Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeramyPWNs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Central Valley
Okay well I have probably made things worse by troubleshooting myself, but hey it's live and learn. I didn't research this new T2 Chip nor the Secure Boot - so I am rightly screwed.

MacBook Pro 2018 /w Touch Bar
OS Mojave

I purchased this about a week ago and then decided to install BootCamp and buy the SCUM game since I had been watching it for a while. Turns out a Virus hit a PC on the Network which hit all the Windows 10 machines (including my own). Cartisan, artisan, some nonsense Houdini worm which kept cloning itself in multiple directories - that was a fun one.

Now the problem I am having is whatever it was - made my OS Partition disappear. I was able to see it was still there by getting a MacDrive/Paragon Trial. I'm only on 5 and 10 Day Trials so I wanted to ask before I purchase either one to make sure it will do what I need it to do.

I have:
2012 iMac 21.5O running Mojava.
USB-C Compatible External Drive Bay
OS Mojave Installer.app
OS Mojave Installer Assistance

The list of different things I have tried is long and I don't remember haha, but I ended up deleting the original Mojave partition because I thought I would be able to simply drag from by APFS External to my MacBook Internal - the problem is it's being formatted in HFS+.

So my thought is:

I have another iMac, I have external hard drives in the bay - so transferring files from an existing APFS/iMac/Mojave System isn't a problem. The problem is getting my MacBook to actually see and boot to this formatted drive from Windows 10.

I am writing this from the problematic MacBook Pro running the Windows 10 BC.

I'm waiting for the External to finish installing Mojave from the iMac then I am going to attempt to transfer from the External APFS to my Internal HFS+, and I read that upon boot it should read it but convert it to APFS.

It's as if my file system is messed up and preventing the MacBook from properly seeing it as a boot device?

1) I have learned that once I get this working, Secure Boot is going bye bye. I remember the EFI system and that was something new to learn.
2) I lose my original install of the Mac OS. I'm not upset, because for some reason it was taking 42GB AFTER upgrading from I believe High Sierra. 42GB off the bat, I am someone who loathes large foot prints.
3) Do I have the right idea? Somehow Clone my External to my Internal?
4) Internet Recovery is a fail. I've ready this is also due to the T2 Chip, but I let it run for 3-4 hours to be safe using CMD R, CMD Option R, CMD OPT Shift R, holding left Shift, CMD S - nothing.

I am worried about deleting the smaller 300MB File in case BootCamp is using it, if I can't boot into BootCamp then I am completely crippled and can't troubleshoot anything at all.

I do still have the receipt but my local Best Buys are out of Stock. I figure worst case scenario is I'll return it on Day 14 if there are none in and buy one at the Apple Store.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't fool with it any more. And don't "wait".

Either take it to an Apple Store genius bar (I'll bet they can straighten it out in short order), or return it to Best Buy and buy "a fresh one".

My opinion only (and it's worth what you paid for it), but I WOULD NOT run Bootcamp on a Mac. Too many problems. You see where it has "gotten you to".

If I needed to use a Windows app, I'd do it in a "virtual machine environment" created with Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or the free "Virtual Box". Or... try the "Crossover" app which lets you run -some- Windows software without installing Windows at all.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
My opinion only (and it's worth what you paid for it), but I WOULD NOT run Bootcamp on a Mac. Too many problems. You see where it has "gotten you to".

If I needed to use a Windows app, I'd do it in a "virtual machine environment" created with Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or the free "Virtual Box". Or... try the "Crossover" app which lets you run -some- Windows software without installing Windows at all.
Allow me, Fishrrman, not to agree entirely with you although most of what you say is absolutely true.
You are 100% right that Bootcamp is one of the worst pieces of **** Apple ever produced.
I have sweat for almost 10 days after my Windows got corrupted and did not boot... and that **** Bootcamp simply did not let me install again Windows. Go and ask it why! :confused:
(When I was entirely out of nerves... a Winclone image I had kept somewhere did the trick to reinstall it).
You are also right that Parallels or VMWare Fusion are much more easy ways to get Windows running in a Mac... and risk-free since they are just files one can delete if corrupted.
I suppose that if you have a CPU with many cores, a dedicated GPU and enough physical RAM, you will not notice much difference by using a Virtual Machine.
However if your CPU is not too mighty, your GPU needs to work a lot and you have just barely the RAM you need for MacOS, then (if that **** Bootcamp is kind enough to allow it :mad:) a true Windows installation will perform better.
Ed

JeramyPWNs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Central Valley
I honestly don’t even want to run BootCamp, but I wanted to actually be able to enjoy PC Games.

Will they run in a virtual box?

JeramyPWNs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Central Valley
Well, problem solved! It only took all day...

Somehow the Internet Recovery finally started working and got me into the utilities menu where I was able to restore from a time machine backup and then sort out my partitions.

Security boot was definitely disabled. I was never a fan of that change on the Windows systems either.

Whatever hit my Network apparently corrupted the sector. Luckily I've gotten into the habit of backing everything up online so there was no real loss.

I remember when SSDs first came out there was the concern about how many times it can be read/written:

So with the new 2018 Model /w Touch Bar 15" 2,399: Would I have any concern if I reinstalled my OS every 6 months? It's something I have always done just because I like to complete freshen up the system. A do get a lot of flak for it, but hey its my method because I just can't stand my system being bogged down.

I'm amazed though. I've been running my Late 2012 iMac and now it's pretty amazing to see Applications open instantly when I click on them. I've actually installed xcode so this thing is definitely going to be put to use.

Thanks for the response guys! I am watching my local inventory (sold out) and I still have a few days to exchange it. Another problem I am having is my Magic Mouse 2 likes to randomly disconnect and reconnect - I tested it on both units and it only disconnects from the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.