Budweiser for sale?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A bitter battle for control of Anheuser-Busch appears to be looming after the brewer, one of the nation’s most prominent family-run companies, formally became the target of a $46.4 billion unsolicited takeover offer from InBev of Belgium on Wednesday.

But InBev’s bid to take control of Anheuser-Busch, which has been led by the Anheuser and Busch families for 148 years, could get nasty. The St. Louis-based company, led by a scion of the Busch family, August A. Busch IV, has signaled that it will fight a takeover. In recent weeks, in anticipation of InBev’s bid, privately called Project Aluminum, Anheuser-Busch has hired an army of bankers, lawyers and other advisers to help it mount a defense, The New York Times reported.

The battle may stir a national debate filled with patriotic fervor over a company ingrained in the American consciousness. Anheuser-Busch spends more money than any other advertiser during the Super Bowl each year; last year alone, it spent $23.9 million, according to TNS, a market research company.

The bid could also put Warren E. Buffett, Anheuser-Busch’s second-largest shareholder after August A. Busch III, a former Anheuser-Busch chairman and chief executive, in the middle of a struggle.

Gov. Matthew R. Blunt of Missouri said in a statement Wednesday that he opposed any sale. “Today’s offer to purchase the company is deeply troubling to me,” he said, adding that he was directing the state’s department of economic development to explore ways to keep Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis.

A deal, if reached, would combine Anheuser-Busch’s best-selling Budweiser and Bud Light brands with InBev’s Stella Artois, Beck’s and Bass and would create the world’s largest brewer, with distribution channels around the globe.

According to The New York Times, two InBev directors approached Mr. Busch about a deal during a secret meeting in Tampa, Fla., on June 2.

The meeting, which people who were briefed on it told The Times was “polite and short,” was a prelude to InBev’s formal offer, made in a letter to Mr. Busch and Anheuser-Busch’s board. InBev said it hoped to reach a friendly deal and, in that spirit, said that it hoped to “keep the contents of this letter private.” Within hours, however, word had spread across Wall Street, and Anheuser-Busch chose to make the bid public.
    http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/bid-may-spark-battle-royale-for-anheuser-busch/?hp

2. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

WOW! That's crazy.
    I wonder what a takeover would mean for the huge Budweiser plant just down the street. A large chunk of town works there. :eek:

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

InBev will back out during due diligence when they discover the beer is actually produced by the Clydesdales.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Blimey... Budweiser unrivalled as the world's dominant beer. Doesn't bear thinking about. :eek:

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Becks, Bass and Bud. Just doesn't seem right!

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Dominant only by quantity.

I can't believe it's a Belgian co. that's interested. The Belgians make some fine beers. Why do they want to buy piss in a bottle?

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think that would be the worst part. I can just see them ruining the Bud name and killing the commercials.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I don't think you can ruin the Bud name, outside of the US it's already laughed at...

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I was thinking that myself. Maybe because it'll prove that their beer is so much nicer? :confused:

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

They want it because so many Americans still insist on buying this particular brand of piss in a bottle.

It will also give them a great distribution network in the US.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Not all Budweiser is, of course... ;)

Do you think that they've got confused and think they're buying that brewer? :p

12. bartelby macrumors Core

No, Budvar is quite nice.

I blame it on too many Duvels.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is because they don't know any better! :)

However it has a "deep" history with america. Go to the ball game you get a bud and hot dog..... This doesn't apply to ever thing thou. Think of mom's apple pie... Doesn't have to be good but if you have been drinking it for generations etc....... I hope this sounds some what clear.

This is huge thou....

14. mashny macrumors regular

InBev is, of course, doing this to make a larger profit. They sure as hell aren't doing it to acquire a "quality" beer company: Budweiser is crap beer, tasting like club soda with a little bit of beer flavoring added. Budweiser calling itself the "King of Beers" says more about the American palate--or lack thereof--than about Budweiser's quality or taste.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Bud is Americas beer because it is the most widely available. It does taste better from the tap however.

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I first heard about this a couple of months ago. It's only now becoming public info.

People don't realize what impact this would have. It's not just about the Brand...losing the distinctly hard-rooted "American" image...but also the impact on St Louis. Budweiser is so ingrained in St Louis that there would be a huge economic vacuum if the independent company was swallowed up. Would the new parent company still support the city, sports teams, facilities, schools and various philanthropic efforts? There are a lot of questions still to ask.....

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I agree. I've had Bud from the tap and even speaking as a beer snob, it was by no means bad. It was adequate. Run-of-the-mill. Competent, even. It was not extraordinary, nor even above average. It was palatable enough that I would accept a Bud from the tap if I had no other options.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

A-B doesn't have breweries, they have beer factories. They are the Microsoft of suds.

We rediscovered real beer in the States a couple decades ago, and I for one try my damnedest to preach the pure malty gospel. Trouble is, every time a good micro gets "discovered," they go all watery, too. Either that or think that more hops=better beer. Get me an Excedrin, already!

Drinking Bud is like making love in a canoe.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Geez, multi-quotes take quite an effort here.

Get with the program, and invoke the multi-quote option from VB.

When they went Public, many years ago, they opened themselves up to a take-over. Greed, and the need to grow, caused this to happen.

They want the name, the network and the brand loyalty.

They will craft a better beer, over time, although I don't know how they will handle the 3% swill limit prevalent in the States.

See above post.

This is always true, no matter what the brand. Don't let them tell you any different!!

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

we do have the multi quote option. :confused::confused:

in any event. their loss really, but they're only looking for brand recognition for bigger sales.

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What like this button [​IMG] next to the quote button.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd say probably not. With a beer as inexplicably popular as Budweiser they'd be well advised nor to go fiddling around with the recipe or anything – besides, if you can get away with serving up what they do now then why bother trying to do anything better?

Don't forget either that InBev are responsible for such delights of the brewer's art as Castlemaine XXXX and the Artois beers (Peeterman Artois holds the distinction of probably being the worst beer I've ever tasted), so Budweiser would be in good company if this sale goes through.

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Good, I thought I was the only one that though that Stella Artois made Sam Adams (Boston Lager) taste good by comparison.

Speaking of skunk pi$$, I'll add Iron Horse, Brew 102, and Lucky (but only the first four bottles. Fifth one & beyond are just fine). Most Japanese beers, too, unfortunately, and lucky for the world their attempt at a stout was about ten years before the US was interested, because it was absolutely killer. They'd own beer like everything else if it had caught on.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If anyone's seen Beerfest, I'm convinced that the reason they train by drinking ram's piss is so if they end up having to drink Budweiser in the competition, they'll be used to it and won't get sick to their stomach. Give me a good Hefeweizen anyday.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Want all the buzz of a Budweiser beer, but don't want the cost of buying the company? Just go to Lake Ontario or Superior and bottle that.