Bought a refurb macbook pro- few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDaddy11, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MacDaddy11 macrumors member

Hey this is my first post in this forum

I have decided to buy a refurb macbook pro 2010-
    (2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram, nvidia 320m, 250 gb serial ata)

I just have a couple of questions
    - if you bought a refurb, how did you like it? any problems (cosmetic especially)
    - The new macbook 2010s have a serial ata, the old ones say they have an hdd, what is the difference?
    - Also, i am very ocd about my electronics, like VERY ocd. The smallest cosmetic problems bother me.
    Are the hinges loose? and does anyone with a mbp face any big cosmetic problems? i got the pro over the normal white macbook as i know the plastic scratches uncontrollably

IM getting my macbook between july 22-29
    i hope ill enjoy it...and this forum:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Serial-ATA or S-ATA is the name of an interface for high capacity storage devices and optical drives. HDD is short for Hard Disk Drive and is a mass storage device. Modern HDDs use S-ATA as interface to communicate with the computer. Before S-ATA there was P-ATA (IDE) used for communicating.

So while S-ATA and HDD are not the same, they are intertwined.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Enjoy. It's one speedy computer. I got mine new however, but you shouldn't see any differences from a new one - at all.
    A serial ATA (or SATA) is a type of interface used to connect a device such as a hard drive. So there is no difference. I think the Macbook Pro's have been using SATA hard drives forever now, while the Macbook Air uses a PATA hard drive. Don't worry about that.

The cosmetics of the computer varies on each laptop. At least on mine, it's all good, and the screen isn't loose.

BTW, you'll love the backlight keyboard! :D

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The Serial ATA (SATA) is just the interface for the hard drive (HD or HDD), so there is no difference. I have had no problems with my computer, although it is still possible to scratch the aluminum. Also, the hinge is not loose, and it is not so tight you have to hold the computer down to open it like some HP notebooks.

5. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Bought a refurbed MacBook a few years ago. It was perfect. Ata is the interface used to connect the hard drive (HDD) to the logic board.

The hinges are tight, but will loosen a little with a couple of years frequent use, nothing major though.

You might want to invest in a decorative skin to keep scratches to a minimum over time. They self stick and easily peel off again if you want to change them. They leave no residue either. Check out Gelaskins.com.

6. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick reply
    on the side note i posted this thread also in the macbook pro desktop forum by accident
    and have no clue how to delete it :S

did you say your hinge loosened over time

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Refurbs macs are great, they usually came in mint condition

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Nope, hinge still works like the day I got it. If you use a case, it will feel a bit looser with the case on, but is back to normal if you take it off.

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I bought a 17 inch MBP from craigslist!

Yeah I've got guts!

Anyway, mine has been working perfectly so far. Absolutely no cosmetic damage when I first bought it. the hinge was slightly misaligned, I took it in for repair when it was 14 months old, and the apple guys still fixed it for free!

Refurb is basically new, but cheaper. Don't worry over it. SATA is an interface for connecting to your HDD. If you MBP is from 2010, its using SATA for sure. The older interface, PATA is almost completely obsolete now.

The hinge looseness can be fixed very easily by apple. They will do it for free.

10. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys
    i was quite worried as i dont enoy most of my products cause of my damn ocd lol
    so thanks
    hope all goes well

also
    gehrbox, a skin does seem to be a good idea
    but most cover the apple logo which i wouldnt like

11. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

last year I ordered a 2.8 17" MBP from the refurb store and was suprised by a 3.06ghz 7200 HD instead.Perfect cosmetic condition just without the box candy.
    Would have done it again this year but used a student discount instead

12. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys but i posted this in the macbook pro laptop forum
    i accidentaly posted it here as i am getting the macbook pro laptop not desktop
    how can i delete it :S

13. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

Really? they fix the hinges for free
    i thought to fix the hinges you would need to open the whole laptop
    and it would be a long process

14. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I assume from your specs your buying a 13.

I'd personally have no problem getting a refurb'd unit but you can get it brand new cheaper at MicroCenter for $999.

I believe those MB Pro's are 1049 from Apple refurbed, or 999 brand new in a box from MC.

Here is a link http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334909

Says they are out of stock because its in store only. The store in Madison Heights MI has 93 in stock when I bought mine a few days ago.

15. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

actually it was 1099..and with tax it came up to 1248
    but i live in canada that is why
    yeah lol there is no way i could have went to there store
    and yes it is 13 inch

16. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got mine refurbed about a year ago - showed up in flawless condition and has worked like a champ every since. When I do decide to upgrade, I'll do it through the refurb store again

17. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

The 2010 MBP I got from the refurbished store is amazing. I'd never know it was a refurbished machine. I almost didnt do it since I got burnt on a bad HP laptop last year from ubid.com but I chaulked it up to just being a poor model and not the fact it was refurbished.

18. MacDaddy11 thread starter macrumors member

Thats great! Sounds like everyone with a refurb has had a great experience

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Apple refurbs, purchased from Apples refurb site are always in tip top shape and just awesome products, the only company I buy refurbed stuff from just because I've never had a refurb unit break down from Apple ever, and thats about 2 Macbooks and 2 iPod Classics and 1 iPod Touch

20. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Mac refurbs are great, sometimes better than new as you can be surprised with more ram or a better HDD. And most important they came with the same 1-year warranty and you can buy applecare for them...

21. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I would definitely buy refurb if not for the BTS or Microcenter deals-

22. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I was going to wait for a refurb 15" i5, but got this great deal from MacMall, so I bought a brand new...

23. mms13 macrumors 6502

I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 13' about 2 weeks ago and it arrived in brand new mint condition. There is no way to distinguish between a refurb and a new one. I couldn't be happier with my purchase (saved me $300!)

24. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

if you bought a refurb, how did you like it?

My iMac is a refurb and it looked brand new!!!

25. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Refurbed models from Apple are usually better than "new". The reason is that new models go through the normal manufacturing and quality control process. Not every single unit receives every single quality test to the fullest extent. It's just not feasible and cost-effective due to the volume or parts manufactured. Refurbed models have to pass the most rigorous quality inspections available. I just purchased my second refurbed MBP (the first is going with my son to college) and I have also purchased a refurbed Canon 50D DSLR for the same reasons above.