Resolved Boot options not working (PM G4)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pet84rik, Apr 19, 2017.

1. pet84rik macrumors member

pet84rik

Hi guys,

I am new here and I just bought my first Mac, an older PowerMac G4 AGP (400/1G/40G).

The only bigger issue is that I am not able to boot any other media than OSX one (burned DVD).

When I am trying to boot with Option key or CMD+OPT+F+O, screen stays blank (power saving on monitor).

What is working - booting OSX DVD from Startup disk or when the HDD is erased.

Not working - booting recognized OS9 CD from Startup disk, booting any other OS (NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc.).

Any ideass?

Thank you in advance.

2. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

"screen stays blank (power saving on monitor)"
    Do you mean that the monitor stays dark (like it doesn't show the Apple Icon) ?
    Does the G4 have the original Apple video card?

3. pet84rik thread starter macrumors member

pet84rik

No image, monitor woke up for second after I turn the computer on and then it goes to the power saving (like if you do not have any video output).

There are 2 outputs and 2xRage 128

EDIT: now that you mentioned it, I put the VGA cable to the upper VGA output (blue one) and when I start my Mac, I can see Apple logo with circle spinning and after that I can see the bootup MacOSX screen. Before this, I was only able to see a grey screen and then the startup screen.

So maybe now it is a time to test again :-D

4. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

5. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

PRAM resets never hurt lol. You can try USB booting as it works well on Sawtooths

6. pet84rik thread starter macrumors member

pet84rik

I have tried those key combinations as well (before I switched the VGA out), no luck. I will test that as soon as I can :)

Thanks.

7. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Hmm.. I doubt it's a video issue tho. Did you try booting via Open Firmware?

8. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

;)

9. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Since I see it as 'O+F' all the time, I didn't notice it ;p Maybe the OP can try Linux via USB. It's worth a shot.. or try a different DVD drive if they have one lying around. Resetting the PRAM when changing the OS you're booting never hurts tho. When I have my Rage 128 Pro in my Sawtooth, Open Firmware only displays when I reset PRAM. Doesn't display afterwards btw. You can also press the 'c' key to boot from a DVD/CD. Macs don't boot from the CD/DVD ROM automatically, I think or at least mine don't.

10. pet84rik thread starter macrumors member

pet84rik

It was all about that VGA output change. Thank you guys, now I am able to boot OpenBSD CD.