MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brave, the browser which has gained momentum and popularity in recent years, is taking another leap forward in its quest to offer users a more private and secure internet experience. Starting today, Brave browser users will have access to Brave Search in beta, a completely new search engine that offers "unmatched privacy."

Brave Search was announced last March, and since its announcement, it's been tested by more than 100,000 users. Brave, which prides itself on being a "browser reimagined," recently surpassed 32 million monthly active users and is hoping that Brave Search will further its role in the browser market.

Brave Search beta is available to all Brave browser users on iOS, Android, and desktop starting today. At first, users will need to manually select Brave Search as their search engine option, alongside other choices such as Google and Bing. However, Brave Search will become the default and standard search engine for the Brave browser later this year.

Unlike Google and others, Brave Search doesn't track users, their searches, or clicks. Instead, Brave Search "puts users first, and fully in control of their online experience." The "completely independent" search engine also promises full transparency, with "no secret methods or algorithms for bias results," and soon will roll out "community-curated open ranking models to ensure diversity and prevent algorithmic biases" and censorship.

Brendan Eich, CEO and co-founder of Brave, says the new search engine is the "real alternative" to Big Tech, such as Google, and that it offers a new way for users to securely and privately browse the web without the worry of their privacy.
Unlike older search engines that track and profile users, and newer search engines that are mostly a skin on older engines and don't have their own indexes, Brave Search offers a new way to get relevant results with a community-powered index, while guaranteeing privacy. Brave Search fills a clear void in the market today as millions of people have lost trust in the surveillance economy and actively seek solutions to be in control of their data.
One major upside for users using Brave Search, currently still in beta, is its ad-free experience. When the search engine exits beta, Brave is pledging to offer users options for an ad-free search experience and an "ad-supported free" experience later. The company also said it would "explore bringing private ads with BAT revenue share to search," as it's done for Brave Browser users.

brave-search-engine-results.png

Brave relies on its own index for the web, rather than relying on Google Search and Microsoft's Bing. To do this, Brave is relying on "anonymized contributions from the community to improve and refine results."
In order to present a true independent alternative to big tech, Brave decided to build its own index rather than rent it from Google or Microsoft, as other smaller search engines are currently doing. Brave Search includes anonymized contributions from the community to improve and refine results.
At launch, Brave's index will still struggle to meet the levels of Google and others with search queries such as image search. Until Brave's index can expand, it will rely on using third-party APIs. Brave Search is also introducing an "independence metric" that will inform users on the independence of their search results to ensure no bias in the index or algorithm.
Brave Search is also introducing the industry's first search independence metric, displaying the ratio of results coming exclusively from Brave's index. It is derived privately using the user's browser as we do not build user profiles. Users can check this aggregate metric to verify the independence of their results and see how results are powered by our own index, or if third-parties are being used for long tail results while we are still in the process of building our index.
Brave Search in beta is available starting today for Brave browsers on iOS, Android, and the desktop. It will also be available to non-Brave browser users at search.brave.com

Article Link: Brave Search Now Available in Beta as Privacy-Protecting Search Engine Alternative to Google

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
"One major upside for users using Brave Search, currently still in beta, is its ad-free experience. When the search engine exits beta, Brave is pledging to offer users options for an ad-free search experience and an "ad-supported free" experience later."

Looks like they may be gearing up for some type of sub model for those who don't want ads.

Comment

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
This smells suspiciously of a commercial version of DuckDuckGo. Why not just push DuckDuckGo as their search engine and get more people onto a privacy orientated search that already exists?
Because Brave isn't really about privacy. Watch them mess with the links again to add their affiliate codes, haha.

Comment

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Peter Thiel invests in Brave. Be careful with stuff like this, they may talk a big game when it comes to privacy, but who knows how much they'll stick to their guns as they grow.
Wondering if we always have to assume these things are a trap.. How does the IC keep their hands in everything. Make and promote all the “privacy” products and secretly back door/own them all.. same strategy as alt news.

Reactions: allpar
Comment

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
My friend in Germany swears by this browser. Privacy in Europe is a big deal.
It's hard to swear by something as protecting your privacy. Whether it does or not, you don't see the effects of it. But if I were to pick one, Brave would be among the last. Edit: I say it's even worse than Chrome. Borderline browser hijack software.

Last edited:
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I use DuckDuckGo on my Mac, iPhone and iPad and it's good enough 90% of the time. I also use content blockers and now use that iCloud+ security stuff, at least on my iPhone and iPad in the betas, so using Google sometimes has a lower risk. But sometimes Google can't be matched, especially for resolving specific programming issues.

Comment

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
One major upside for users using Brave Search, currently still in beta, is its ad-free experience. When the search engine exits beta, Brave is pledging to offer users options for an ad-free search experience and an "ad-supported free" experience later.
Another subscription service. Blech!

Comment

ruka.snow

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
For me, Google performs waaaay better than Bing and duckduckgo.
Sure I don't like Google tracking me, but something I don't like even more is ****** search results.
After using DuckDuckGo for years now, I tried out Google and found the results where not as good. Not just poor results but the presentation of the results where poor. I don't think this means Google is bad, I think the search engines learn you or you learn them and switching results in poor or unexpected results.

Comment

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
After using DuckDuckGo for years now, I tried out Google and found the results where not as good. Not just poor results but the presentation of the results where poor. I don't think this means Google is bad, I think the search engines learn you or you learn them and switching results in poor or unexpected results.
I think you’re on to something big here

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
For me, Google performs waaaay better than Bing and duckduckgo.

Sure I don't like Google tracking me, but something I don't like even more is ****** search results.

That's the eternal tradeoff, huh.

Free, good search, but they track you. (Google)

Free, not so good search, but at least it's private. (DDG, Bing, Brave)

And there might be a third option where you pay Brave to not get ads. Unclear if the results get better if you pay. :p

I can't see that model being sustainable, though.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

w5jck

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2013
Seems rather odd to name it "Brave". Is that because you need to be brave to try out something that may or may not be what is advertised to be. Just because it says it is private, is it really? Will it keep your searches private as time goes on? Or is it just another Google waiting to screw us over for billions of dollars after we get hooked on it? I'll stick with DuckDuckGo for searches I prefer to keep private.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.