Brand New Dented and Scratched MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yustas, May 26, 2010.

1. yustas macrumors regular

I bought the 15" MBP from Amazon. It came in with a dent in the right corner and a slight scratch to the left of the dent (not visible in the picture). I guess it is not a huge deal, but I think I should exchange it. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sure, if you feel like it. You can't decide this for yourself? :confused:

3. rjsmith18 macrumors member

rjsmith18

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Exchange it. If you don't it will annoy you for many years.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

do it or regret forever!!!!! also your resale value just dropped $200 :/

6. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

7. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

It does bother me. I mean, it is brand new and expensive, why should it be dented and scratched?

The reason I posted is to find out if something like this is common on MBPs. You know, like, for example, DELL claims that pinkish hue on certain monitors is within spec.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not particularly common, I don't think. It came in an actual Apple box, right? Weird.

9. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is in the Apple's box and everything. It was properly sealed and looks brand new. It is sold by Amazon, not by some other reseller selling on Amazon. I charged the battery, but when I saw the dent and a scratch I did not even want to turn it on, so I guess without actually turning it on I cannot be 100% certain that it is brand new, but it should be.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

you can't be 100% sure it's brand new by turning it on.
    you can be 100% sure it's brand new by how it was packaged.
    was the box sealed with the original circular tape?
    and when you took the laptop out, it should have been in a clear plastic wrap that was sealed by Apple.
    If that seal was broken, or not there, then it's probably not brand new/has been used.

11. burp macrumors newbie

i'd say keep it.
    it looks really small,
    you'll probably end up with something worse after some time of real life use anyway.

12. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure what you mean by "the original circular tape," but yes, the MBP was in clear plastic wrap and the seal on the plastic wrap was not broken. The box itself was sealed with a piece of clear tape.

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

and the clear tape on the box is a circle, isn't it

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That mark is noticeable enough that I recommend exchanging it if it bothers you. There's no sense in being unhappy about a purchase of this magnitude.

15. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

The clear tape on the box is located right where the plastic handle is. It is pretty much the same length as the plastic handle, but it is not a circle, it is a rectangle.

16. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

This is typical of the new MBPros from what I have seen lately. I would exchange it if it were mine... I kept my last unibody for 2 years and never once got a scratch or dent on it. If it's not important to you then just keep it and be happy.

17. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

You've bought something that you want to be beautiful and useful. Only you know if this will continue to bother you but I would have to exchange it. I know that every time I used the MBP the first thing that I would do would be to look at the dent.

18. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

honestly, its probably caused from the mass transit of mbps in the factory. its made from a solid block of aluminum, chopped, drilled, etc. My mbp has some minor flaws like a faint line that runs between the : button and the " button...when i slide my finger over it, it doesn't have an indentation. its like a smooth line (hard to explain, but im pretty sure their shouldn't be any line there). plus on the lid of my mbp, theirs a visible indentation that i can see at a certain angle in the light, when i slide my finger over it, that too also feels smooth and solid. soooo yeah...hope that rant helped lmao.

19. fongyuen macrumors 6502

return it, my brother had the exact same problem. they didn't give him any hassle. he kept his until the new one came in and then he shipped in the old one. got a incase case out of it, too.

20. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure I understand. Has he purchased it from Amazon?

I think Amazon sends a replacement only after they receive the original.

Also, what do you mean he "got a incase case out of it, too."? How? And what is "a incase case"?

Thanks.

21. electrolux76 macrumors member

Return it! AppleCare techs are trained to look for physical abuse. If your hard drive dies (or anything else goes wrong) while its still under warranty, that little dent could cause apple to refuse to cover the cost of repair.

22. calvy macrumors 65816

I just want to add that I bought a new i7 15" MBP last night from my local Apple store. The seal on the box is not a round piece of tape, as the other poster mentioned. It's rectangular, but the corners of the tape are kind of rounded off, instead of a perfect square as it would be if the tape had been cut off a roll of tape.

And to add my 2 cents, return it. Amazon has good customer service in my experience, and I'd expect better quality than that when buying brand new. It's not like you bought from eBay.

23. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Return it you paid that amount of money for the MBP you don't want anything to be wrong with it that was not your fault !

Saying that you could get a one back that it worse than the original one you sent away but I would keep going until you got one that your happy with for the price you paid for the machine.

24. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah when i read it was a "circle piece of tape" i was like "uuhhh...." lol

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Maybe Amazon does like Circuit City used to do (at least we had to do at my store even though it was wrong).

If we got a return we had to repackage it to look like brand new and stuck it back on the shelf as new instead of open box.