Buick and GMC Announce CarPlay Coming to Select 2016 Vehicles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

General Motors today announced that select 2016 model year Buick and GMC vehicles will support CarPlay and Android Auto through the IntelliLink system, including the 2016 Buick LaCrosse and Regal and 2016 GMC Canyon, Yukon and Sierra. Buick and GMC will support CarPlay at the beginning of the model year and add Android Auto compatibility to select vehicles later in the model year.

[​IMG]

The built-in IntelliLink screen will indicate when a CarPlay or Android Auto compatible smartphone is connected via USB, enabling quick and easy access to Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts and third-party apps such as Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, CBS Radio and MLB At Bat. CarPlay also uses Siri voice control and interfaces with your vehicle's knobs, dials and buttons for hands-free or eyes-free control of your iPhone.

GM announced in late May that it is adding CarPlay and Android Auto support to 14 new 2016 Chevrolet models later this year, with the 650 HP Corvette Z06 the first vehicle to roll off the assembly line and head to dealerships. GM's luxury car brand Cadillac will also be adding CarPlay and Android Auto support to its 2016 model vehicles equipped with a CUE 8-inch multi-touch screen, excluding the SRX Crossover.

Article Link: Buick and GMC Announce CarPlay Coming to Select 2016 Vehicles

2. shortenjam88 macrumors newbie

Wonder if the 2016 models from all participating manufacturers will include a software update for wireless CarPlay in the future, as I'm pretty sure the 2016 models will all require a wired connection. Correct?

3. 6836838 Suspended

Boy, America really do like to make fugly cars!

4. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

How about a Godamn Toyota Corolla? So tired of the "look we added CarPlay" articles....put them in the top 5 selling us car models and then it's a story. Not mad at macrumors, just the auto industry. Toyota is holding out for what? The next entune update? I think the first Apollo mission had a better os running their sound system...it's not getting better on Toyota, you are gonna make more money from the people who decide to buy your cheaper vehicles that have CarPlay then you are from the few people that actually use your aweful system!

5. AngerDanger, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

It's only a matter of months before Buick and GMC owners can say:

2015-GMC-800x500.jpg

6. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Don't judge us by GMC's junk. Take a look at Chevy or Ford. Some iconic vehicles there.

7. cwt1nospam macrumors 6502a

Fatties need fat vehicles. :D

8. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Gotta be a truck person. I'll admit I don't care for the "new" Step Side Box shown here.
    Don't forget most of the "Big Flat Front" designs are from Crash Requirements directed toward making a Human impact (30mph) more survivable.
    You also have the hollow "crumple section" in the Hoods to assist in keeping the person from going face first into the windshield.

The Ford F-150 is completely built out of Aircraft Grade Aluminum for 2015. Ford now has 2 plants at 100% 3- shifts and each truck is already sold as it rolls off the line.

Again, you have to be a Truck person. ;)

9. Thunderhawks Suspended

I think these should be re-classified as boats. The space they take up parking etc. especially in lots with smaller striped parking spots is ridiculous.

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

First a trickle, then a stream, then a flood...

When the dam breaks on this, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

11. JamesDo macrumors regular

Change the name 2 CarPlayRumors, we don't care about this ********.

12. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Who needs that kind of horrible car? Don't they have roads in America?

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

14. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I do like that building the truck is parked next to.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

speak for yourself. I am looking at a new vehicle later this year or early next. I care...

16. rellimie macrumors member

rellimie

The bed is not step side. The bed is even with the cab and front, it just has fender flares on the front and back.

17. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

So am I, but still don't see the need to have CarPlay be a part of my decision.

If the car I choose has it then great, but as of now most cars let me use siri for nav and play all my music and control my 3rd party apps.

18. SpiderDude, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Eheh..
    It sure looks like the mods and owners of MacRumors enjoyed the warmth of the fire of the previous article.

19. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You do realize GMC's products are exactly like the Chevy counterpart right? The Sierra is the Silverado, Terrain is the Equinox, Canyon is Colorado, Yukon is the Tahoe.

21. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

C'mon, when will there be carplay for BMW's? I don't care for ugly, cheap american cars.

22. Soccertess macrumors 65816

or when your country (USA or Canada) is almost the same size of 20 European countries COMBINED, road conditions are quite different especially outside the city and bigger vehicles are definitely an asset.

I would always get some european tourist saying, why in Canada do you have big trucks (mostly Alberta, Sask, Manitoba), and I would respond, because we are almost the same size as all of Europe with only 5% of the population (740 Million vs 35 Million). My BMW is only good in Vancouver, take it to Alberta during the Winter and you see how bad BMWs are in winters (surprising as they claim they test them in Scandinavian countries). I would take a Truck or a Toyota in those regions any day over a European car, especially in the Rockies.

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I am sooooo mad at Lexus/Toyota for not supporting CarPlay and only their proprietary system.
    And not even support for third party CarPlay installs! I've been waiting to buy a Lexus when the new model come out at the end of this year only to find out Lexus SUCKS! Now I have to look elsewhere for a different SUV because I now HATE Lexus for this. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

24. Thunderhawks Suspended

Sorry, if you base you car buying decision on whether it has CarPlay or not there is something wrong.

This just in:
    Barbie & Ken Roadster to get Carplay.

That is how important these threads are. MR you can do better. We get it there will be more and more cars with it.

BTW: Never saw the San Francisco Apple store report. Millionaire's wife sues Apple for profiling her daughter, because she was black and had a black AMEX card!
    Last week.