Brace yourselves for next year's 'premium' iPhone price increase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prabas, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

If these new Macs are an indication of the new pricing scheme for this 'premium' class of Apple devices, you can expect the next iPhone to be 20-40% more expensive. While you think it's bad in the US, look at European prices, it's absurd. I won't even mention what is happening in the UK...

2. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

3. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Omg they show a picture of a blown up crayon and give you a tiny oled touch pad instead of Fkeys so you have to look down all the time and charge a premium for it. Makes me feel like I shouldn't own an iPhone

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

iPhone 8 Plus Pro Touchbar Premium Edge Edition.

5. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

It will be even warmer, so orange screens? Maybe hiss in a different corner and develop micro scratches on the glass body.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Functions as a convenient hand warmer during those difficult winter conditions. Magical.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it's 40% more expensive I am probably out, particularly because there are four iPhone users in the family that would be looking at an upgrade. The plus already went up in price this year. Not super interested in dropping over a grand on a phone.

If carriers do the free with trade in upgrade though I'll be happy to let them pay for my phones.

8. macTW Suspended

I'll mention it. Brexit. That's why.

9. bufffilm, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I was less than impressed by today's keynote, but I don't buy Macs at all so maybe all of this, just blew past my head.

As for any price increase, I doubt they will raise the price on the plain Jane 4.7", but I could be wrong.

Either way, I don't care. Prior to the 6s, I didn't have a smartphone...ie. I'm fine with using a 6s for years to come. The 3.5mm jack going didn't earn any points with me either.

10. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

As for the price increase, apple is a luxury brand, can't have all you plebs walking around with them. Culling the herd! /s

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Lol if they are a "luxury brand" they need to seriously improve the quality control bc right now it's pathetic.

12. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

There are worse QC issues, at least the iPhone can't be a substitute for flint.

13. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

especially with Pixel on price parity with iPhones, and Samsung always being up there (and a premium one ending up turning out to be a massive liability and fail sadly)

Apple will need to one-up for the apple tax being secured. Tim Cook doesn't have enough, everybody

these iDevices are priced too fairly for the current market, even though still REALLY expensive as is

14. Elwots macrumors regular

What they'll do is make a "dumbed down" version and call it the regular iPhone, then add a few upgrades to last year's iPhone and call it "Pro." Instead of lowering the price for the "dumbed down" version, they'll keep it the same and charge a premium for the "pro," which will be what the next version should've been anyways.

15. T48 macrumors newbie

Know this is not the comparison the op was seeking. But am curious who will hit the $1,000 US Dollar mark first next year if any of the rumors are true about what the flagship 2017 phones will offer? Guessing that will be the mark where people begin to seriously rethink their purchase.

16. smorrissey macrumors 65816

while you think it's bad in europe, look at Latin America prices, es una mentada de madre!

17. Zorrotoro macrumors newbie

Orale ese vato!

18. smorrissey macrumors 65816

a huevo!

19. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I'm not questioning you on the plus going up in price, I really didn't pay attention. I do the at&t next upgrade every year and the monthly payment is actually approximately $5 Less per month for the 7plus 128g than it was for my 6S plus 64 g last year. So not sure where the price increase is.

20. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

There's this thing called competition. And if companies like Samsung, LG, and now Google are all hovering in similar price territories you can bet Apple will do the same.

It's no secret that Apple gains big profit margins on their products but even they don't have the nerve to expect big sales jump with a 15% MSRP bump, let alone 20-40%.

iPhone sales have stayed consistent, but they aren't cleaning house like before. This isn't 2010 anymore.

21. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

It has a screen. Just gorgeous

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

IMO, Apple is a premium brand not luxury. They sell too much product, they mass produce as well. Think Lexus, not Ferrari.

23. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Since Apple crippled pro users by only offering a max of 16 GB of RAM with no possibility of upgrading, ever...perhaps they will follow suit next year with the iPhone and reduce the amount of RAM inside. Why not? They did it to their Macs.

24. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Give me an Amoled iPhone with no bezels no home button maybe curved and I'll pay up
    What I'm saying is as long as it's really a great iphone 8 ok

It's time for a change in hardware

25. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

I spent a $1100 this year on my iPhone 7 plus. I don't know of my wallet can handle this anymore. With the rate apple is going, ill be spending $2000 on an iPhone.