Bought an Apple watch... Now what?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by audirs5, Sep 20, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Besides the generic, text,calls and emails.

Anything I should do or look into with my watch. I understand it's main function is just to make your day easier. Notice it only when you need it. But, what do you use it mostly for?

Loving the texts and stuff. But as expected, most of my messages, or well 90% can't be answered with OK or a thumbs up. They require sentences. So the feature is pretty bland for me.. Still, useful at times when I want to ignore the ex. First time using it tonight at the airport. Not sure how to get my boarding pass on there (United airlines)..

-E

2. manincognito macrumors member

I think for me the best thing is that I don't pointlessly use my phone as much now, I get a tap & check to see whether it's important enough to grab my full attention & if not I just dismiss it & carry on with my day. Previously I'd grab my phone, ponder whether to respond to a nothing message then look at something pointless online or play around with something & waste 10min. Really enjoying Apple Pay, location notifications & maps when out & about. For me the key is using things less...

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

It tells time. That's basically it. If that is enough for you, then it also has some other cool perks. If that isn't enough to justify wearing a watch for, return it.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

From what you are describing I don't think the watch is for you. You should return it.

5. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Messages allow you to dictate answers and have then sent as audio OR text. Go to iBooks and download the 147 page manual. Try reading it.

6. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Use it for a couple days, then stop wearing it. On day 13 get your money back.That is what the naysayers will post.

Use the fitness rings and complete them all daily. No excuses, no days off. I have been doing that since I got mine in late July and am down 8 lbs. My goal is up to 800 active calories a day. Since I was short on time today, I rode my bike 25 miles cuz I gotta close those dang rings.

7. playaproved macrumors 6502

I'll echo what many have already posted.

I find myself with my phone in my hand less which is a great thing, as its hard to drop it when its in your pocket.

I'm not constantly checking my phone for missed notifications, because anything I actually care about is sent right to my wrist. This also results in less distractions for others, as my watch and phone have been on silent since I started wearing it.

One major benefit for me is I use Apple Pay way more often as its easier to double click the side button and tap than it is to pull out my phone and use Touch ID.

The fitness rings motivate me to exercise and the workout app is a great tool for training for distance races.

I also love being able to leave my phone on the charger and roam around my office and home without worrying about missing something important.

Siri on my wrist is awesome too, as I use her to set reminders, timers, alarms, play music, make calls and send texts all day long.

Those are some of my most important benefits, I'm sure there's more that I have forgotten.

8. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ. This was the most downer answer I haver ever read in my life. Get off the site man

9. BigGuy219 macrumors regular

It's 'funny' that by turning exercise into a 'game' they've gotten so many people to do it. Amazing no one else thought of it. That'll be the legacy of the Apple Watch.

10. BigGuy219 macrumors regular

I have yet to stumble upon a place that accepts Apple Pay. I would love to be able to use this feature.

11. noobinator macrumors 601

Truth hurts?

12. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

OP, gee I didn't take your post any other way than hey I know it can do this is there something else I'm missing that I should be checking out. Rough crowd tonight.

So out of curiosity which watch and band did you go with? Apart from the texts, calendar popups, I like to use it all the time to set alarms for things like time to leave, make that phone call, cooking. DH uses the alarm for his wake up. We've both used it for outdoor walk tracking, and I do like the activity rings. I just turned on getting emails in the watch app. I will have Siri do a number of things for me when my hands aren't free like place phone calls, or set alarms, or calendar something. I love being able to make and receive phone calls on it. And for me most of the time the reception is great so I don't feel the need to hand off the call to my iPhone. I do check in on my heart rate on occasion.

I haven't used it for music yet. And don't have a bank supporting Apple Pay yet, which I am really looking forward to using. I just updated my phone to iOS9 and am waiting for Watch OS2 and then will search out a few native apps to try out. Don't travel right now so can't advise on the boarding passes but am sure if no one chimes in there's a thread on here with their experiences. Remember seeing it discussed. Do check out the watch faces and set some complications that you think would be useful to you. More coming when Watch OS2 is finally released. Set glances you think will help you and go through notification settings too. Apart from telling time, that's probably as helpful as I can be. I've had mine shortly after release and really do enjoy wearing it every day as part of my routine.

Oh I will suggest getting into a routine of when you charge. I set mine on the charger when I'm getting ready for bed and before I brush my teeth so I know it's always going to be ready in the morning.

13. ilian92 macrumors regular

May I ask who the watch is for then? How does one earn the right to own an Apple Watch?

14. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

You have to use every last app and function... at the same time... whilst juggling your iPad and iPhone running every available app from the App store

15. aberrero macrumors 6502a

It's not about whether you're enough of a power user to have one, it's about whether your expectations are low enough. So many people are disappointed by the watch because they think it will change their lives or whatever. It's just a watch. I think it's a good watch for $700. Better than the competition at that level. But if you wouldn't ordinarily pay that much for a watch or wear that kind of watch, I don't think the Apple Watch is going to seem worthwhile.

This is a bit tangential to the OPs question though. As far as apps, I use mine to check up on my investments and for Soundhound/Shazam. The watch faces and complications also really useful if you travel and need multiple time zones, or quick access to the weather. Most of the apps are godawful though. There are a handful that are useful, like the investment ones, but they are slow and don't always work, so they are barely better than nothing.

Also, love the 'Similar Thread' suggestions below.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'll just answer your questions as everyone seems to be doing the not for you routine which is weird.

Ok adding your boarding passes is easy. Just add it to your iPhone and it'll sync to your watch.

Texts. If a generic answer won't do you have two options. Edit the generic answers or add some of your own so that you can answer in the future or just dictate the message. It's weird at first but then it becomes very natural.

The watches main function is to give you glances to save you pulling your phone out. I struggled to justify the cost but after a few days everything started clicking into place and I wouldn't go back. It's a great complimentary device.

17. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

I think this pretty much sums it up - you don't NEED the device so sometimes justifying it can be difficult, after all it is a luxury item. I'm currently wearing a wristwatch that cost me a subtantual sum and all it does is tell the time, not even the date as its the no-date model, but sometimes it doesnt have to make sense for you to feel a certian way about a product.

Not sure why people are looking at OPs requirements and saying 'it's not for you'.

Just my $0.02.

18. ilian92 macrumors regular

I don't disagree, some people do expect too much out of it when in the end it's simply a watch that does that little bit more. What I don't understand is why a question like "what else could I do with my watch" merits a "it's not for you, return it" answer. :)

Anyway, to stay somewhat on topic, besides time telling I use mine when I run, I use it for Passbook, to quickly check the weather, to set quick timers when cooking for example, to look at my bank account, things like that.

19. Granny_Smith macrumors member

Granny_Smith

Return it.

20. Armen, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

When you finally return the watch and get your money back remember what I said.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The Apple watch displays the time, date and other information on its watch face. It forwards notifications from your iPhone to your wrist. It has a heart rate monitor and some activity tracking software also.

There are no hidden or mysterious features to this device. If you see value in the features listed above than great :) . If not then maybe a smart watch (not the Apple watch specifically) is not for you.

It seems like some people are unsure about their purchase and come here for validation. You as the consumer should know if the product has any value to you and not have to ask strangers. you know what I mean?

22. ilian92 macrumors regular

And precisely because of that you can't really tell people "it's not for you" or "you don't value this feature". I just felt it was a bit uncalled for (not necessarily by you, but generally on this forum). There's no need to go around telling people what to do, even if someone has unrealistic (for you) expectations and ends up being disappointed by a device you may love.

The OP didn't even complain about anything, just asked a simple question "what more can be done with my new device". :)

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I suppose you're right but the OP didn't show too much enthusiasm from the start even based on his Thread title "I bought an Apple watch, now what?" and calling the messaging feature "bland".

My gut still says this is a return in the making.

24. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

That is absolutely true. But the OP said nothing to indicate that he was one of those people. I read his post as just a simple request for other things to try out. He never complained about anything. Your assumption that he is and suggestion that he just give up and return the watch comes across as extremely defensive.

Exactly, more like a request for tips and tricks or a few pointers. Others have interpreted as a "That's it?" type statement, which doesn't seem to have been the intention of the OP.

OP, check out the following thread where some people are starting to share some unique uses they have found for the watch:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/you-guys-were-right….1915222/

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Both of you may be right but my gut still says OP bought the watch first and now is trying to find uses for it.