Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anything that is not a native app is likely broken as no iOS 8 app updates have been or will be issued until Fall.
There are plenty of apps that are working just fine, and quite a few that might only have some small inconsequential glitches at most.

leerocks01

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Does Tapatalk 2, twitter, facebook, Viber newsify works with this beta version of iOS 8 works? Can anybody comfirm this on iPhone 5s. I'm in the verge of intalling but having 2nd thoughts.

Njdevil88

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
My messages app isn't letting me do the reply from the notification. And when sending a message and I tap the camera icon to send a pic there's no preview of the pics

yeedawg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Taking a Snapchat video is broken! I've also noticed that iOS 8 Doesn't like to watch videos, no matter where you are in the phone.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I hate to post this every time but did you try a "Reset All Settings"?

I'm on iPad mini retina and all these apps work fine. 1Password works, etc. I haven't put the beta on my iPhone yet so maybe this may be related to the new keyboard support being enabled in iPhone but not iPad yet. But give Reset a try since stuff like opening "Settings" should not fail.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Does Tapatalk 2, twitter, facebook, Viber newsify works with this beta version of iOS 8 works? Can anybody comfirm this on iPhone 5s. I'm in the verge of intalling but having 2nd thoughts.

Not sure of Viber and newsify. Rest are working fine

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Its great to know that you are being pro-active unlike some others. Shows the value in a paid product sometimes

Thank _you_ for the comment. It means a lot to hear that people appreciate going the extra mile to help. :)

Same here. Totally unusable.

Sometimes the settings app won't even open, just shows a black screen on my 5S

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password. Just in case you missed the previous message in this thread, we're aware of the issues and have fixed several of them in our latest beta update for our beta users. Most of them have a working 1Password on iOS 8 after this update. A couple of others ran into other issues but we're working through those as they come in.

We're still trying to figure out if these fixes can be sent to the App Store now or whether it requires that we wait for iOS 8 to ship. Keep in mind that this is sometimes out of our control because the fixes might require changes that involve using a different SDK version (8.0 instead of targeting iOS 7). In this situation we have to wait for Apple to start accepting applications for iOS 8.

I caution people from installing iOS betas on their primary device because it can sometimes be months before Apple allows developers to submit applications for that new version of iOS. This is completely out of Developer control, we have no pull on this and it's a wait game.

If these fixes can be issued for iOS 7 then we'll do our very best to get those sent in for approval from Apple.

Also, please keep in mind that the SDK has been in developer hands for about 4 days at this point. It often takes more than 4 days for an app to even be reviewed by Apple. So, even if many developers have fixed issues there are two things preventing it from getting to users:

1) The above, where fixes may require being able to target iOS 8, which Apple is not accepting applications for at the moment and usually do not until about a month or so before release.

2) Review times take several days and combined with WWDC being absolutely game changing they may not fix these bugs until later in the week. They are there in San Francisco to learn this week. This is like Christmas for developers. Given that, it could take apps that _can_ fix the issues by targeting iOS 7 and not iOS 8 until next week to show up.

I hope that helps clarify a lot of things for everyone and sets some expectations for other developers a bit. Of course, if you have specifics for other developers please _ask them_ since only they can give you a definitive answer for the particular issues they are encountering.

I'm on iPad mini retina and all these apps work fine. 1Password works, etc. I haven't put the beta on my iPhone yet so maybe this may be related to the new keyboard support being enabled in iPhone but not iPad yet. But give Reset a try since stuff like opening "Settings" should not fail.

I suspect some of the issues come down to how the user is syncing, or particular settings the user may have changed. I'm not fully clear on the details, but I believe at least one issue was centered around iCloud. I can't say 100% for sure on that though as our developers are still at WWDC and I'd rather not interfere with their learning. This week is a big deal for them as they're trying to absorb everything they can and talk to as many Apple engineers as they can to either get kinks worked out for bugs we've submitted to them or find better ways to make the application better for our users.

We have several people in the company with no issues on iOS 8, so there are definitely some gotchas for some users.

Last edited:

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
My whatsapp started OK, but then i started to exchange messages with a friend and then whenever i open his conversation it crashed. Keeps happening even after a reseting the iphone...

It did displayed an ios 8 warning when i first opened it, but it seemed to have something to do with icloud storage of my whatsapp's conversations & media.

is anyone else having this issue?

yep... And it is too much... And everytime it does that the only cure is to clear all conversations...

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

May I respectively suggest the iOS 7 forum for you? You are way over your head in here.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Facebook not playing videos on iP5S. I get an "Unable to play video...check your internet connection and try again" message.

I'm pretty sure this had been working but now isn't...hmmm.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Facebook not playing videos on iP5S. I get an "Unable to play video...check your internet connection and try again" message.

I'm pretty sure this had been working but now isn't...hmmm.
Various people have mentioned this not working in iOS 8 beta 1.

zedsar

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
I found a lot of broken apps too:
Google Drive
Google Docs
Google Sheets
Circa
Google Search
Oceanhorn
Minigore 2
(Old-from iOS 7;not beta version for iOS 8,if that is out already) Swiftkey-Keyboard is not working
Landscape Popups are glitched on every app I have been on that uses those.

All on iPhone 5s running iOS 8 beta 1

Also, surprisingly, gba4ios works just about perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.