Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Here you go... this picture is comparing the backs of the two. The China one is on the left and the Authentic 12 South Product on the Right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23863998@N02/6427179543/lightbox/

This next shot is the two spines of case The top is obviously the Authentic but my book book is darker than most Authentic Book Books.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23863998@N02/6427170649/lightbox/

This shot is of the inside leather area the holds the iPhone. The Authentic one is on top and the China one is on the bottom. This area may be synthetic leather on the China product.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23863998@N02/6427173277/lightbox/

This last shot is the front flap that coves the phone. The Authentic one is on the left and the China product on the right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23863998@N02/6427176567/lightbox/

The lining on the inside of the case may not be genuine leather because the texture doesn't feel like it but that is probably why this case is less than half of the authentic one. I have since put this China model on ebay and its all but a memory now.

For those who are willing to sacrifice the inside holding not being made of real leather, then this is not a terrible investment but I am skeptical to is durability. I for one love the authentic product and would recommend those who are considering the Book Book for long term use stick with the authentic product. Those who like to switch out cases frequently might benefit form the knock off because its an inexpensive option for short term use. If you have seen and held an authentic Book Book, this knock off will probably leave you a bit disappointed but you are saving money. For someone how has never seen or held an authentic Book Book... hey... you know no better.

Hi could you repost the pictures ? The links to them dont work :(. thanks, cheers

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
I looked up the link on sw-box. Wow, what a difference, the authentic one looks so much nicer.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
The one from aliexpress states not compatible with iPhone 4s.... that is strange. I would like to see the build quality of this one. Post some pics when you receive it. I am very happy with my authentic model but am interested to see if some of the knockoffs can look as good.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
This case is seriously the cutest accessory I have ever seen for a mobile device. I absolutely LOVE it. I got mine for $36 on eBay, shipped from within the US. Maybe it's a knockoff, but I'm still uber pleased with it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
If you guys have doubts about the fakes having real leather, take a metal safety pin and heat it the tip until it glows red and put it against the leather. If the leather melts, it's plastic. Or you can just not ruin your case :D

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
If you guys have doubts about the fakes having real leather, take a metal safety pin and heat it the tip until it glows red and put it against the leather. If the leather melts, it's plastic. Or you can just not ruin your case :D

Haha. Now that there's so many knock offs out there I'm scared to order one, and definitely don't want to pay $60 for one. But I decided anyway to contact a few sellers on eBay and see if theirs is the authentic version or fake version. Btw everyone still loving their case as much as all of you state in this thread?

frocco

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Having trouble with my order from amazon.
The case is blocking the proximity sensor.

Anyone else having issues on their 4s?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Got mine for Christmas from the wife and I love it. No issues on my 4s with sensors or anything. Seems to work fine.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I saw the pictures and thought this thing was stupid. Then I watched the video and thought it's a cool wallet + phone case.

It's not for me, but it's pretty cool.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
I bought one today in an Apple Store (UK). I was browsing around the cases and kept getting lured back to this after I had tried it on my iPhone.

It's lovely. Really nicely made, actually not as thick as I thought it would be so I'm happy with that. Now I'm just waiting for the spine to "break in" so that it stays closed when I put it down and that kind of thing.

I have a White iPhone 4S and even though the packaging says it's for iPhone 4 it fits perfectly. The silent switch is perfectly positioned (it's right in the centre of the hole) and I have no problems with the proximity sensor as it's not obscuring that.

Lovely case. I recommend buying it in an Apple Store if you can as when I was looking through all the cases to choose one I noticed a bit of colour difference, which is probably naturally due to the leather. On mine the spine colour blends in very nicely with the rest of it and the Gold embossing is quite subdued (especially the words "Book Book) so it suits me fine :)

natalie1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
The same thing happened to mine with the faded spine. Twelve South sent me a new one that was better, but I just couldn't bring myself to switch cases. My old one was broken in so well, that I sent the new case back. Just love this case! Take care!

For those who availed of TS' warranty, do you have to wait till TS received your broken bookbook before they send a replacement? I'm just wondering since red kiosk was able to choose between his old bookbook and the replacement. I wanted to claim warranty because of the faded spine and already contacted them but I'm worried that the replacement will have problems like the mute button not lining up, etc. So do I have to send my old bookbook back ASAP or would they send the replacement without waiting for the old one?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I just recieved mine off Amazon, feels legit, looks legit, the seller said it was legit, usually they will tell the truth. However I'm not positive. Does anyone know if the volume buttons on the real one is cut out? Because mine are cut out and I'm not sure that the red flap is a magnet, I guess one way to know is to visit a local apple store and check it out instore.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
The real ones do not have cut outs for the volume button, and the red 'flap' is just a tab.

Sounds like you got a knock off. Sorry. ><

Hmm.. But all of the above features are the same. It's pretty darn close to the authentic version then. The only thing is the volume buttons I guess, I think I'll go check it out at apple and see the difference in person.

natalie1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I just recieved mine off Amazon, feels legit, looks legit, the seller said it was legit, usually they will tell the truth. However I'm not positive. Does anyone know if the volume buttons on the real one is cut out? Because mine are cut out and I'm not sure that the red flap is a magnet, I guess one way to know is to visit a local apple store and check it out instore.

I asked about the volume cut-out from their Support and according to them, if it has a cut-out its fake.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I asked about the volume cut-out from their Support and according to them, if it has a cut-out its fake.

Damn that sucks, thanks for the clarification. Now I'm gonna give the seller a piece of my mind because he told me it was authentic. Usually they tell you the truth to avoid bad reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.