BMW to Support New 'iPod Out' Feature in iOS 4

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

BMW is the first car manufacturer to have announced support for a little-known feature in iOS 4 called iPod Out. CNET reported last week on this new iOS 4 feature:

This feature allows a connected iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPod Touch (second or third generation) to output and display an iPod interface on a connected device's external screen. That device, in this case, would be a future BMW or Mini vehicle.

Rather than displaying BMW or Mini's iPod interface, the connected vehicle would display Apple's own interface, which will be controllable with the vehicle's controls. Users will be able to control the iPod's music playback and browse their music catalog, playlists, podcasts, and Genius mixes.
BMW has released a video demonstrating the feature that is coming in their cars in 2011.

The new feature allows users to see an iPod interface on the car's display while also providing direct control and access to features such as Genius mixes.

An Apple patent application filed in May 2008 and published in November 2009 revealed that the company had been researching methods to allow media devices like the iPhone and iPod to "push" their interfaces to accessories to provide more native-like control from the accessories. That technology seems to have finally made its appearance as iOS 4's "iPod Out" feature being used by BMW.

Article Link: BMW to Support New 'iPod Out' Feature in iOS 4

salesguy

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
iDrive users rejoice everywhere but then realize they have to go back to using it once their iPhone is unplugged.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
is it just me, or do they seem to be making this a way bigger deal than it is?
this isn't something amazing.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Take that Sync®!

Like this better. UI & iOS updated by Apple. Does Microsoft's Sync have a way of updating their Sync technology and who does it and how is it done?

Plus, as usual, UI looks much better than sync.

And if this moves from car manufacturer to car manufacturer, you take your iPod and iOS "with you" on your next car purchase. If I understand the future of this correctly.

Looks good. :apple:

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
No and I doubt they are first. Ford has been working and adding this to new and past sync systems. Soon I'll be able say to run slacker on my Sync system.

BMW users still paying too much and lagging behind Sync.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Perhaps you don't have a car with media screen, but this has been a feature I am looking forward to since 2008. I want iPhone display on the screen for easier viewing as oppose to having to constantly look at my phone or buy a 3rd party cradle.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
No and I doubt they are first. Ford has been working and adding this to new and past sync systems. Soon I'll be able say to run slacker on my Sync system.
Ford and Microsoft are two companies that I try avoid as much as possible, so their advances are almost irrelevant to their own perspective industry as a whole.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
This needs to go even further, allowing for integration with other applications that might be on the user device.

I should, for example, be able to select a Pandora station directly from the BMW (or Audi, etc) interface as well as the local content on the iPhone or iPod.

I love German automobiles (I've owned three) but they are always lagging the latest domestic and Japanese innovations when it comes to integrating everything into the cockpit.

I was going to purchase an Audi S4 this year but decided to hold off as it is widely expected that the 2011 or 2012 A4/S4 will have a completely re-worked cockpit that will take the electronics and smart phone integration to the next level.

cdp1276

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2005
Fairport, NY
I really hope they can make this backwards compatible via software update to cars with the latest iDrive, not needing new hardware to support this. I have a 2010 8 months old, and really really want this!!!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
why that if I may ask?
Ford has not made a model worth consideration for decades. Its counter part has always offered more in almost every categories.

I have switched just about everything from Microsoft to Apple, and I couldn't be happier.

abiusambiz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Arcadia, CA
very true! The fact that I've had iPod/iPhone integration in my KIA since 2008 kinda defeats the purpose of this. I too can control everything from my music to my apps and even play youtube through the speakers in my car using my head unit! hahaha... and it only cost $150! Curious to see how much this will cost BMW drivers!

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I have a 2005 E46 ZHP with the OEM Navigation-it would be awesome if this would also be backward compatible for it. If not, at least I know that this be featured in future BMW's.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
i dont think a lot of people realise this isnt just music sending or tracklistings, more like your iphone / ipod interface on the built in systems, this is a totally new ios4 feature that could mean very big things in the future.

Voytech

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Color me somewhat unamused? I was expecting a direct port of the iTouch experience, not a iPod classic looking interface. Doesn't look or seem to be so revolutionary. I would like to see Lexus do this with a their touch screen units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.