iPhone 11 Pro Brutally honest realisation after today’s experience in Apple store

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
1) there is no visible difference in screen quality, brightness, vibrancy between the iPhone 11 and iPhones 11 pro

2) I feel like the only person who purchased the pro but didn’t get the max.

What was your honest experience?

Reactions: Elitegate and CE3

jokerz126

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
got the max cause i want the bigger screen...but i think the 11 is the best bang for buck...i could tell the difference in screen quality between xs max and xr...but probably not everyone can

Reactions: profets

jimmy_uk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Using the Pro Max and 11 side by side this evening has me leaning to keeping 11. But the screen size and inky blacks on the Pro Max is definitely a strong edge against the 11 lcd. Don't get me wrong, the 11 screen is good and much better than my 7 plus. But the Pro Max is kinda special, I just don't know if it's over £500 price difference is justified. I'll come back to this in a few days of test driving. (128gb 11 vs Pro Max 256gb).

11 - pros:
Fit a finish is perfect. Smooth as a beach pebble. (Meanwhile my pro max has a sharp/rough gasket on front).
Screen is bright.
Size feels good in hand.
Same ram and processor.
Much cheaper price.
Black. Actually 100% black body. (All black everything).

Cons:
Thicker bezel. This is really highlighted by the very rounded corners and narrower screen compared to Pro Max.
Finger print magnet on back.
Speakers loud but not as rich as Pro Max.

Last edited:

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Guess the max size vs regular is just a matter of preference, and less relevant when you carry around an iPad everyday. However I’m realising that the so called difference between this LCD and OLED screens isn’t as massive as the reviewers make out and I’m starting to think the price difference between the 11 and Pro just isn’t worth it. Consider , the 11 has a larger screen and a bigger battery too!

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I can see an obvious screen different with someone holding them side by side in a youtube video. The difference should much more obvious in person I would think.
You'll notice it more with less ambient light. And even more still when watching videos with HDR.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
There's a huge difference with OLED. You may not see it in the Apple store, but if you own one you can never go back.

I'm sort of tired of my iPad, as it's time for OLED for those.

I'm not a serious tech person either. Others will chime in here. If there is a single case of a OLED user going back, money not being an object, I will be surprised as hell. Then again, you rationalize, so there's that.

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
There's a huge difference with OLED. You may not see it in the Apple store, but if you own one you can never go back.

I'm not a serious tech person either. Others will chime in here. If here a single case of a OLED user going back I will be surprised as hell.
I can see it on a TV, just not in those three phones positioned side by side
- - Post merged: - -

I'm not a serious tech person either. Others will chime in here. If here a single case of a OLED user going back I will be surprised as hell.

oVerboost

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Guess the max size vs regular is just a matter of preference, and less relevant when you carry around an iPad everyday. However I’m realising that the so called difference between this LCD and OLED screens isn’t as massive as the reviewers make out and I’m starting to think the price difference between the 11 and Pro just isn’t worth it. Consider , the 11 has a larger screen and a bigger battery too!
The 11 doesn’t have a bigger battery than either Pro model.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
Absolutely, it's not that much of a concern on a phone, but over time it becomes a thing. Then again, it's small.

An iPad would be a big step up.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
1) there is no visible difference in screen quality, brightness, vibrancy between the iPhone 11 and iPhones 11 pro
If there was no visible difference, they wouldn't have different pricing tiers, and also apple would be open for litigation as they wouldn't be able to market oled screen as a difference.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I’ve compared the OLED display of my iPhone X this evening against the LCD display of the iPhone 11 size by side, playing the same scenes of a film at the same time and honestly I can’t See much difference at all and certainly not the difference that the price reflects

TV’s etc it’s easily noticeable, however on these displays I just dont see it

Reactions: dexterie

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
I took a shot of the new 11 and 11 Pro whilst picking up my new watch. When side there is very little in it size wise. Note when I checked the 11 screen wasn’t at full brightness in the attached shot but the 11 Pro was.

In comparison to my 8+ both are smaller and have bigger total screens. One thing I did find strange was the video switching when zooming on the Pro. As I zoomed the video flickered and the colour temp changed as I went up and down zoom levels, Pro it was certainly not.

Also found different colour temps when using the different lenses and it just isn’t as intuitive to zoom in and out as it was on all previous duel cameras phones either almost a backward step.

Attachments

Reactions: profets

jimmy_uk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Sad to report that the biggest deciding factor for me is Apples implementation of OLED using a PWM range that messes with my eyes once again. After several hours of using the Pro Max I can feel the fatigue in the backs of my eyes and my vision feels a little screwy. It’s very subtle and minor but my eyes are telling me “no” this is not for me I think.

Sure starring at a small screen for a long period of time is not going to be good for your vision and I am wearing contact lenses, but I don’t have this issue with any other display. 3rd year of trying Apple OLED with negative results.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
After trying out some Samsung models in the past and felt eye strain I was hesitant about getting the max, but thankfully no eye strain, no headaches.

Apple calibrates their lcd panels very well and there is a difference between the XR and the oled screen of the max, even though some people may not see the differences in various situations.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2012
I bought the max last year because I wanted the bigger screen but after using it for a day I realized it was just too big for me. Went back down to an XS and this time around got the 11 Pro. I just think this is the perfect phone size.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2012

I'm not a serious tech person either. Others will chime in here. If there is a single case of a OLED user going back, money not being an object, I will be surprised as hell. Then again, you rationalize, so there's that.
Honestly, that's the whole point. You'll never get to see both phones side by side on a daily use; and for those who do compare them at the Apple store, and can't discern a difference would actually put less value on display quality and more weight on the $300 price difference. *Wallet pun intended*

Again, pros will notice, prosumers will notice and tbh, most of the time, consumers with money to spend only spends it on the highest end model for bragging rights. I think I had to explain to 8 out of 10 friends the difference of OLED vs. LCD (I pulled up an image with deep blacks on both iPhone X and 8) only then would they understand the difference, but then go back to scrolling instagram with no point of reference. *Ignorance is bliss*

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Got the 11 Pro regular size, not the Max. I have big hands, but still think a max is complete overkill. For me a handheld should fit in a pocket easily and not bother me because of its size. You're luring your phone with you everywhere after all.

I have an 2018 iPad Pro for when I want a bigger screen.

The difference in LCD and OLED is pretty obvious though. Not a LCD screen in the entire world gets the blacks as black as an OLED screen.

I bought an OLED TV some years ago, never going back to LCD ever.

uller6

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010

I had an X and hated the OLED screen so went back to the XR last year. The OLED screens flicker and give me terrible headaches.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
The major difference between the 11 and pro is the depth of the blacks - none of the other differences matter in real time use
This is not exactly right. It's contrast. It's a huge difference. It's show in everything, not just blacks. A black area is just reference point.

But, people want to save money. I more than get that. Best to just save money and call it a day. Diminishing returns

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy James

Koshkaboo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
I got the 11 Pro going down in size from the XS max. I had loved the X when I had it and felt the XS Max was too large all year. So this time I did the Pro. I would not consider the 11 as I wanted the camera differences.