BodyGuardz on MacBook Pro - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skymastr16, Oct 23, 2008.

1. skymastr16 macrumors newbie

I have the BodyGuardz on my iPhone 1st Gen and love it. However since the iPhone is exponentially smaller I feel that it might be a better experience than on a MBP. However I still am interested in trying it out but not so keen on paying $50 for something unless I have strong feedback from people who actually use it on their MBP with positive results.

If you have applied BodyGuarz on your MBP please give me your feedback and any tips on apply because after putting it on my iPhone I can only imagine how tedious it will be to put one on an enter MBP.

Thanks in advance!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you want full protection you would probably want the BodyGuardz or InvisiShield and then something like the Incase Hard Shell.

3. skymastr16 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I'm looking for people who have actually used the product to provide real feedback from personal use :)

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I don't like the look of those plastic film. They make your laptop look glossy. I like the naked look of anodized aluminium. Just take extra care.

5. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I've got a zagg InvisiShield on my iphone 3g and love it. I was considering a shield for my MBP, but I"m also unsure...

6. watergun macrumors regular

I did install Invisible Shield on my old MBP. It is much more difficult than iPhone due to its extra large size. I found having an extra hand to assist holding and lining up the shield helped a tons. I suspect new MBP bring the difficulty to the next level, just like iPhone 3G, with its curvy shape.

BTW, the BodyGuardz for the new MB is on its way so we will see soon.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sorry I was kinda busy and realized I didn't answer your question.

I place the InvisibleShield on my MacBook Pro and then a Speck and now Incase Shell. I am very pleased that I put them on there. It took about two hours and that was rather annoying. I obviously did steam room, soap and the other tricks. it was painful to install and very difficult, like it's been said the new shape is only going to make that worse.

With the Speck case I am happy that I had it on, I really think it helped from some scratches. The Incase is hard to tell, having an Incase shell on my other MacBook Pro with no InvisibleShield, I don't really know how many scratches I really have saved it from. I would imagine being just naked it's going to protect from scratches, but obviously not from dents. This is something to remember since your notebook is not going in your pocket, scratches are easier to prevent, whereas dents are the more likely of things.

8. zevot macrumors member

so which one is better for the purpose...bodyguardz or invisible shield?

has any of you owned both and can compare which is better? (price aside)

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

:eek::eek:
    You sir, did something very wrong then. When I installed mine, it took at most, 20 minutes including the time to push out the bubbles.

It really wasn't difficult. Much easier than the iPhone, IMO, as there aren't as many small corners and buttons to deal with. Be sure to use plenty of the solution on both the computer and the shield and work FAST once you spray it.

10. watergun macrumors regular

Just by using the below pics from their websites for reference:

Invisible Shield
    [​IMG]

BodyGuardz
    [​IMG]

It seems to me that BodyGuardz covers the sides (cd slot, ports, etc.) while Invisible Shield doesnt. I can be wrong though.

FWIW, I tried both on iPhone 3G. Material wise: Invisible Shield is prob thicker but Bodyguardz is clearer (more transparent). Cutting wise: I havent tried Invisible Shield new design but their 1st design was pretty bad for iPhone 3G. Maybe they rushed it out (they had it the first day iPhone 3G was out). Bodyguardz cutting for iPhone 3G was very good.

11. zevot macrumors member

that's a gd observation that you hv made there...i actually looked at both of the sites and didnt notice they cover different areas

i like that bodyguardz is more transp. but i just had a look at their website n the shipping to the UK would be more than 20USD... :(:(:mad:

guess i would go with invisible shield which has free shipping :D:D

actually do u think that's necessary cuz u will probably put it in a sleeve when in transport anyway...

12. skymastr16 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for the feedback thus far. i too put bodyguardz on my 1st gen iphone and really enjoy it. I have an incase sleeve so i'm obviously only relying on the bodyguard to prevent scratching from normal use.

To those of you who have used bodyguardz on their laptop - are the corners ugly/easily peeling off after a lot of use? this is one thing that worries me because the corners aren't the PRETTIEST parts of the wrap and based on my iphone, if it was under a lot of stress/hand contact, could eventually start peeling and bending and looking terrible. any feedback with this concern would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

13. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

How "shiny" do these films appear? I can't really judge by the one on my iphone, because the touchscreen itself is obviously reflective.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

See my thread for pics. It is shiny, indeed.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=534188

15. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Thanks for the link. I'm gravitating towards the bodyguardz and the ability to buy separate pieces, because I don't really see a point of protecting the bottom of the MBP.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Haha, that's funny, because that's the only part I want to put it on. :D I had an air, and the only part that I managed to pick up scratched on was the bottom, so I want to avoid that on my new pro.

17. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Haha. My only concern about the bottom - is it difficult to get inside the machine (say, if i'd like to upgrade the ram)?

18. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I'm not sure about the new MBP but on the classic one the RAM lid is just next to the battery. Those protective film should have precision cut outs to allow you to take your battery off.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You have to remove the entire bottom to access the ram on the new ones.

I am assuming (hoping) that the bodyguards will have cutouts for the screws that have to be removed for the ram (and if they don't I will make them :eek:).

20. watergun macrumors regular

I am pretty sure the cutting will allow you to access the screws. At least, that was the case with old MBP and also MBA.

21. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

My MBP just came in the mail... I don't think I can put any shiny material on this gorgeous specimen. The look of the anodized (sp?) aluminum is just too nice for now :eek:

22. eddyhttp macrumors regular

They need to hurry up with the hard cases for the new macbook pros.

So do you guys suggest to put a clear film first then get a hard case?

Which feels less sticky/tacky, the invisashield or the bodyguardz?

23. ecko5 macrumors newbie

would the shields cause the mbp's to heat up more?

24. eddyhttp macrumors regular

I dont think that is much of a problem since they won't be covering any of the fan vents. The film is so thin that they couldn't insulate.

25. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

This appears to be the general consensus