Brand New Macbook Pro...Strike 1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFanUK, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I received my brand new Macbook Pro today, opened it up, switched it on and got a horrid noise as if the fan is catching something.

As I bought this through the HE store, I got a 3yr parts and labour warranty as standard. I am concerned that if I just ask the Apple Store to swap it, I won't have my 3 year warranty.

If I bought it online through the HE store, can I expect an brick and mortor store to replace it rather than repairing it?

Is there any way I can transfer the 3 year standard warranty to the new one they give me?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They will attempt to repair it first, and the warranty should be transferable if you get a new one.

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

But if I only got my MBP today, why should I have to put up with them opening it up to repair it? Surely they should just swap it for a brand new one that works.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could ask them, just be prepared for disappointment.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Don't worry - they'll replace it for you there and then.

As your in your first 30 day period - its best for them (time-wise) to give you a replacement than to schedule a genius bar appointment and then to go through the whole schmak.

p.s. this is coming from someone who also had a replacement due to a faulty unit.

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

So should I just turn up and not bother with a genius bar appointment?

Cheers

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Just walk in with your Macbook and tell them you got it yesterday or whenever. They will replace it there and then. Remember to take the box, receipts etc...

EDIT: if you've already scheduled a genius bar appointment - you might as well attend as they will most likely replace the unit.

8. klee1987 macrumors regular

are you sure it's NOT the optical drive?

All Macbook optical drives make a noise whenever the machine starts up

9. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Just phoned the local store and they told me I cannot get a replacement instore as I bought it online....not impressed.

I'm positive. It's definately something catching the fan blades.

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Ahh, my bad - didn't notice that you'd bought it from their 'online' store.

Yeah, they're kinda anal about the whole online and offline business units. Phone up Applecare and tell them that this is your first machine and its acting up on day one.

11. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I've just spoken to AppleCare and after a fairly lengthy discussion (with me refusing to let someone open up my laptop), they have agreed to replace my MBP. Unfortunately, this means I will now be waiting another whole week while they mess around with an RMA, and then sending a new one.

Really not happy with this experience to be honest.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Although I agree that it sucks to have to wait another week, I must say that the experience is not that horrible since you are getting a brand new one. These things happen sometimes with people receiving defective items, at least they are rectifying it and sending another one. If you need the machine for business purposes then I'm sorry but otherwise try to keep your mind occupied for a week, the time will fly and next thing you know you'll have a perfect working machine.

13. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't mean to sound like I'm the only one that has ever had a defective machine, etc, it's just a bit frustrating.

14. klee1987 macrumors regular

dose the noise persist after switching on?

15. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

yes, as soon as the machine is switched on, the noise starts. It then fades when the laptop is switched off.

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I got a 17" uMBP just over a week ago and one of the fans in mine was dead on arrival. It was frustrating, but I got a new, upgraded machine shipped to me next business day.

Word of advice, you could try to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). They can provide Apple with proof they are in possession of the system and Apple will ship you your laptop and send the AASP FedEx labels to return the defective system. That way you don't need to wait as long. They did it for me anyway maybe that kind of service varies from person to person.

17. medavies macrumors newbie

had same experience

If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend had exactly the same experience. I noticed fan noise when we first booted it up. Thought we could swap it out at store. Went through a run around with phone support, first saying she could, then saying should couldn't. Had to RMA for a new unit. The upside is that they gave her a free laptop bag for the trouble and the new unit was fine.

She's always been a big mac fan, but this really made her question if they were the wonder company she had previously thought them to be.

It's ridiculous that they have different inventory (what we were told) between online and retail. Why should they be different?

18. copperz macrumors member

copperz

Sounds like its optical drive. Everyone does that. close the lid and let it go to sleep. Open lid do you hear the same noise?

19. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

It's definately the fan. The noise is constant, even when inserting and ejecting CD's from the optical drive.

Glad I'm not the only one :D

I doubt I'll get a freebie out of it, but just a working machine would suffice.

20. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

My replacement Macbook Pro is due to be delivered today - I got an email yesterday saying it had been shipped. However, I am yet to receive a phone call about collecting the faulty MBP and from today, I'm going to be in work full time and work won't agree to me having the laptop collected from there.

How long do I get to send the laptop back before Apple decide to charge me for it? Are they even allowed to charge me for it?

21. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I can't believe those of you who received a BRAND NEW replacement laptop are all pissed and talking like "Apple is not greatest company in the world any more because the initial laptop they sent you had a problem". They sent you a NEW replacement laptop. What else would you like them to do? Beg for forgiveness and plead that you'll stay loyal to the Apple brand, then upgrade your existing laptop and throw in a cookie?

The majority of companies in the world today would not give you a brand new replacement. They would take it in for repair and make you wait for it to be fixed. Be incredibly happy that Apple admitted their product was defective and replaced it.

Kids these days...

22. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I don't mean to be funny but you are getting a brand new laptop why would you not be impressed with the service?

Obviously these things take time and that is something you will regrettably have to deal with. :(

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but from my experience, and countless others on this site, it would appear that apple provides a better aftercare service than most of it's competitors

all in all though I'm glad you will be getting a new functioning laptop :)

23. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Excuse me?? My initial comments and frustration was down to the fact they were refusing to replace it and wanted me to send it in for a repair...something I find unacceptable. However, I am happy to be getting a replacement, it's just a shame it has taken a week to get one when then initial one was received within 2 days of ordering.

24. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

When my Mac mini (HE) was faulty on arrival I arranged a straight return & refund, and then started my order again.

Yes it took longer that way but when something arrives faulty it can sometimes be the best thing to do in order to keep things simple should there be issues or complications in the future.

Still, hope you get your replacement soon, such a shame your first one was faulty :(

25. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

You are getting what you want and demanded to the expense of us all so it really is a bit rich to say you're not happy. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.