Budweiser changes name to America

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, May 10, 2016.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

The King of Beers wants to solidify its status as a true U.S. icon by changing its name to “America” this summer.

Anheuser-Busch InBev, the parent company of Budweiser, has asked the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau for permission to use labeling that replaces the beer's name with the word America and boasts patriotic phrases like“Land of the Free,” “Liberty and Justice for All,” “Home of the Brave” and “From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters this land was made for you and me,” reports AdAge.

AB InBev owns two of the country’s bestselling beers—Bud Light and Budweiser—but the company is technically no longer American-owned. InBev, a beer conglomerate based in Belgium and Brazil, acquired Anheuser-Busch in 2008.

But the company has worked tirelessly to maintain its image as all-American institution.

Since 2011, the company has released special edition summertime cans that feature images such as American flag stars and stripes or the Statue of Liberty as a nod to several patriotic pastimes including Memorial Day, July Fourth, and barbecue season in general.

"You have this wave of patriotism that is going to go up and down throughout the summertime," Anheuser-Busch InBev U.S. Marketing VP Jorn Socquet told AdAge, though he wouldn’t specifically talk about the “America” label plans.

"We found with Budweiser such a beautiful angle to play on that sentiment."

Budweiser, an official U.S. sponsor of the Olympic games, will continue its patriotic push with a new ad featuring several Olympic athletes and a branded series that tells inspiring stories of "Team Budweiser" athletes starting in June.

FOXNOOS

This summer I will drink America.

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Belgium and Brazil, eh?

Belgium, where anything goes, and Brazil, where everything goes.

What could go wrong?

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Does drinking beer make you smarter?"

"Sure, it made Bud Wiser."

5. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Buttwiper becomes America -- America becomes Buttwiper. Either way they are both going down the pan one way or the other.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

They tried. The entire marketing department should be ridiculed.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Changing its name isn't going to make it taste any better. Its the second worst beer I've ever drunk.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Must be a new group of marketing people, because this WAS the company that brought us some market gems like Bud Bowl; the "Bud," "Wise," and "Er" frogs; the iconic clydesdale carriage and so many more. Talk about going from hero to zero.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

With a post such as this, inevitably, I'm curious to know the worst.

But agreed, it is a bloody awful beer, and easily one of the worst I have ever tasted.

However, one advantage of the name change is that it should not be quite so difficult to lay hands on a bottle or two of the classic Budvar (from the Czech Republic, which also recently seems to have undergone a name change, to Czechia..) as the quibbles, and debates over names will no longer serve to snuff out access to what is a genuinely excellent beer.

10. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually Foster's is the worst beer I've ever tasted, followed by Busch.

I do like Labatt and for a domestic its Sierra Nevada.

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you want to punish yourself, try a Natural Ice.

13. Scepticalscribe, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, thank you. (But thank you also for the fair warning, as this name adds one more beverage that I shall give a very wide berth to….)

Besides, my days of mixing masochism and alcohol are long past. These days, only the best will suffice.....

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Indeed, ma'am!

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was going to say ****, but this works too!
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    HAHAHAHA aka "A Natty" lol...... Yeah, that beer is pretty bad, no really bad.

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

It would be 10 times better if they had re-adopted their most beloved nation-name: Bohemia

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, but they'd have to find a way to acknowledge Moravia, as well. Questions of identity, naming, and seeing this in terms of inclusion and/or exclusion of the people (or peoples?) who love there have long proven a bit of a challenge in that part of the world.

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Well, yes and no. The name "Bohemia" in the old days generically referred to the entire crown kingdom of the Czech peoples, which included other regions/provinces like Silesia and Moravia. Only in modern times did the word Bohemia get redacted to refer to a mere region of Bohemia.

It's like the word "Russia". Most people generically understand it to mean the entire nation of Russia. But technically, the Russian Federation includes numerous states, of which "Russia" proper is only one. But we don't see the Russian peoples get terribly offended when they are (inclusively) referred to as 'Russians'. They know what we are referring to.

Wikipedia says this:

Bohemia (Czech: Čechy;[1]German: [​IMG] Böhmen (help·info); Polish: Czechy; French: Bohême; Latin: Bohemia) is a region in the Czech Republic. In a broader meaning, it often refers to the entire Czech territory, including Moravia and Czech Silesia,[2]especially in historical contexts: the lands of the Bohemian Crown. Bohemia was a kingdom in the Holy Roman Empire and subsequently a province in the Habsburgs’ Austrian Empire.

19. cube macrumors G5

This is actually a PRSI discussion.

Also because I was thinking it should come in 3 versions: "Since 1776", "Since 1507", and "Since 1492".

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'm all for this. So when I see Budweiser in a shop in the UK I know it's real Czech beer and not some American stuff that is beer only in name.

21. E.Lizardo, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016

E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

To quote Mony Python"American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water"

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't think they did.

This is so wrong. How crass and conceited can a corporation get? To presume that a diverse nation of individuals would want their country's name slapped on a (mediocre) alcoholic beverage.

I wonder if they've tried to trademark "America"? Will the real America be forced to change its name to something else, or else pay a licensing fee to a brewery?