Boot G5 From USB?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, May 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Was trying to boot my G5 from a USB flash drive earlier today. Plugged in the flash drive, booted into Open Firmware, and typed this:
    Code:
    boot ud:,\\:tbxi
    Unfortunately I got a prohibited sign.

This method works perfectly for my Mac mini G4, iBook G4, and iMac G4. However I could never get it working with my G5. Is there a way to boot a G5 from USB?

Thanks,
    Henry

2. foxlet macrumors 6502

foxlet

Usually for booting flash media, it's a better idea to execute BootX directly, such as with
    boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX
    (assuming ud points to the proper USB device, and the OS X filesystem is on the third partition), but it seems more like you're trying to run a copy of OS X that isn't compatible with that specific platform (maybe it's too old?) or is crashing early on in the kernel loading process.

3. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

No, I'm running a 10.5.4 Leopard installer on a 2.0GHz DP G5, so it's not incompatible... I'll be sure to try that command soon, however.

4. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sorry that I haven't given you an update lately. :(

Anyway, I tried your command, @foxlet, but I get the same prohibited sign. Well, I settled for using TDM in the end anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Certain G5's lack the ud alias, and thus, making that command not work. I know the 11,2 G5s work fine booting from USB (through this command and the boot devices menu), but my 7,2 did not work properly. I ended up cloning the install to a 2.5" SATA HDD, and booting off of that. This was the first video I made on my YouTube channel, outlining the process, if anyone is interested.

6. foxlet macrumors 6502

foxlet

You can manually reassign the ud alias to a new device, hence the idea to check it. Anyways, in this situation it would be better to use verbose mode in order to get a more useful output.

7. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

How would I do this?

8. foxlet macrumors 6502

foxlet

In the OpenFirmware session, use dev / ls to show all the existing paths for the system, then devalias ud to set ud to the proper path, for example: devalias ud /ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@1

Alternatively, you can replace ud with the direct path.
    boot /ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@1:2,\\:tbxi

9. MrRPI macrumors newbie

@foxlet I'm so happy that your solution finally worked that when it worked I almost wet myself.

Thank you @foxlet