Boycott the new 3g iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kris B.., Jun 10, 2008.

1. Kris B.. macrumors member

Apple's new 3g iphone doesn't have all the new features we were expecting, sure, its "twice as fast, half the price."But many essential features that most all phones have nowadays are still missing. First off where's the MMS? I quote Kevin Peirera from G4's Attack of The Show: " Where's the Multimedia Messaging? Seriously at what point do you have to shake Steve Jobs and say. No! I don't wanna go to viewmymessage.com and put in the login, and put in the password to see a crappy thumbnail." I completely agree with this guy, its quite tedious after a couple times of viewing pictures. Also, no copy paste? any windows mobile phone has that feature [Im guessing]. All in all, the price drop is nice and so is the GPS and 3G, but some core functions are missing that you could find in any other smart phone. So, I know this is a pretty absurd thing to propose, and I know it's most likely not gonna happen; but lets boycott the iPhone until we get what we want? Haha

P.S. forgive me if something similar has already been posted in another thread; new to this site

Talk it up!

-Kris B.

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I have had to post this to many times, im just gonna post the link.

Here.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wait, what?!

You registered on a forum to start a thread that basically boils down to "if a product doesn't do what you expect it to do, you shouldn't buy it". Really?! :rolleyes:

Um, respectfully... DUH?!

4. Rigsby macrumors regular

Hey, this is a great idea.

I'd encourage everyone who thinks the iPhone isn't what it should be to boycott it, perhaps buy a Nokia - and then, and here's the kicker, why not really show Apple by posting endlessly on some Nokia forum about how the UI isn't really that good. Or perhaps something about the integration with your music collection. Or maybe that the last upgrade left you really deflated because there wasn't a flux capacitor.

5. agirton macrumors regular

Yes, please boycott the new 3g iPhone. I want shorter lines when I get mine!!!

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Exactly :D

7. Kris B.. thread starter macrumors member

8. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Well, I'm not buying one, so I guess that counts as a boycott. Notupgradimg the firmware of my current iPhone, I won't be purchasing ANYTHING from the app store, or any other other Mac product.

My completly virgin iPhone is getting jailbroken today, and I may consider a T-Mobile service.

9. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Let me just make sure I'm interpreting this correctly...

I see confidentiality requests for "test setup photographs, external photographs, and user manual." to the FCC.

Does this mean that Apple is requesting confidentiality by the FCC in regards to the iPhone being capable of MMS? Meaning, that the 2.0 probably already does have an MMS option, but Apple needs more time before releasing it to the public?

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It could be anything, no one knows, although a front facing camera and Mobile TV are the main guesses as they were previously rumored.

MMS? Maybe. It is something that has had a lot of requests, so who knows?

11. punitnaker macrumors regular

seriously...what the hell is everyone bitchin' about?!

They were gonna keep the form factor the same. Everyone wanted 3G and they got it. GPS was one of those 50/50 features and it managed to sneak in! So what exactly didn't you get?

Front facing camera? use you're mac's isight to video chat but if you're not near your mac or pc or whatever, then you have a fantastic phone to make your calls on. Mobile video conferencing is not an essential part of a phone imo, even though its a great feature.

Better Camera? People who take pictures on cameras as their main source of photography can't expect fantastic pictures. My dad has a sony erricson with a 5MP camera..so what? he never really syncs it to his computer and while it looks great on his screen, pictures from the current iPhone look better on my 3.5inch screen too!!

Everyone is going on about copy & paste, MMS, bluetooth etc etc. Yes you've been bitchin about that for a long time, but seriously, it will happen eventually. Its only software. It can be updated.

Now is there anything HARDWARE related that people have to complain about please post them!

I will be getting the 3G iPhone, I'm getting it free as I'm in the UK and O2 have given us a fantastic deal. About 6 other people in my family are also getting iPhones, so honestly, your boycott ain't working

12. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I don't see anything appealing in the 3G version, so I guess I'm not upgrading, which in turn makes me a boycotter (?):confused:

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm pretty sure that is standard. They don't want anyone to steal their ideas. I wouldn't go crazy about it.

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Camera.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

They said they are hiding things that haven't been announced to the public yet, also if this was the case then why hold the external photos and manuals?

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I think they only thing they are hiding is the technical desgin of HOW to make an iphone. They want to keep that a secret as long as possible so people don't use the idea. I don't think they are saying they are hiding iphone features... that'd be kinda dumb on their part to intentially leave stuff out of the official public announcement when the whole worlds eyes are on them..

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iPhone also has many other features every other phone doesn't have.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, but for god sake don't bitch about it.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

External photos tell you how to make a iPhone do they?

And so do the manuals, right? They must include instructions on how to make your own iPhone :rolleyes:

19. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

I truly believe the 3G phone is for people like me who haven't bought an iPhone yet. It makes it more enticing. There are SOME features for those who have the phone, but, mostly I think the launch is geared more for us.

Just my 2 cents.

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

boycott for the wrong reasons

Although I too find it disappointing that the iPhone still lacks some pretty basic smart-phone features that it's competitors have (MMS, Bluetooth, better camera,video chat, chat, etc. etc.), let's face it, "iPhone 3G" is really a 1.0 product.

What I would boycott the iPhone for is the way Apple has just released it's customers to the wind and totally caved on the "new model" for cell-phone distribution that everyone was so hot about just a few months ago.

I still want one, but Apple has put my monopolistic, customer-hating cell provider in the drivers seat now so it's unlikely that the price will ever be anything approaching reasonable.

Given that other than a little extra speed, there is virtually nothing new in the hardware, nothing new in the software, and nothing new in the .Mac "upgrade" (weirdly, no one is even talking or seemed to notice that :rolleyes: ), why would I buy one unless it was a bit cheaper or at least the same price?

If ... (without any actual market pressure to do so), my provider offers the new iPhone at the same price as the original or a bit lower I will probably buy one. Given the price increase in the US though and the fact that my monopolistic provider has absolutely no incentive to do so, I don't hold out much hope.

It's not "stupid" to boycott the iPhone as many have implied on this thread, it's stupid to buy one when it's more expensive and hardly any more capable for the average user.

21. xploit macrumors regular

boycott?

Well I for one am not buying the 3g for the simple fact that there isn't that much to gain. What pay for a new phone that is more plastic and slightly faster at a higher monthly fee??? I think there will be a much upgraded model released somewhat soon. This model will more than likely have a better camera, better screen, message missed indicator, video capabilities and maybe even designed a bit differently. All this for a higher price that apple already knows people will pay for. Till then im gonna skip the new watered down version. For those people that say wait till I hold the plastic one in my ha nd I will say this: Plastic never ever feels better than metal. This phone is meant to go after blackberry and gain market share. Apple has always made more than one model of everything this won't be different so hold out for the flagship iPhone!

X-

22. agbot macrumors regular

Essential to who? You? "Apple product X has less features than Acme product Y and it can't possibly succeed" has been the argument against pretty much every Apple product in recent history. Have we had any keynote of the past few years that didn't end with MR users screaming for blood in the streets about something or other? At the end of it all, Mac sales are up, the iPod took over the world and it has never had the feature-to-feature checklist edge vs. competition, and I'm sure the new iPhone will sell like mad since the data and SMS rates are still on par with other smart phones (even though it was nice when the iPhone had cheaper rates). Clearly there is not much weight in comparing features on a checklist since for whatever magical reason, people want/buy Apple products.

Whatever the case, I was waiting for the new iPhone hoping for GPS and I got it. Now if I can buy two for my family plan without having to set foot in a damned AT&T store I'll consider it a win.

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

this is the most retarded thread ever. I've heard of boycotting because of child labor, etc. But to suggest to boycott because of a lack of features,well that is just a waste of bandwith.

You can easily just not buy one if you don't like it. Let others decide if they do. I find these type of threads to be wholly ignorant.

24. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Nope, you are completely unique. Nothing like this has been posted at all. Everone here is absolutely thrilled with every aspect of the 3G iPhone. However, I do agree with you. We need to boycot. Actually better yet, we need to set up a picket line. I tell you what. My town's Apple Store would be perfect. Plus it is only like 110 degrees here with high humidity so it is like a nice fall day out. Why dont you go ahead and head out now and start the picket line. I will be there as soon as I can. Just keep waiting for me. I will be there. If you feel like I wont, keep waiting and walking with your sign. I will be there. Just when you feel like you can't walk anymore, just keep picketing. I will be there.

:D