Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
it was not a whim, it was broke. If my computer arrived broke brand new of course I would demand it be replaced. Demanding a replacement is the intellegent thing to do.

NO! Something is "broke" if it doesn't work. His laptop did. :rolleyes:

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
dunno what the sissyfits about. If they say to bring it in, all u have to say is no. i just opened it and want it replaced.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
NO! Something is "broke" if it doesn't work. His laptop did. :rolleyes:

NO! Something is broke if it does not work properly. His did not. He was right to demand it be replaced and Apple was right to replace it.

So far the only ones in this thread that were wrong, were the folks that attacked the OP with personal insults.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
NO! Something is broke if it does not work properly. His did not. He was right to demand it be replaced and Apple was right to replace it.

So far the only ones in this thread that were wrong, were the folks that attacked the OP with personal insults.

NO! Did his screen switch on? Did the notebook boot up? Could he browse the web? Could he listen to music, watch a movie??? YES! Therefore nothing is broke.

And anyway even if it was Apple have taken it upon themsleves to replace the working machine as he demanded yet he has the cheek to still cry over unspilt milk. Get a grip. :rolleyes:

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
NO! Did his screen switch on? Did the notebook boot up? Could he browse the web? Could he listen to music, watch a movie??? YES! Therefore nothing is broke.

And anyway even if it was Apple have taken it upon themsleves to replace the working machine as he demanded yet he has the cheek to still cry over unspilt milk. Get a grip. :rolleyes:

Ok, if you would accept a broken computer brand new, that's fine. Most people would not. He did not, I would not. Apple agreed to replace it.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

The only thing "broke" is your logic. If something is broken, it cannot perform its task. If something is defective, it will perform its task but not at 100% perfection. My first iPod touch 2G had a slit between the rubber gasket and glass screen. It's defective, but it still played music, browsed the web, launched apps, etc.

If that's your definition of "broke" (not even grammatically correct), then my house is "broke" too. The floor isn't 100% level and it creaks (aka MBP fan noise) when someone steps on the odd board or two.

Anyway, moving on to stuff that doesn't involve arguing with juveniles. I think if the OP bothered to wait for his MBP to ship, he can wait one week for a replacement. It's not like he lives in some remote area which has zero Apple Stores within a 500 mile radius. Most universities have Apple Stores either on campus or nearby.

Second... I'm curious as to why the OP jumped a mile when one of the first few posts replied "might not get a replacement, probably repair." I think there is some OCD involved.

Second, I recently dropped my MBP about 1-2" above my desk. Afterwards, the HD would spin and make noises. Except, it wasn't the HD. I thought it was initially, but it was actually the SuperDrive. Something got misaligned during the fall. Remembering an old trick, I slipped in a DVD, waited for it to read/spin and ejected it. The noise disappeared. I'm not saying the OP dropped his MBP, but try that trick and see if it works. No reason to get a replacement for something so minor. Replacements are for Macs that have had 3 similar problems (3 HD failures, 3 display problems, etc.) in a major area. Even if something was blocking the fan blades, a new fan would fix it. No need to exchange for a new unit for something so local.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Ok, if you would accept a broken computer brand new, that's fine. Most people would not. He did not, I would not. Apple agreed to replace it.

People teach grammar for a reason. Broken refers to 100% non-functional. The OP's MBP was not 100% non-functional. The problem was probably a dust in the fan blade or something so minor no one cares.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
People teach grammar for a reason. Broken refers to 100% non-functional. The OP's MBP was not 100% non-functional. The problem was probably a dust in the fan blade or something so minor no one cares.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly every single one of Apples consumers (higher prices) AND the environment (shipping unfaulty goods back and forth) will have to suffer because of the OP's and others clear OCD.

Makes me mad. :mad:

SmugMac

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Just phoned the local store and they told me I cannot get a replacement instore as I bought it online....not impressed.

Could I get you some Cheese with that Whine?

Just call Apple and get it sorted already. Far out green pickles!!!!

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
The only thing "broke" is your logic. If something is broken, it cannot perform its task. If something is defective, it will perform its task but not at 100% perfection. My first iPod touch 2G had a slit between the rubber gasket and glass screen. It's defective, but it still played music, browsed the web, launched apps, etc.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree.

Obvioulsy some people have differing views. Some, like me feel a $2000 computer should be in perfect order upon delivery. You are willing to accept less than that.

It's all good. Have a nice a day.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
No it clearly WASN'T broken. And Apple only agreed to replace it after much irrational hysterical whinging.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/8579262/

I disagree. Would you like to insult me too? Do you insult everyone you disagree with?

Fact is he bought a computer, it was not working properly, he returned it. Nothing irrational or hyrerical about that. You may disagree with his actions, but it's not reason to insult and attack him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.