Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple accessory maker Brydge this week introduced a new iPad Pro keyboard with a built-in multi-touch trackpad.

Taking advantage of new AssistiveTouch functionality in iPadOS, the trackpad can be used to bring up the Dock from any app with a two-finger tap, access the App Exposé screen with a three-finger tap, and more.

brydge-ipad-pro-keyboard-trackpad-800x603.png

The full-size QWERTY keyboard features LED-backlit keys with three levels of brightness and an advertised three-month battery life per charge. It is compatible with the latest-generation 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, connecting via Bluetooth 4.1 rather than the Smart Connector.

Pricing is set at $199.99 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $229.99 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with the first 500 pre-orders estimated to ship in late February 2020, followed by the remainder of pre-orders shipping in late March 2020.

brydge-ipad-pro-trackpad-800x348.jpg

Brydge is also gauging interest for a standalone multi-touch trackpad for the iPad Pro, pictured above, that is "coming soon."

Article Link: Brydge Introduces iPad Pro Keyboard With Multi-Touch Trackpad, Also Teases Standalone Trackpad

Reactions: Ravi_MR and FlyBry

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
$229? Yeh no. Once you buy the $1000+ iPad and for the bulk just get a Macbook.

The pricing makes no sense either (not the Apple's keyboard does either) Most of these iPad keyboards are WAY to overpriced.

Apple's should be $100-125. But I get the draw, its super thin and doesnt make it feel more than a cover. A lot goes into getting that to work and as a stand. $199 is nuts IMO, but I get the worth in portability.

This should be $150. It's a chunky keyboard at the end of the day with 2 clips to hold the ipad, nothing special to it. Paying 1/4 the price of the base 12.9" retail price for a keyboard just makes no financial sense and puts you into Macbook Air territory

Last edited:

peter34

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2019
I would like multi-press touchpad with USB cable. I tried Apple touchpad and for me it was painfull to use Bluetooth touchpad, so I had to sell it.

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Basically turning your iPad Pro into a Surface? Conceptually not bad for someone who wants that type of utilization.

Basically not. The AssistiveTouch functionality is nowhere close to offering true mouse/cursor functionality.

I was excited with anticipation of this AssistiveTouch, but it really isn't like using a mouse/cursor on a real Macbook/Windows computer.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
When the MacBook Air is a thing, why does this have to be ?
It's a common question... even in this thread alone the sentiment has been repeated.

This isn't for everybody. Although I'm not a fan of Brydge, I am a proponent of 2-in-1 devices. Unfortunately, I think that iPadOS-based devices are the worst of the available options for 2-in-1.

For those who are deep into the Apple ecosystem and want to work toward a 2-in-1 device, this helps a bit.

Basically not. The AssistiveTouch functionality is nowhere close to offering true mouse/cursor functionality.

I was excited with anticipation of this AssistiveTouch, but it really isn't like using a mouse/cursor on a real Macbook/Windows computer.
Exactly. Anyone who knows Apple knows that they weren't going to flat-out come out with full mouse support. There is a sense of lowered expectations set by Apple's customers... they're willing to accept half-baked workarounds. Android has had full mouse support almost from day-1... it is completely optional and doesn't interfere with those who will never use a mouse. THAT is the standard that I measure iOS support for mice to.

Morten Andreasen

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
Seems like a no brainer if you already have the ipad. However I realky won’t get the choice of Bluetooth over SmartConnector. Using SmartConnector the keyboard could extend Battery Life and would have no pairing issues in a class room or company floor with a number of shared keyboards.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
When the MacBook Air is a thing, why does this have to be ?
Oh I dunno.....maybe for people that already have an iPad Pro and don’t want to spend another grand for an Air or just don’t want one in general?

You seem upset by the existence of a product that obviously isn’t aimed at you and that you can completely ignore. Some people will want this thing.

Rugbydman

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
The keyboard looks very heavy I’m sure a MacBook Air would be sam kin of weight?
what would the difference be to their iOS trackpad and Apple’s standard trackpad??

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
My issue is if you are one of the ones who brought a Brydge already.

I brought one using the 20% discount one got for buying an earlier product, because someone shared the code. I like it for the presentation, but it is heavy which is counter to iPad concept.

The issue is, the discount made me pull the trigger.

If I have a Brydge already & that price I thought was a bit high, this new iteration isn't that appealing so late in the iPad Pro's life cycle. Especially if one has an old extra mouse lying around to use for free.

Brydge doesn't seem to be making any offers for previous customers to upgrade. I think that's a very serious ball to be dropping.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I think this is really cool. The iPad Pro is a great device and there are really good apps out there for it.

Lumafusion is actually becoming a pretty powerful app for video editing and I could see something like this being very helpful for those that use their iPads to edit.

Reactions: Peza19

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Again the only problem I see with a product like this is iOS's terrible utilization of "non-finger" input devices. Mouse support is still treated like a secondary ... tertiary option. If the iPad and iOS ever got top notch mouse support and the interface to utilize it then I could see this as a way to turn your iPad into a Surface competitor.

Nevertheless, the iPad still isn't as standalone as Apple seems to think, so they'd still have a long way to go before competing with the Surface Pro.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I'd be awfully curious if this was at the beginning of the refresh cycle for the iPad Pro. But it's a lot to plunk down if it turns out the next iPad is a compelling buy and somehow varies physically such that this keyboard doesn't work.

And when I really think about it, I'm pretty pleased with how the Smart Keyboard is so low profile and the typing is pretty surprisingly good. So it's not like I've been itching for a better typing experience (even though I'm full on mechanical at work and at home with my desktops).

And to others' points, the Assistive Touch is a bit wonky. I've paired a mouse and ended up not finding it super compelling. Perhaps Brydge has found some ways to make the most of the capabilities though...

I think I just talked myself out of this?

Reactions: AppleFan78

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
I think this is really cool. The iPad Pro is a great device and there are really good apps out there for it.

Lumafusion is actually becoming a pretty powerful app for video editing and I could see something like this being very helpful for those that use their iPads to edit.
What's cool? You do realize the the trackpad on this has VERY LIMITED functionality? AssistiveTouch only. It's not a mouse / cursor by any means.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
East Coast
Bluetooth is a big drawback of this. The Smart Connector makes keyboards on iPads reasonable to use, because it doesn't put the traffic out in the air where it can be sniffed.

FUD. Bluetooth keyboards use encryption, just like the network socket over which your password is being transmitted (e.g. to a website).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.