Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MedinaJ78

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Japan
Just finished installing BSE on my Unibody MBP. ;):D Looks great so far. Still waiting the 24 hour period, before I turn it on. :confused:

The top once installed I think may have stretched a bit, and one of the corners is pushing out past the edge.:( Maybe as it dries it will shrink down juuuust enough to bring that edge back in. If not, I will have to shave it somehow, carefully to prevent it from beginning to peel off from that area.:cool:
I will try to post pictures.
Dealing with the sides wasn't any fun as is, so looking at the other brands and the details they provide, sounds like too much effort.

My MBP will also be inside a Booq Vyper M3, so the majority of it is protected. :cool:
My Vyper M3 should be here soon. :)
It would be nice to find some sort of a small ballistic nylon type case to hold some accessories, like my travel mouse, Power supply, and small accessories of the sort.

tester001

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
RE: BodyGuardz on MacBook Pro - Good or Bad?

:confused: I can't decide either! I haven't bought any of the film,
but these are my observations for full body protection:

BODYGUARDZ
- protects top, but has a cut-out for the Apple logo
(some say because of possible overheating of the light)
- protects bottom, but has cut-outs for screws, so bottom can be opened
(2 separate films, one for the main bottom part; one for the battery cover)
- protects front and two sides - left with ports & battery indicator and right with drive
- protects sides of the keyboard with cut-out for power button
- protects the wrist pad and track pad

INVISIBLESHIELD
- protects whole top area, and no cut-out for the Apple logo
- protects bottom, but has cut-outs for screws, so bottom can be opened
(2 separate films, one for the main bottom part; one for the battery cover)
- protects front and two sides - some parts of left with ports & battery indicator and some parts of right with drive
- protects sides of the keyboard with cut-out for power button (attached to the sides, so it overlaps a bit)
- protects the wrist pad and track pad
An InvisibleShield review: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/reviews/invisibleshield-for-aluminum-macbook-review/

:apple: I have been in contact with both brands through customer service.

Can anyone clarify Best Skins Ever because their website does not have
pictures of products with their film protection. Does anyone have links to
photos or videos featuring top, bottom, front, sides, track pad, wrist rest...
etc. of BSE?

Which products cover the black area that links the screen to the keyboard?

P.S. I think BodyGuardz on Macbook Pro is GOOD.
The proction for the sides of the keyboard and the wrist rest are separate, so
you don't have to have both pieces. But, I'm still not sure about the Apple
logo cut-out issue. Plus, I have not seen any pictures of both films applied
onto the side. Anyone who has them, please upload and post them. Thanks!

tester001

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Just by using the below pics from their websites for reference:

Invisible Shield
APPMB2FB.jpg

BodyGuardz
MacBook13Unibody-2.jpg

It seems to me that BodyGuardz covers the sides (cd slot, ports, etc.) while Invisible Shield doesnt. I can be wrong though.

FWIW, I tried both on iPhone 3G. Material wise: Invisible Shield is prob thicker but Bodyguardz is clearer (more transparent). Cutting wise: I havent tried Invisible Shield new design but their 1st design was pretty bad for iPhone 3G. Maybe they rushed it out (they had it the first day iPhone 3G was out). Bodyguardz cutting for iPhone 3G was very good.

invisibleSHIELD also covers the sides (cd slot, ports, etc.), but invisibleSHIELD's film
for the sides of the keyboard is connected to the wrist/palm rest, so you have to put
both even if you only want one of those areas covered.

In BodyGuardz you can choose because they are three different
films. (1 palm/wrist rest, 2 sides of keyboard: left and right)

I do not know anything about their strength only that invisibe -
SHIELD's was used for "helicopters" while BodyGuardz's was for "automobiles".
(According to the description in their websites.)

Oh, and for Best Skins Ever, people claim that it covers the black part that
connects the screen to the keyboard. I'm not sure, though.
The invisibleSHIELD has that part covered, and I'm sure of that.
I don't know if the BodyGuardz also have it covered yet.

People have also said that the Best Skins Ever and invisibleSHIELD have
the "orange peel" effect, and that BodyGuardz doesn't have that, and that
BodyGuardz is clearer/more transparent than the other two films.

By the way, can you post more pictures of the sides (ports' side
nd cd slot's side)? I just want to see clearly which areas are
covered. Thanks!

* I'm leaning on the BodyGuardz side now.

Mikeg428

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Bodygaurdz

I originally got the bodygaurdz for my iPhone 3g and at first it was confusing but I got a replacement and did it again.the second time I did it itcame out great. I highly recommend this product. I just got a MacBook air and I must say it is a lot easier than I though. I have a couple of bubbles but they most likely will dissappear. If not I'll have a pretty much scratch proof MacBook.it's a cover it doesn't have to be perfect just to protect it.

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I won't go without Bodyguardz on my MBP. I had it on my first before it got stolen and I just applied Bodyguardz on my new 15" MBP yesterday. Some tips:

The application fluid comes in two bottles but I still find that I run out well before I'm finished. I prefer to use them for the sides and palm rest only then to fill the bottles with soapy water for applying the top and bottom. The fluid that comes with the Bodyguardz does not allow you to move around the top and bottom film enough for you to get good positioning. It's still too tacky and difficult use if you make a small positioning mistake. Use the soapy water and you'll be able to move the film around easily. You may get some clouding under the film but that will disappear when it dries.

Bodyguardz recommends that you apply the palm rest film first and I agree. Do the palm rest then the sides. When the bottles are empty, replace with soapy water and then do the bottom and finally the top. By doing it in this order, you empty the bottles for the top and bottom but also you leave yourself time to deal with the corners on the top and bottom films which always take extra time to get them to adhere properly. I prefer the cupped palm method for the corners which should be shown in either the Bodyguardz or IS videos (maybe for the iPhone films).

Watch the video! See how the woman in the video (assuming it's the same video) peels off the film pieces and lays them over her arm? Use that method! It's great and easy to do. It also assures that you won't get any dust on the film before you apply it. Just make sure you wear a long-sleeved shirt if your arms are hairy to be sure that you don't get a loose hair on the sticky side of the film. They are a bitch to remove!

If you do manage to get something stuck on the sticky side before or during application, spray the area with soapy water and move whatever it is off the closest side. It should come off fairly easily although loose hair is harder to remove than dust or dirt.

Do NOT use the soapy water method for the palm rest or side pieces as they will slide around to much when you go to move your laptop around in order to apply the top and bottom. Use the included fluid as that keeps everything in place better.

My Bodyguardz fit perfectly and took about 15 minutes to apply. I've done many of these for iPods, iPhones, Macbooks and Macbook Pros so I'm quite familiar with them. I've used BSE, IS and Bodyguardz and obviously Bodyguardz is my favorite. The IS film is just not smooth enough and I've had problems with them peeling off on the edges when dirt gets trapped underneath the film. That never happened with IS films before but was terrible on my iPhone. It seems that their quality has worsened. BSEs were just a nightmare to apply on my iPhone and I was not impressed by them. The Bodyguardz aren't perfect either but they are, IMHO, the best of the films available. They all stretch too easily but the IS films stretch least of all.

hastyle

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Im a bit confused on what its being protected along the side for the BG and BSE?? cant seem to find any pictures of the side template. do they wrap all the way around the entire side, covering the the usb, ethernet port, power slot, etc.? and how many peices are they?

anyone got any pics?

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.