Boston area search for iPad 2 :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DMBsaint, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DMBsaint macrumors newbie

Has anyone in the Boston/Newton/Natick area had better luck getting an iPad2 after launch day? If so, what worked? Any tips/info? I devoted most of my morning to the hunt, this is what I did:

Stopped into Target in Natick- they said they had a few on Friday but none since
    None @ Walmart in Natick. I called again after 3pm and still nothing.
    Went to the Apple Store in the Natick Collection to wait before 10am for the store to open (which I realize now was dumb).... about 5 people were in line. An Apple employee was nice enough to come and tell us they didn't have any so we didn't wait until 10.
    Best Buy in Natick had zero... they talked about the $100 deposit deal.
    I called every Apple store in the area (Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Legacy Place, NH stores) with no luck.
    I called every Best Buy in the area with the same result. I finally went to my Best Buy in Watertown and did the $100 deposit and am hoping for the best.

I ordered my 32GB black wi-fi iPad2 online yesterday morning to be safe, but it has a delivery date of April 14th! Ridiculous! :mad:

It's amazing how hard it is to get something I want sooooo badly :)

So.... anyone hear anything helpful? Planning on going out again in the morning to Apple stores, in case of a shipment today?

Thanks for all your help! Good luck to everyone :)

2. thegreek138 macrumors newbie

Authorized Apple Dealer @ Boston College; they have only wifi models, black or white, all sizes, open till 6 daily: No ATT or Verizon models when I asked earlier today at 3pm

The store itself is pretty small, its within a large building on campus. Its on the bottom floor of a large building called McElroy Commons. The address is 140 Commonwealth Avenue Chestnut Hill, MA 02467. If you have trouble finding it, just ask for the bookstore. Its literally directly across from the bookstore in a little special room of its own.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

No, the most I could find was a 64GB Verizon on Friday evening @ Natick BestBuy. :( I'm still trying to find one too. Reserved one @ Best Buy Mobile in Natick Mall.

4. thegreek138 macrumors newbie

I would highly suggest giving the BC Authorized Apple Store a drive in the morning if you are close by. When I bought mine earlier today they had a great deal of Wifi models available for the simple fact that people didn't even know they were selling them!!!!

5. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Has anyone heard whether or not the boylston apple store will be opening at 9am like some of the others, or do you think that BC certified store will still have stock tomorrow?

6. DMBsaint, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe!

Thanks! I actually saw your info on another thread and tried calling them, but got an answering machine, and didn't feel like leaving a nerdy "Hi I'm Amy do you have any iPad2s? If so call me back thanks!" :)

Any idea what time they open? I'm in Newton so it's not far to head over in the AM...

Thanks for the idea!

** Found the web-page, they open at 9am in case anyone else was wondering**

7. thegreek138 macrumors newbie

Hey, The BC store will most definitely have stock of the Wifi's in the morning. They had plenty when I was there @3pm and the store shuts @6pm. The shop is really small, and there are usually only 2 employees working there.Anyways I also asked about 3g versions. She said that they had one in back but were not sure when they were going to process it through the system for sale. I was really shocked when they told me that they had available wifi's. I had been trying to get one all weekend and here was a multitude of them only two streets away from my apartment!!!!!

8. influxx, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

influxx macrumors newbie

I called them this afternoon around 3pm, they said they wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't affiliated with boston college, can anyone confirm or deny this?

also, they said out of the wifi models, they had 32 and 64 gbs only

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah that makes sense, its a college bookstore that caters to their students, not the public as a general rule.

10. DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Public SHOULD be able to buy iPad 2s

That's interesting... it's an "authorized apple reseller" in a college bookstore, yes.... but they also sell BC tshirts and hats and pet collars. Their online store lists various Apple products including AppleTV, iPod nano, and iPod touch. Only on the BC configured MacBooks does it say "By adding this MacBook® bundle to the cart, you agree this purchase is being made by or for a current Boston College student, faculty, or staff member."

Not selling standard, out of box iPad 2s to the general public doesn't make sense to me...

11. ericts8, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

ericts8 macrumors newbie

Anyone have a phone number for the BC reseller to save me a trip up there?

Update: just talked with them. Confirmed they have 16 and 64gb wifi. Not sure if they're only going to sell to BC students though

12. DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Pass...

Don't waste your time :( I went this morning, and they had 16GB & 64GB wifi in black and white, and I picked the black 64GB and they brought it out and everything!..... and then asked for my BC ID :mad:

The girl working was really nice, and called her manager, because we both agreed it wasn't a special deal/pricing or BC specific configuration, but they will only sell it to BC students... I WAS SO CLOSE!

13. Munitalp macrumors 65816

If they don't sell to non-BC students then just go grab a student and give him $20 + the cost and have him buy it for you... shouldn't be hard to find someone to do this.

14. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Find a student to buy it for you and give them $20 for doing the deal?

15. dudeman74 macrumors newbie

i got an ipad 2 today :). i went to my campus bookstore which is an apple authorized reseller, i believe campus stores only sell to students. today they had some ipad 2's available behind the counter. I was given a form to fill out and had to show them my student ID in order to purchase.

16. DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh

I am not that smart/resourceful to have thought of that, or bold/trusting to talk to a random college kid and hand over $700.... oh well... :(

17. cbanksy9 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat here, i live in boston and I have been spending every day since friday searching new england for a 16 gig wifi model either color idc @ this point. NONE ZERO ZILCH its terrible, I also went to the BC bookstore yesterday, rushed over there, only to have the nice girl bring me my ipad then take it away after the non bc student thing came up. Would of payed someone to get it but had only my card.

If ANYONE sees/hears of any ipad avaliabilty around Boston or MA direct message me on twitter @banksonbeantown

I will do the same with this thread.

18. puljiun macrumors newbie

19. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Other than the fact that there are no iPad 2's in the Boston area, Boston is awesome:p

I was on the hunt from Friday until this morning, until I finally convinced myself that I don't want one anymore since I have an iPhone 4 and an iMac. In fact, I spent 20 minutes with one on display in Braintree last night and was unimpressed by the pixely screen in comparison to my iPhone 4 (yes, I know...the iPhone 4's screen will beat any other one on the market due to it's insanely high dpi).

Basically, if you have the iPhone 4 and a relatively new Mac, fussing about this iPad 2 is really not worth it. Enjoy what you have and wait for iPad 3 which should be crazy with a resolution bump and better specs.

At the end of the day...it really is just a huge iPod Touch

20. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

I found one 16gb wifi black at 9:30 pm on Friday night at Target in Kingston. I'm pretty sure I bought the last one on the south shore :)

21. random person macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is the Boylston Street Apple Store. It is the largest store in north America and they are getting shipments every single day. I got mine there ojn launch day and had to return it due to a faulty headphone port but they were even able to give me a replacement. Don't even think about an AT&T version though -- all the Euros are flying in for those. No kidding, on launch day I was surrounded by people who had flown in from Europe for the launch!

22. ericts8 macrumors newbie

Haven't been able to get any definitive word from the people at the Boylston store. Any idea if they're getting shipments tomorrow?

23. random person macrumors 6502a

I live just two blocks away and go there all the time. From what I've seen they get shipments very frequently but they don't know what is coming until it gets there. I think your best bet is just to show up there early and often!

24. DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Chestnut Hill

I think my last ditch effort for a while will be to go to the Chestnut Hill Apple store tomorrow as early as I can. It's the closest to me, and with having to get kids on the bus around 8:10am, I have a feeling there will already be a huge line *sigh*

25. DMBsaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chestnut Hill had verizon models only this morning. Drove to Dedham, they had already handed out tickets to people who had got there at 6:45am! (and so people didn't have to wait in the rain) They are held until 11am and can be sold if not claimed.