Bricked iPhone with 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h.21, Mar 17, 2009.

1. h.21 macrumors member

So I just installed the iPhone OS before registering my device UDID, and apparently installation on non-registered devices will render them inoperable. Is there anything I can do to revert my device back to a working state? Does anybody know? This is my primary phone so I'm kinda really screwed here. Any knowledge you have will help me.

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Can you do a DFU downgrade? If you're in 10.5.6 you need to run the hack to reenable it. If it's possible to downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2.1, then I'll install it.

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Yikes, that sucks... Should've did a bit more homework before doing that. After watching the keynote, I wanted to try to get it and after a while I came across that you have to register your device else it wouldn't work and that once you upgrade to 3.0 you can't go back to the previous version...

If I find anything that can help you, I'll let you know

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

no one has answered my question if we can upgrade to the released version when it comes out if you have the beta on your phone

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Of course you can upgrade from the beta once the final is out.

I want the original poster to try to do a DFU restore to see if its possible.

6. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

how do i register my device?
    I just downloaded and stopped it once i read this? so how do i register my device so i dont brick it?

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

If you're talking about if you upgrade to the 3.0 beta, then upgrade to the 3.0 final version, then I'm sure you can... but I'm not 100% sure, nor will anyone else... I think. (waiting for someone to correct me :p)

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

You have to register your UDID with "Program Portal" but to be able to do that you need to pay the $99. Blasphemy!

9. JPyre macrumors 6502

Umm plug in you iphone, open xcode, register the udid and reinstall

I had quite a bit of trouble with 2.1 beta 3, 4, & 5 downgrading to 2.0.
    If I remember... to downgrade to 2.0 from 2.1b5 you had to DFU to 2.1b4 then to 2.0.

Sooo you may be outta luck downgrading even if you use DFU, try DFU on windows if a mac DFU errors out at the end.

Good luck, I'd just register and reinstall and enjoy it, its fine for use as a phone.

10. JPyre macrumors 6502

Yes of course, it will be a higher firmware and os number than the beta.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You can register your device ID after the fact. ;)

Just fire up XCode while the iPhone is connected, copy the UDID, and register it with Program Portal (on the website) ... I did the same thing with my 2G iPod touch and it works fine now. Once you register it, eject from iTunes and re-connect. Voila! You can sync again.

12. h.21 thread starter macrumors member

How would you recommend I do this? For some reason, XCode crashes upon launch. I am already downloading the 3.0 SDK which has a newer version of XCode, correct? If the UUID shows up in XCode it sounds like I will be golden. If not, I may have issues.

It will be done downloading in ~15 minutes and I will advise back then.

I may try a DFU downgrade if that does not work. Thank you all for your posts so far. :)

-edit-

That is great to hear! I found the quote on Apple's site and I interpreted it to mean that if a person did what I did, they would have an unusable device. If this is not the case I will be highly delighted.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

NP - I was kind of worried, too - but it all worked out. You just need the UDID. Once you register, it will work in iTunes within seconds. :)

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The old Xcode won't work, BUT download the iPhone Configuration Utility (http://support.apple.com/downloads/iPhone_Configuration_Utility_1_1_for_Mac_OS_X) which DOES work with 3.0 and you can get your ID there (much faster download - ~9MB vs 2.5GB.

15. afornander macrumors 6502

wait, so you can just register it with iHphone configuration utility, or xcode.... do you Need to register it in the portal as well?

16. daffydude macrumors newbie

This may be a stupid question, but do they post updates for this before the actual 3.0 release? I mean, will we get an updated beta? Signed up three months ago and have been working on an app, just have yet to see an update.

Thanks

17. The General macrumors 601

*Powers down time machine*

Hey guys, just got back from the future. Turns out you CAN update to 3.0 final from 3.0 beta.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yes you need to register it in the portal. However, because the 3.0 SDK is downloading incredibly slowly right now (the old Xcode won't work with 3.0), you can get your Device ID by using the Config Utility.

19. h.21 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but it's not needed. I took the chance to take a much needed walk and clear my head and relax.

Hey, you were right! Thank you so much for helping me with this. I was really worried that I had screwed up big time. After I provisioned my device it did recognize in iTunes and I'm restoring from a backup now. Thanks again!! :D

20. fjk macrumors regular

i answered your question and said yes of course you can. why would apple brick every developers' phones once the beta is completed???

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are stuck there. You cannot downgrade back down to 2.2.1 goodness. Sorry, but the Dev Team and pretty much everyone who has been in the iPhone scene since last Spring warned people, not to update unless you are really comited to developing.

Sorry if I sounded like an a$$ hole, but its the God honest truth and this way we can have fewer "help me, 3.0 beta bricked me!" threads.

3.0 Beta - Lesson to be learned, casual users be warned, once you update you are on your own!

22. aedmonds63 macrumors newbie

Thank God I'm not the only one who did this. So I was able to click the button to register my device--does this mean at some point I will be able to use the device after the udid is enterd into the database?

23. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Did you bring back 3.0 Final with you? :D

24. aedmonds63 macrumors newbie

Phew....restored to 3.0 - opened xcode and copied UDID - input UDID into Program Portal. Started itunes and all is right with the world! Waiting for device to finish syncing!:):):):)

25. RxMac macrumors 6502

You can find the UDID through the system profiler even when the phone is bricked.... just go to USB and click on iphone, use the serial number.... then go to registration portal on the developer page, no need for xcode...