Broken (i)Phones Everywhere?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Peter K., May 13, 2016.

1. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I don't mean to come off as self-righteous, preachy, or soap box-y. I feel like I have seen an awful lot of broken smartphones (mostly cracked/shattered screens) and am wondering if anyone else here feels the same.

Personally, I couldn't live with such a thing, which is why I use a case and screen protector. If I had to have a naked iPhone, I would definitely get Apple Care+.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iPhone 6s+. No cases, no screen protector, no carrier insurance, no AC+.

Also, no dents, no scratches, no cracked screen. Looks the same as when i got it seven months ago.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I've seen a huge number of iPhones with cracked or shattered screens since the 6 series came out.

It's actually getting rare for me to see an iPhone that doesn't have a broken screen.

My iPhone 5 has been dropped numerous times face down, and it's still fine.

But for the last year, every time I see an iPhone 6 series come out of someone's pocket, the screen is cracked.

Now, the nice thing is that I see them using the phones and they are still functioning with cracked screens. So at least that's something.

Now, admittedly the crowd I hang out with tends to be very active manual labor types. I don't know many people who get to sit in an office. And likewise, I don't tend to hang around people who obsess about perfection.

For me, I'm pleased with my iPhone 5. But it will probably be my last iPhone. I don't baby my tools. They are tools, and I expect them to endure a rough environment.

Interestingly, I haven't observed an android phone with a cracked screen yet. It is certainly likely that they're out there. I just haven't observed any being pulled out of people's pockets with cracked screens.

The people I tend to find myself around don't bother replacing things that are damaged unless it becomes completely inoperative. So as long as they can make a call from the phone, they are unconcerned with whether the screen looks like a spider web.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have dropped my 6S Plus a few times, maybe like twice face down without any problems. This very last time I just broke part of the case it was in.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Still got my 6+ from launch day and it's not got a scratch on it.
    Same could be said for my 4 and 5.
    I work in an office though so maybe that helps!
    I use a screen protector and a case on the back.

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The 5 was a TANK. The 6/6s design cracks so easily because the glass curves on the sides to give a nice feel when you swipe. But a single nick and it'll crack. I went from a 5 to a HTC one m7 which shattered (fell maybe a foot onto my iPad, it shattered too), then to a nexus 5 which I also shattered. Ive also seen less android phones broken though, although I've also seen much less android phones used compared to iPhones. I bought into the "android is more durable" it was one of the main reasons why I switched, I hoped they'd be more durable, wasn't true and I hated the software, switched back to iPhone when they made the least durable one yet.

7. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Probably because the people breaking their phones are more likely to report on it. Likewise, the people not breaking their phones are less likely to report on it, unless they're doing something like replying to a thread like this. So it's going to seem more disproportionate than it probably is.

As for me, I've never used a case, I've dropped my iPhone 4 tons of times, but only shattered the back panel twice... the front glass has always escaped unscathed.

8. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

I've never used cases on my phones.
    What's the point of an Ive-thin aluminium phone if you hide it under an ugly plastic/silicone case, which makes it thicker again?
    Also I don't mind some scuffs or scratches, after all it's just a phone. I would mind a broken display, but I've managed to get around that so far.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

No cracks on mine (6s). I try not to drop things but accidents do happen. No cracks on my previous 6s+ either or Android phone. Know of two individual that have dropped their phones a few times and broke the screen. They are of the younger crowd and are not careful. They did not have AppleCare +, but now they do. Wouldn't you know it, they broke the screen again. Some youths today. :rolleyes:

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i see them (iphone) alot here. i could quess and say that about 75% of iphones have cracked screens which i have seen, tiny cracks or shatterred totally. unfortunately you cant buy applecare for iphones here - they dont sell it (only for ipad/macs).

i use a glass screen protector (ultimate shield) and apple leather case. i think i havent ever dropped my iphone though... cant remember...

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

One thing to keep in mind is cases don't always help, nor screen protectors.

If you have an otterbox you'd probably be safer. Not everyone likes bulky cases.

I hate though when I'm out and people show me pictures on their devices with broken screens

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hate when people tell me about how wonderful the design of the iPhone is and everything that's great about it - and then show me their iPhone all locked up in an Otterbox where no one can tell what the hell it is!

But I hate Otterboxes in general so there's that. :)

13. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Thanks for all the replies; I truly wondered if it was just I who was seeing so many broken phones.

The thinness isn't one of the "features" of iPhones that I love, so "hiding" it doesn't bother me at all.

Ah yes, (some of) today's youths...

I use an Otterbox Commuter on my 6S+ and I totally agree with you regarding looking at pictures on cracked/shattered screens.

See above; guilty of Otterbox-ing my phone.

14. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

What's the point of getting such a beautiful device and putting it in a case? I never used a case and I never cracked any of my iPhones. People that use cases sicken me just as much as people with broken screens. It's easy, you just have to be more careful and do the following: get a comfortable computer job, or even better don't have a job, don't do any outdoor activities, and spend most of you free time indoors on the internet. You too can have a naked phone with no blemishes. lol at people with cases.

15. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

I put on cases purely for aesthetics, sometimes I use the phone with no case. Sometimes the phone by itself looks boring, which is when I put on cases. That said, I absolutely hate bulky cases especially with a 6s plus, like otterbox mentioned here.

I do drop my phone sometimes though, I remember my iPhone 4 dropped countless times until it finally fell flat on its face on a concrete ground and shattered completely. At that point I've used it for two years. My 5c also shattered after a drop that just hit it wrong... My 6 plus cracked in the corner from a bad drop but not enough to interfere with the screen itself which was nice, gave to a friend and got another 6 plus which got stolen so now I'm on 6s plus. Dropped a few times but no damage so far. However, I have a few chips on the bottom from god knows where. Definitely not caused by dropping. Oh well.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is an example of where it comes down to the aesthetics of the case then and not the phone. So, the attraction to the iPhone at that point is usually because of iOS.

If iOS were able to run on cheap Android phones I imagine Apple would lose quite a few customers. Those who are in it only for iOS rarely care what their phone looks like - but want to protect their investment. Hence why cases sell.

That said, while I do hate cases I am an advocate for them where it concerns physical jobs. I work in an office, so I can afford to not like cases. But if I were a construction worker or anything like that I'd have my phone in a case on the job.

17. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

My choice of cases are usually thin ones that are either transparent with a bit of color added, or hard cases that open up on top and bottom, so the iPhone's color compliments the case (currently have a flower patterned minty blue case with my rose gold, love the pink that shows from my phone with the case). If I had a physical job or had a hobby that involves physical activity (ex. My dad loves to go hiking) I would absolutely get a bulky case, though! But I'm just a student with lots of free time on a vacation, which is why I care about my phone's looks.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I been buying iphones since 2007 when the original iphone 2G came out and had iphones since then.
    I never broke a single screen or cracked it or had any liquid damage.
    I use regular cases for protection but dont usually drop them.
    Some people are more accident prone than others and break their cell phones very often.
    Depends on the person I guess. A strong and solid otterbox case would help in those situations.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Because people have the choice to do as they wish. Case or no case it is everyone's choice.

"People who use cases sicken me". LOL! Please wipe the vomit off your face.

20. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Pretty strong reaction, I think.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have to agree.

I am strongly anti-case, but that's just my opinion and only applies to me (my wife uses cases). Whether someone else chooses to use a case or not does not affect me nor do I have any say in that decision - although I may have an opinion about their choice.

But then that goes back to what my mother taught me. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you're a person who is more concerned with showing the world how sleek the latest iPhone is, then that's up to you.

If you're a person who prizes keeping the phone pristine and new looking, then protect it as you see fit.

If you don't care one way or the other, and can accept damage, then do nothing to protect it. Up to you.

If you are likely to damage it in the course of your typical day or due to occupational environment, and you can't afford to replace or repair it if it becomes damaged, then put it in a case if you like.

I don't deliberately try to damage my phone, and I do like to keep it in good working order. But I recognize that my lifestyle is hard on anything I am carrying. Anything I have with me at any given moment is likely to become damaged.

It's just because I am more concerned with life and getting things done, instead of worrying about whether something I have in my pocket might get damaged.

I don't even usually notice if I injure myself. Usually someone else will ask about a wound on me before I notice it's there.

But I also can't afford a new phone or repair every month. So I put a thin plastic case on the sides and back, and a thin adhesive screen protector on its face.

Sure it might take more than a casual glance to notice it's an iPhone 5. But who cares. It's a phone, a tool. I don't care if someone else recognizes it at a glance or not. I just want it to operate as a phone when I need to call someone.

The average consumer buys a phone to make calls. Many also use it for email and Internet. And most don't care whether anyone else recognizes or likes the phone they have.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There are iPhone owners who seem to drop their phone on a regular basis. I strongly suggest they have cases or AC+. To those who want to have their iPhone go naked, more power to you. Everyone needs to make their own choice appropriately.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When I can afford to purchase AC+ I do so. Not because I am accident prone or drop my phones, but usually to protect myself from one particular person at work who has NO respect for personal space and has broken or damaged my stuff just by her movement alone.

She is the type of person who can trip while walking across an even floor.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Good grief, she sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Not so sure I would be so patient with a coworker like this.