Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

British Carrier Says 5G iPhone Just 'Days Away' in Internal Video Featuring Apple's Eddy Cue

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is on the cusp of launching its first 5G iPhone models, according to Marc Allera, the CEO of British Telecom's consumer brands BT and EE.

"We are just days away from Apple's next major launch, a 5G iPhone, which will be a huge boost for 5G," said Allera, in an internal video presentation shared with the company's employees today. "Teams in all parts of Consumer have been preparing all year to win this launch, and be Europe's number one partner for Apple."

Apple's services chief Eddy Cue made a brief appearance during the video, praising EE for becoming the first carrier to offer smartphone plans bundled with multiple Apple services, including Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+.

While new iPhones are usually announced in September, multiple reports claim that Apple plans to unveil its iPhone 12 lineup in October this year. This timeframe was effectively confirmed by Apple itself, which during its June quarter earnings call indicated that supply of new iPhones would be available "a few weeks later" this year.

Four new iPhone 12 models are expected, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, all with OLED displays, 5G support, and a new flat-edged design. Rumors have suggested that Apple may opt for a staggered launch, with some models launching later than others, but the exact order of the rollout remains to be seen.

Article Link: British Carrier Says 5G iPhone Just 'Days Away' in Internal Video Featuring Apple's Eddy Cue

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I’lol be surprised if (a return to) the flat-edged design appeals to me. But that’s ok because I purchase discontinued models anyway, so I can still upgrade to an 11 Pro Max.

Apple’s new prices are just insane. Never thought it could cost more than 1k dollarydoos for an iPhone let alone above $2k. The highest is a whopping 2.5k for a 512 GB Pro Max!

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I don’t understand the 5G craze, LTE is more that sufficient for most people. Not to mention, some networks aren’t even fully done rolling out LTE, why begin another project? AT&T’s LTE is so poor in my area.
I agree about the 5G craze... 4G LTE works perfectly for me 98% of the time now since lower frequencies have been opened up in my country meaning better coverage.
It's just another "new" technology, although it is definitely taking longer and will need a lot of work to get it where they dreamed it to be

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t understand the 5G craze, LTE is more that sufficient for most people. Not to mention, some networks aren’t even fully done rolling out LTE, why begin another project? AT&T’s LTE is so poor in my area.
When the iPhone 5 came out:

"I don't understand the 4G LTE craze, 3G HSPA is more than sufficient for most people. Not to mention, some networks aren't even fully done rolling out 3G HSPA, why begin another project? AT&T's 3G HSPA is so poor in my area."

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Are you REALLY surprised? You think average people do research on the technology? Lol they just see marketing and a higher number and instantly want it.

Also, LTE is superb in a lot of cities. 5G may not be groundbreaking, but it has its benefits depending on where you are.

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
So, When is the iPhone is being released? I thought 5G was already out?

Sure, the tech and service plans are already and available. But not necessarily available everywhere or providing the service performance it's promising at all and pretty far away from it's supposed "peak time".

Interestingly, if my memory serves me right, 4G still haven't reached its full capability up to this day and there still is a distance (quite a distance) from its theoretical top speed.

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
What was Craig saying during the keynote last week? Maybe he was also dropping clues when they flew past him two times? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.