Build quality of iPhone 5

baypharm

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Anyone disagree or agree?

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
i couldnt disagree more. clearly you have no taste for the finer things in life

Comment

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Yes, I feel you.

Obviously you'll get a lot of retaliation, since this forum is a fanboy fest.

Comment

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
i used to think the same. it was so light that it felt so fake.
but when i got used to it, the ip4/4s felt too heavy (and short and thick)

and weight does not equate to quality. that's just plain ahem.

Comment

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I don't think it was an iPhone you were holding. The iPhone 5 is made out of glass and aluminum, it's solid with no plastic. Not sure what you were holding, but if it felt like plastic you were holding the wrong phone :)

Comment

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
It sounds like you got high, walked into your living room (thinking it was best buy), picked up your plastic TV remote control, and pretended your were playing with an iPhone...

But seriously, the LAST thing this phone build quality screams is "cheap"... But you are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
That's why I like the SG3. Plastic, surrounded by plastic which is then encased in plastic. Can't beat that. :rolleyes:

Comment

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I think you're equating weight with quality. If its heavier you'd feel safer. But this is not true.
With the aluminum backing, obviously this is more shock resistant than glass. Much of the iPhone 4 weight is from the front and back glass.
I think your mind is playing a trick on you with the weight and thickness of the new phone.

Comment

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009

Are you on crack or something? I can understand it feeling extremely light compared to the 4 & 4S, but cheap and plasticky? Now that's foolish.

Comment

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas

Personally, I feel that the ip5 is the best iPhone to date. YMMV

Comment

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
This is no slam on the OP at all, but I just think people are used to a certain 'feel' with the iPhone. The 3 and 4 models weighed in a certain way that gave them a feeling of substance.
The 5 is different. It is feather light by comparison and some people DO equate that with build quality. But once you get used to it, i think it's a pretty amazing phone! As always, YMMV.

Comment

Randyrat

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
I would agree with you, but I think that a lot of people like to use cases on their iPhones. The decreased weight in the actual phone helps alleviate the added density of the plastic, silicon, rubber case.

That's how I look at it at least. My iPhone 5 weighs the same with my case that my 4 weighed naked. just my opinion

Comment

Orchidkid

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
It sounds like you got high, walked into your living room (thinking it was best buy), picked up your plastic TV remote control, and pretended your were playing with an iPhone...

But seriously, the LAST thing this phone build quality screams is "cheap"... But you are entitled to your opinion.
This made my night....thanks

Comment

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I understand where you're coming from. The light weight does feel a bit different at first. After a couple days, though, my old iPhone 4 started to feel like a brick in comparison. Love my i5. :)

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Feels like a plastic toy? Where do you see the plastic? its made out of metal and glass. Maybe you were holding an android:D

Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I can only assume you've never handled the iPhone 3G/3GS. Spend a day with the 3G/3GS and you'll change your mind. The plasticky 3G/3GS felt way cheaper than the iPhone 5 despite being 20 grams heavier.

Comment

Radio

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2012
Central California
i couldnt disagree more. clearly you have no taste for the finer things in life
finer things in life?

dude it's a cellphone get over yourself :rolleyes:

I don't think the iPhone 5 feels cheap, but it does feel fragile.
agreed. it's a bit too light.

apple continues to make it lighter - not sure who is asking for that lol

Well I also think it feels cheap. How bout that?
i wouldn't say cheap but not substantially strong./

Comment

Luckybobby

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011

Best comment on macrumors ever!

Comment

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
but when i got used to it, the ip4/4s felt too heavy (and short and thick)

and weight does not equate to quality. that's just plain ahem.
I never get tired of a good laugh.

The famous Apple Hypocrisy is alive, well, and growing stronger with each new iDevotee.

Funny how it goes, some take great pains to bash Samsungs Galaxy S III because it's light. Then suddenly Apple builds the iPhone 5 which weighs in at nearly the exact same weight, and people fawn over what a brilliant phone it is.

Oh... Facts? Here you go:

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Link? http://www.google.com :)

Comment

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

The famous Apple Hypocrisy is alive, well, and growing stronger with each new iDevotee.

Funny how it goes, some take great pains to bash Samsungs Galaxy S III because it's light. Then suddenly Apple builds the iPhone 5 which weighs in at nearly the exact same weight, and people fawn over what a brilliant phone it is.

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Damn. Stuck it to him.

Comment

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Most of the anti- Galaxy SIII sentiment I've seen had NOTHING to do with the weight of the device. It had to do with the physical size and the feel of the device, as well as the UI of the OS.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.