Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
2 weeks ago my wife (aged 30) was diagnosed T1DM that requires intense glucose monitoring, we've been using FreeStyle Libre and it works just fine. That being said, glucose monitoring from Apple Watch can be a game changer considering the non-invasive and (probably) continuous nature, not to mention it can be way more affordable (as opposed to the $1,000 / year for the cost of Libre sensors
We don't know that for certain. These are only leaks/ rumours
I work in the lab industry. Don’t hold your breath. Years away

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
If they just put in glucose monitoring I would purchase day 0. Taking your own temperature is easy.
Sure taking it once is easy. A sensor on an Apple Watch would be able to take it every 30 minutes and let you see trends before you knew anything was up.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Body Temperature sensor? That's hot. ;)

I still see no compelling reason to upgrade from my Apple Watch 4. The new features since then are nice to haves, but not must haves. I don't use anywhere near all the memory on my 4, and it still holds a decent charge. The o2 sensor would be nice but it's not making me rush to the Apple store today and buy one.

The best features (ECG, fall detection, Apple Pay) are all ready there. And, it also still tells time pretty well. Don't get me wrong, I still think that dollars to doughnuts my Apple watch is some of the best tech money I ever spent. It's one of the few things I won't leave home without. It's worth every penny I spent on it.

But I think we're reaching the point we did with the phones where the changes will be incremental, and not worthy of "keynote" events. I upgraded to the 12P when it came out primarily for 5G, which until now has been a disappointment on VZW. Hopefully that changes on the 19th. I got the 13 PM to get the better camera and the bigger screen, which is what I really wanted. But the changes are kinda small compared to where they were just 5 years ago.

I'll be holding off on the watch upgrade for a while I suppose....
This. Exactly.

The Series 4 was a real turning point. Mine still works so well that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much. I might get an 8 anyway, but the body temp sensor or flatter design would be the big ticket items to convince me.

Reactions: Matti_

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
Apple has been working with Rockley Photonics since 2017. They have spent at least $70M on Rockley technology so far. Not sure if Rockley's progress has hit a roadblock or if it is on track. Rockley wasn't expecting to see significant revenue from their solution until 2023 so maybe the AW8 won't receive any new technology. It seems that body temperature is probably the one measurable that Rockley has made the most progress with (See: rockley-photonics-announces-results-preliminary-143500138.html). Also Rockley released a slide deck that gives a great overview of their technology: Rockley Investor Presentation

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Bummer. But honestly, the S7 is pretty great with the faster charging. I could go for some reasons to not update my watch, so I'm fine if there isn't much in the S8.

Reactions: JM

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This. Exactly.

The Series 4 was a real turning point. Mine still works so well that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much. I might get an 8 anyway, but the body temp sensor or flatter design would be the big ticket items to convince me.
I would upgrade if they had a model with always visible seconds. Otherwise, my 4 works great.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
So S6 -> S7 already felt like an incremental update. What is the S8 going to have for new sensors to get people to upgrade? Or is the rugged version going to be the big thing this year?

Apple really needs stronger competition in the smart watch/fitness tracker space to keep the Apple Watch from stagnating.

Reactions: Matti_

namenotfound

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
My Microsoft Band had a skin temperature sensor in 2015. The Band was great as a health watch. The only downside was the durability where the band met the case. I had one replaced under warranty, but the replacement fractured at the same spot. Data was transferred to the Microsoft Health cloud servers via the IOS app.

Reactions: _Spinn_

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
It is, but wouldn't necessarily be so with a watch. The watch IS touching and creates some heat in itself which could skew results. That may negate the "when used correctly".
You don’t think apple would read the “when used correctly” page? I’m certain apple could compensate for those issues. They put a EKG in the watch. Im sure that had as much or more stipulations.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Well, then this year may be focused on the rugged / GShock killer variant. And next year a new sensor.

My thoughts as well. It'll take all the attention away from the 'regular' S8 being pretty much the same.

As well, if they seriously improve on watchOS, that might be enough.

iamryan

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2022
San Francisco
I'd like to see them fix the issue with the sensors working for people who have wrist/sleeve tattoos. Really limits the value the watch when half of the features dont work right.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Bummer. But honestly, the S7 is pretty great with the faster charging. I could go for some reasons to not update my watch, so I'm fine if there isn't much in the S8.
Yea it was great spending $400 for the s6 new and feeling that my s6 was a solid purchase, and not getting FOMO when the s7 came out. Incremental is just a fine on watch. Personally I kept my S0 for five years until the 6 came out. Awesome upgrade ?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
So S6 -> S7 already felt like an incremental update. What is the S8 going to have for new sensors to get people to upgrade? Or is the rugged version going to be the big thing this year?

Apple really needs stronger competition in the smart watch/fitness tracker space to keep the Apple Watch from stagnating.
Actually…. If Apple released a watch that was something crazy like 500M diving depth rating, that would make be amazing enough upgrade for the S8. Let’s make RUGGED rugged…. Not just some shock absorption.

Reactions: johnmarki

johnmarki

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
Selfishly I want this Apple Watch to actually be a step up across the board and to evolve into a mini powerhouse; Better Battery, More than 1 additional sensor/yr, improved UWB, and a flatter, chamfered design. Realistically, I'm not expecting much more than an updated OS and some watch bands. Everyone is different and incremental updates/upgrades serve a purpose. There is a reason Apple is so profitable...but for me, I expect a new evolutionary cycle for the watch to start soon as it has become stale to me the last few versions.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I can wait. It's not as if MY life depended upon these things. Maybe Apple believes they can wait before saving more lives as well.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sure taking it once is easy. A sensor on an Apple Watch would be able to take it every 30 minutes and let you see trends before you knew anything was up.
Those trends that you’re referring to, have to be taken into account for different types of level activity that would spike your temperature every 30 minutes. Probably also depends on how sensitive the sensor is.

I don’t think the temperature would need to be taken every 30 minutes, maybe on the hour as a default. Apple could possibly offer intervals of when you want the temperature taken, to conserve battery life or disabled completely if the user doesn’t want the temperature taken with accounts of using more physical exertion.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Or, hear me out, people could not upgrade every year. I know that's unthinkable but it might just be an option. People who want to upgrade or purchase or replace a lost/damaged watch then would have an option without waiting another year or buying 'older' technology.
Right? I'm still using a Series 5 and I'm not feeling like I'm missing anything, but if my Series 5 died I would buy a Series 7.

LlamaLarry

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
If they just put in glucose monitoring I would purchase day 0. Taking your own temperature is easy.
I'd be first in line if the AW could directly read my Dexcom CGM directly instead of needed my phone. Currently I am Dexcom CGM -> Dexcom iPhone app -> Fitbit iPhone app -> Glance watch face. Until the AW shortens that link I will stick with my Sense.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
Those trends that you’re referring to, have to be taken into account for different types of level activity that would spike your temperature every 30 minutes. Probably also depends on how sensitive the sensor is.

I don’t think the temperature would need to be taken every 30 minutes, maybe on the hour as a default. Apple could possibly offer intervals of when you want the temperature taken, to conserve battery life or disabled completely if the user doesn’t want the temperature taken with accounts of using more physical exertion.
Yeah, I only mentioned 30 minutes as an example. It's also what Apple uses for the O2 sampling rate. The real point was that the OP said taking your temperature was easy, which is true, but doesn't take into account that the Apple Watch will take it for you passively, giving you more data and enabling trend analysis.

As far as activity, Apple Watch will know how much activity is taking place and so can possibly take that into account when determining trends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.