Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Just wondering if people ever experienced this.

I purchased a the Lord of the Rings game today for a friends birthday. I gave it to him (brand new wrapped. Just bought an hour before at Walmart). He opens up the case and inside was "Tales from the Darkside."

Again this game was BRAND NEW STILL WRAPPED.

I heard stories about how people bought ipads and bricks were inside but this is new. Do you guys think Walmart would try to accuse me? Im going back tomorrow. I just hope I didn't trash the receipt. Didn't expect something like this to happen.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Explain the situation. Considering you're just going to return it for another copy, I don't think they'll hold anything against you, especially with the receipt.

For all they know, it could have been an employee who did it, or someone didn't bother checking before they went to shrink-wrap it again after the last person returned it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's not hard to re-shrinkwrap something so it very well may have been an employee or just some thief.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Employees are getting lazy when inspecting returns. I had bought an open box Mac Mini at Micro Center. I decided I wanted the I7 and saw they had an open box i7. When doing the exchange, the guy simply opened the original Mini just to make sure it was really a Mini and closed the box and processed the exchange. I could have gutted the Mini and he would not have known.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All you can do is try to explain the situation. I'd not try to hide the fact that the dvd inside it was not what it should be. That makes you look guilty. Be honest and upfront.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I purchased a the Lord of the Rings game today for a friends birthday. I gave it to him (brand new wrapped. Just bought an hour before at Walmart). He opens up the case and inside was "Tales from the Darkside."

That’s amazing. Did you jump up and yell SURPRISE! :D

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
That’s amazing. Did you jump up and yell SURPRISE! :D

I left the gift at his house as he was at work. two hours later he was blowing my phone up. I thought it was to call to say thank you but then he asked me if i was "trolling him."

But yes, I plan on going to Walmart today and letting them know that a DVD was inside. Im just hoping they don't accuse me of trying to get two copies of the game. I was going to go this morning so the time gap would def be shorter to make them less likely to ask "why did you wait" but it looks like I might have to wait till after work.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Just got back.

They denied me. They subtlety accused me by saying "sorry. This never happens"

I talked to the floor manager. Said call 1800 Walmart. Called 1800 Walmart. Opened a complaint. Said the store general manager will contact me in the next day or so. Can't believe there's actually a chance I'll lose my money.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Just got back.

I talked to the floor manager. Said call 1800 Walmart. Called 1800 Walmart. Opened a complaint. Said the store general manager will contact me in the next day or so. Can't believe there's actually a chance I'll lose my money.

Enlighten me- from their perspective- Does it look like you opened the thing, and switched it out for something cheaper, and am trying to return it, so you can keep the expensive thing at the cost of returning something you want?

If that is the case, then that is unfortunate for you, because I think that crooks do that all the time. This is how they try and prevent that. :/

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Just got back.

How did you pay for it? If you paid with a credit card, you can file a chargeback.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Paid with a gift card in this situation. Logged a complaint. Waiting now.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I know many stores have a machine that can re shrink wrap things.

I have shrink wrap equipment up in our attic. It’s basically a roll of clear shrink wrap that’s like two-ply cellophane, a heat bar and a dispenser roller that seals the edges and cuts the excess (think an iron combined with a paper cutter) and a heat gun (like a blow dryer that just gets much hotter).

Bought it from a computer and software store that went out of business years and years ago :)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I have shrink wrap equipment up in our attic. It’s basically a roll of clear shrink wrap that’s like two-ply cellophane, a heat bar and a dispenser roller that seals the edges and cuts the excess (think an iron combined with a paper cutter) and a heat gun (like a blow dryer that just gets much hotter).

Bought it from a computer and software store that went out of business years and years ago :)

Lol I was going to say that even the average joe can get his hands on a shrink wrap machine.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah thats what Im starting to lean towards. Im still going to do whatever is possible to try to get this situation fixed. Hate how I can get hosed like this when it wasn't even me who swapped the discs.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah thats what Im starting to lean towards. Im still going to do whatever is possible to try to get this situation fixed. Hate how I can get hosed like this when it wasn't even me who swapped the discs.

Don't give up right away, Wal-Mart shouldn't get away with this. You could try your luck at other Wal-Mart stores in the area, or start contacting them on Facebook and Twitter, sometimes you can have better luck getting help from companies if you do it on social media where everyone else can see.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Don't give up right away, Wal-Mart shouldn't get away with this. You could try your luck at other Wal-Mart stores in the area, or start contacting them on Facebook and Twitter, sometimes you can have better luck getting help from companies if you do it on social media where everyone else can see.

Only reason why I didn't want to go to another Walmart store was because I wanted to keep it consistent. I didn't want to be accused of trying to dupe them by going to a different store. I was scammed by the Columbia MD (Dobbin Rd) store and I will get my money back (same game preferably though) from that store.

If I don't hear back from them next week. I will start posting on social media (thanks for the tip btw! Totally slipped my mind)

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Customer service at Walmart varies from store to store, since you paid with a gift card the manager knows "he" can screw your return effort than his store eating a loss and cover for the possibility of insider/well known "return abuse customer". Gift cards don't have purchase protection, Consumerist/Consumer Reports always warned the pitfalls of using them.

When a friend worked as a manager at Best Buy they saw "return abuse" with attempted "re-package" often, a teaching trick my friend showed was learn the difference of factory plastic vs "home/consumer" plastic wrap. Plastic wrap on most games/music is a stiff/brittle wrap with some kind of edge label that needs to be removed to open the box vs indie music labels(ex: Merge, Wichita, etc).

Never had it happen on a game, my mum bought a flatbed scanner at Wallymart and someone swapped it with a crusty keyboard. Happened in 2000 or so they flagged the serial number and grabbed another off the shelf to make sure the scanner+model number matched up. Almost a year later it turned out someone in the warehouse(not the store itself) was using the pallet wrap machine to re-wrap certain $100+ items :eek:
...since that incident, I always inspect/open stuff before leaving the store.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Customer service at Walmart varies from store to store, since you paid with a gift card the manager knows "he" can screw your return effort than his store eating a loss and cover for the possibility of insider/well known "return abuse customer". Gift cards don't have purchase protection, Consumerist/Consumer Reports always warned the pitfalls of using them.

When a friend worked as a manager at Best Buy they saw "return abuse" with attempted "re-package" often, a teaching trick my friend showed was learn the difference of factory plastic vs "home/consumer" plastic wrap. Plastic wrap on most games/music is a stiff/brittle wrap with some kind of edge label that needs to be removed to open the box vs indie music labels(ex: Merge, Wichita, etc).

Never had it happen on a game, my mum bought a flatbed scanner at Wallymart and someone swapped it with a crusty keyboard. Happened in 2000 or so they flagged the serial number and grabbed another off the shelf to make sure the scanner+model number matched up. Almost a year later it turned out someone in the warehouse(not the store itself) was using the pallet wrap machine to re-wrap certain $100+ items :eek:
...since that incident, I always inspect/open stuff before leaving the store.

Yeah I guess I just thought that the stories come up so rarely regarding situations like this that the chances of happening it to me would be sparse.

Not only that, it sucks that I now need to start opening things I buy for peoples birthday just so I can make sure some *** didn't swap out the item inside.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Yeah I guess I just thought that the stories come up so rarely regarding situations like this that the chances of happening it to me would be sparse.

Not only that, it sucks that I now need to start opening things I buy for peoples birthday just so I can make sure some *** didn't swap out the item inside.

Anything new from Walmart yet? Could go through the BBB as another tip.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
people are really good at shrink wrapping back to like new form and returning the games. Usually the people at returns are too lazy to open the game and just put it back on the shelf..got burned once in the 90's on a wu tang cd this way. inside was a aol free trial cd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.