar. As far as I know you cannot even buy one here but have to import it. I want one though. I think its better looking than even the M3.

 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
ieani said:
I saw one of these on the road yesterday. It was an older black version with more rock salt stains all over but similar. As far as I know you cannot even buy one here but have to import it. I want one though....
Don't know what you saw but it wasn't an M1. BMW stopped making the M1 in about 1980 and it was a true supercar not a hot-hatch.


... I think its better looking than even the M3.
Not hard.
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,794
4
Hartge have developed a One Series with an M5 engine in. It'll cost more than an M5 though!

I'm trying to find info on line, I'll edit post when I do, unless someone beats me to it...



Hartge H1
5.0 Litre V8, 450 HP. Top Speed 188mph, 0-60 4.6sec.
Price £105,000.
 

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
827
0
the states for now
mpw said:
Don't know what you saw but it wasn't an M1. BMW stopped making the M1 in about 1980 and it was a true supercar not a hot-hatch.



Not hard.
I followed the car for 10 minutes. It had a BMW emblem on the front and M1 on the back. It did not look like any BMW or car i had seen before. And I know there is a one class(http://www.bmw.de/de/produkte/automobiles/1er/index.html) only availiable in europe.
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,794
4
This is the BMW 130i M Sport.





3.0 straight 6, 256bhp, Top Speed 155mph, 0-60 6.1 sec.
£26,515


Apparently it's very disappointing.
 

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
342
2
Luxland
mock up

This picture of yours is a mockup from a normal promotional photograph of the 1 series found on BMW's site.
The 130i M sport model is going to be plenty fast and that hartge M5 :eek:
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,794
4
Edit: You mean the OP's image.


It's a very dodgy photoshop job when you look closer.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,521
2,557
Sod off
edesignuk said:
On Top Gear they have the 130i M up against the new Golf R32 (I think), the R32 was much better by all accounts.
IIRC it was slightly faster than the Golf around the track, but the Golf was close in performance, a lot cheaper and not as ugly. Maybe it was a Golf GTI though? Can't remember. I have to say, I like the fact that it is rear-wheel drive but the 1-series is very ugly, IMHO.

BTW, the 1 series should be coming to the US this year if I remember correctly.

I'd rather have a Golf or Audi A3.
 

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
993
0
Perth, Oztrailya
Lord Blackadder said:
IIRC it was slightly faster than the Golf around the track, but the Golf was close in performance, a lot cheaper and not as ugly. Maybe it was a Golf GTI though?
Nah, it was the new R32. Won hands down I think. Besides, I wouldn't pay much attention to their lap times... to compare you'd need to do lots of laps in each; as far as I can tell they only do one per car!
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,521
2,557
Sod off
dops7107 said:
Nah, it was the new R32. Won hands down I think. Besides, I wouldn't pay much attention to their lap times... to compare you'd need to do lots of laps in each; as far as I can tell they only do one per car!
R32 it is then. :)

I think they said that the BMW was less slightly faster on track. But that was overshadowed by the fact that it was crappier to drive, not as nice inside and significantly more money.

I wouldn't call Top Gear scientific, but at least they'll happily rip on a car they don't like - whether they're right or wrong it's better than most US car mags which praise every new car whether it's crap or quality.

The R32 is what BMW should have made for its 1 Series.
 

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
3,418
4
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
The 1 Series is a car for slightly less wealthy image-obsessed *******s.

I predict it will sell like hotcakes in the US.

The real M1, on the other hand, is a true connoisseur's automobile.
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,745
3,995
Republic of Ukistan
pseudobrit said:
The 1 Series is a car for slightly less wealthy image-obsessed *******s.

I predict it will sell like hotcakes in the US.

The real M1, on the other hand, is a true connoisseur's automobile.
Spoken like a true communist.
:D
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,794
4
I've never liked BMW (except the M1 and the X-coupe).
I've always seen them as cars for the unimaginative:

You have some money but no imagination, you buy a BMW
You have a bit more money but no imagination, you but a Porsche
You have a lot of money, but no imagination, you but a Ferrari
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
bartelby said:
I've never liked BMW (except the M1 and the X-coupe).
I've always seen them as cars for the unimaginative:

You have some money but no imagination, you buy a BMW
You have a bit more money but no imagination, you but a Porsche
You have a lot of money, but no imagination, you but a Ferrari
What do you buy if you've got imagination? A Hyundai, but pretend it's a Ferrari? Brmm, brmm!
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,794
4
mpw said:
What do you buy if you've got imagination? A Hyundai, but pretend it's a Ferrari? Brmm, brmm!

Off the top of my head I'd have
an Alfa as opposed to a BMW
A Noble M400 instead of a Porsche
and a late edition Lambo Miura instead of a Ferrari.


Edit: Actually I'd rather have a Citroen DS or a Lancia Integrale instead of a BMW
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Lord Blackadder said:
R32 it is then. :)
Nah... get a Focus ST, by all accounts it's better than both and pretty much on a par with a Porsche Cayman. ;) It's that good. And it sounds unfookingbelievable. ;)