Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's not much of an inventory error. They do have budgets, but those are for "shrink" or stolen items.

Keeping it and not notifying the Best Buy to some extent would not eliminate the guilty conscious to me. You know they made a mistake, so its your noble duty to let them know about what happened. That is assuming you feel bad to some extent, because if you don't then there is no problem.

They budget for much more than just shrink/stolen items. They would budget for things like employee error as well.

Keep it and don't feel guilty.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
They budget for much more than just shrink/stolen items. They would budget for things like employee error as well.

Keep it and don't feel guilty.

Just curious, do you know this as fact, or are you just making it up as you go along?

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Best Buy is horrible. Seriously horrible. I have friends who work there and I like them, but otherwise they are a bad joke. I don't believe in karma, but if there is karma it's simply the universe's way of retaliating for their outrageous rip-offs and rude, rude employees (ESPECIALLY management).

I wouldn't feel remotely bad about keeping the system. I don't know if the law is on your side or not. If it was a mail transaction, I'm 98% sure the law is on your side. But since it took place in person, I just don't know.

My worry might be warranty issues, ya know? I'd call Apple and ask them what to do to be honest, just out of fear for my warranty. That's your choice though... just be aware of the risks.

THX, yes, stores budget employee error in their pricing. And best buy has *TONS* of room for that. Of course, they only hire stupid people to work there (no offense to my friends who have worked there), you know - the kind they feel they can brainwash into ripping people off all day every day without giving them a commission to do so; and have them not leave work feeling bad about what they're doing because they don't even know their store is so outrageously overpriced it's unethical.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I've had great experiences at Best Buy, but then again I worked for HQ. :D

Just purchase AppleCare and register it, and you have no problem.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious, do you know this as fact, or are you just making it up as you go along?

I'm not making it up. Why would I? Oh yeah, it's the internets.

But yes, accounting for items such as the ones I've listed is common practice for large merchandising companies. Inventory variances happen no matter how strong your security, inventory system, and employee training are. Not everything can be controlled, especially in such a huge corporation. It is just a fact of doing business, and these potential discrepancies are taken into consideration when the budgets are written.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.