Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bose appears to be near to releasing a successor to its popular QuietComfort 35 active noise-canceling headphones. Based on leaked photos and details obtained by WinFuture, the company's upcoming QuietComfort 45 headphones look set to retain the QC35's signature overall design, with some welcome changes that bring it up-to-date.

Bose-QuietComfort-45-QC-45-1629200873-0-12.jpg

Launched in 2016, the QC35s (reviewed here) still come with a micro-USB port, and this is the most notable change in the QC45s, which sport USB-C. Meanwhile, the same physical buttons for controlling noise canceling, volume, and your voice assistant of choice are in evidence, and the headphones fold up in the same way.

Otherwise, the housing for the headband and cups make use of the same synthetic leather and glass-filled nylon to ensure the headphones remain "shockingly light" and durable, according to Bose. Expect similar pad comfort levels, too.

The QC45s feature an Aware Mode for allowing external sounds to be heard (think Transparency Mode in AirPods), the same TriPort acoustic architecture, and support for tuning audio to Bose's volume-adaptive Active EQ.

Battery life is said to be 24 hours of continuous playback – up from 20 hours in the QC35s – and the inclusion of USB-C brings with it a 15-minute Quick Charge capability that provides 2.5 hours of listening time. Multipoint pairing to two devices at the same time is supported, and the 3.5-millimeter jack is staying put for longer wired listening.

bose-qc45.jpg

As for the quality of the active noise-canceling, WinFuture doesn't have any information, but expect Bose to go all out for the latest version of its flagship model, given competing headphones like Sony's WH-1000MX4 offer equal if not better noise cancelation than the QC35s.

The QuietComfort 45 headphones are expected to be officially announced soon with a retail price of $329.

Article Link: Bose QuietComfort 45 Headphones Leaked Ahead of Impending Launch

Reactions: elementalwingma

locrumo

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2020
Ear cushions problem fixed?? Calculating the new ear cushions price every year. Go with sony.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ugh, I have a pair of QC35 II that have been a mild disappointment. Using them with multiple devices is a terrible experience, I have to constantly unpair/pair when I switch from the iPad to the Mac. And now the ear pads are disintegrating after just two years. I am almost tempted to get the AirPods Max, just because of the user experience, if only they weren't so crazily overpriced.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Which model exactly, please? I'm on Bose 25 and thinking to switch over

It’s not equal or if better.

Sony’s NC is hands down way better than this now 5 year old product. No need to soften your opinion on this. No one disagrees

kaz911

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Haha - Bose finally figured out not everyone want the 700's "Touch Interface"

I'm still on the Bose QC35 I's for that reason. No reason for any Apple user to have the QC35 II either. But now I tend to use my Apple AirPod Max more - but they are not too comfortable to use long time if you wear glasses. The Bose are much more comfortable wearing glasses.

And advise for QC45 buyers - do NOT buy into their Special Colour editions. You might never be able to get the "Ear Pad" replacements in the same colour again. And you will need Ear Pad replacements with all Bose headphones. Wife have the Midnight Blue version and it took 10 months to find a replacement set.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I wonder how well these will pair with AppleTV 4K for watching Netflix, YouTube, HBOMax etc
Heard the Sony's had lag. Thought about some AirPod Max since they do Dolby atmos and if they dropped to $350 for Black Friday but maybe the Bose would work

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
I really hope they've improved the microphone in these, the solution in the QC35 is terrible.

Reactions: canhaz

JeffLass

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2007
I have the 35s and although they were expensive, overall they have been worth it. The only downer is that it's a little bit tricky to replace the ear pads because they wear out, and I've had to do it several times now.
I too have replaced the ear cushions and it's rather annoying having to do so. One would think that SONY would have the smarts to come up with a cushioning material that did not easily break down from salty perspiration when wearing them during exercise. WTF!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I love my QC35s but they are in a dire need of a refresh. Quality product but seriously dated look.
I wasn't crazy about the 700 looks but at least it is more modern.
Sony needs to do the same with the xm4 successor.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
I really hope they've improved the microphone in these, the solution in the QC35 is terrible.
Amen brother. I have the 700 because of their excellent mic, but comfort wise they can't hold a candle to the QC35s.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I love my QC35s but they are in a dire need of a refresh. Quality product but seriously dated look.
I wasn't crazy about the 700 looks but at least it is more modern.
Sony needs to do the same with the xm4 successor.
I have the first gen QC35. I can't say that I have really thought that these look outdated. I mean I wear them on my head and only time I really see them briefly is when putting them on/taking off. But I guess they could maybe make the headband slimmer or make it in a mesh material á la AirPods Max. But then again I'm no designer so what do I know. ? Do you have any suggestions how to make them more modern?

error

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
I am glad Bose did not introduce touch controls on the QC45. I’ve tried the Bose 700 and the Sony’s – not made for me. I want physical buttons.

The QC35/45 design isn’t hip or trendy… but they’re sooo confortable and easy to use. Probably going to update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.