Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I completely disagree with the OP the iPhone is a solid elegent sexy well built product. No cases available and I have been super carefull with mine ... My 5 year old gets close to it and I look as she brushes by it and knocks it right off my desk onto a rock hard floor. Not one minor scuff etc

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
really, i dont know what's with u.
i didnt even bash s3. please read. gees. what an ahem.

edit: go bug other pple who wld rather listen to ur rubbish, and dont half quote me, it makes u sound out of context with my entire post.

I never get tired of a good laugh.

The famous Apple Hypocrisy is alive, well, and growing stronger with each new iDevotee.

Funny how it goes, some take great pains to bash Samsungs Galaxy S III because it's light. Then suddenly Apple builds the iPhone 5 which weighs in at nearly the exact same weight, and people fawn over what a brilliant phone it is.

Oh... Facts? Here you go:

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Link? http://www.google.com :)

Last edited:

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Anyone disagree or agree?
Facepalm.
Yet another FUD thread. Will this ever stop.

The iPhone 5 is light weight. Its made of gorilla glass and unibody aluminum carved from single piece. Its about as far from a cheap plastic toy as you can get.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

The famous Apple Hypocrisy is alive, well, and growing stronger with each new iDevotee.

Funny how it goes, some take great pains to bash Samsungs Galaxy S III because it's light. Then suddenly Apple builds the iPhone 5 which weighs in at nearly the exact same weight, and people fawn over what a brilliant phone it is.

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Since you bring it up, the S3 is the epitome of cheap plastic. Thats what Samsung is known for. Its usually good enough. Folks apparently don't try to hold it up to the same standard as iPhones. Have you tried to bend the back door? How can you not bend it.
Not really knocking the S3. It is a nice build.. for cheap plastic. Thats what all other phones are, so I'm not complaining. I always put a case on whatever phone I get so I don't really see the cheap plastic and flimsy back cover. Most phones use gorilla glass now a days.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

Why do you insist on marginalizing opposing viewpoints by using terms like "iDevotee"?

Maybe the complaints about the GS3 had nothing to do with the weight of the device itself and more to do with the fact that the low weight was caused by the excessive use of plastic?

I don't necessarily think that plastic is a bad choice when it comes to the exterior of smartphones- when done properly. But far too often, plastic phones do end up feeling very cheap and shoddy. Nokia hit a home run with the Nokia 800/900, that's for sure.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
if weight = quality, then why is light, airy silk considered one of the most luxurious fabrics?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Disclaimer: I do _not_ advocate for any platform or brand.

Let's work with facts. No matter what opinion each of you have about plastic, it's no longer 1980. The plastics of today do not have to be heavy, thick & rigid to be of high quality & excellent durability.

Someone claimed the battery door on a S3 Galaxy was cheap just because one could bend it. Hello? It's supposed to be flexible when removed. When in place it's both strong & creak free. A stellar quality. I know... I own one.

If we set aside issues that both iOS & Android platforms have, my current first hand experience reveals each of them have great features. Each are fun to use, and both are very useful.

That's what it's all about. I have both simply because I enjoy all things tech & prefer choices, variety, & staying current with the two best platforms in the smartphone segment today.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

the S3 isn't criticized for being light, it is criticized for being made of plastic

----------

Disclaimer: I do _not_ advocate for any platform or brand.

Let's work with facts. No matter what opinion each of you have about plastic, it's no longer 1980. The plastics of today do not have to be heavy, thick & rigid to be of high quality & excellent durability.

Someone claimed the battery door on a S3 Galaxy was cheap just because one could bend it. Hello? It's supposed to be flexible when removed. When in place it's both strong & creak free. A stellar quality. I know... I own one.

If we set aside issues that both iOS & Android platforms have, my current first hand experience reveals each of them have great features. Each are fun to use, and both are very useful.

That's what it's all about. I have both simply because I enjoy all things tech & prefer choices, variety, & staying current with the two best platforms in the smartphone segment today.

That pretty much sums it up. I've never really understood why the competitions phone has to be discredited for a person to enjoy their chosen phone. You picked it because it was better for you. Who cares if the other phones are great too? Who cares if someone is enjoying a phone other than yours?

I frequently get into "arguments" with people who advocate other platforms...when what they're saying is wrong. I've done the same with people who are advocating iOS. (I call them arguments, but its really just me pointing out the error and then being attacked for being a "fanboy").

I've entered lengthy, educated, and rewarding discussions with others about why we prefer our chosen platform.

But I can't recall a time I went at it with someone simply because they didn't prefer iOS to Android. If Android works better for someone, that's great!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Anyone disagree or agree?

Disagree. I think the lighter weight can give that impression at first, but I feel much more confident that if I drop this phone, there is less possiblity for damage than there was with my 4 and 4S. Although I somehow went naked most of the time with both and never once cracked/broke anything.

Edit: And not to slam Android, but to give praise to the iPhone 5, I point you to this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY

bushman4

macrumors 68040
Mar 22, 2011
Getting use to the Iphone5 build,weight and thiness takes a few days. The Iphone feels light yet solid. Most people put cases on it and it becomes heavier ,if thats what you prefer.
Iphone5 is built solidly. Theres actually a you tube video showing a naked Iphone5 and GalaxyIII being dropped from pocket,head. and ear heights. The Iphone5 is fully functional with some scrapes while the Galaxy has a broken screen and is split apart.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Why do you insist on marginalizing opposing viewpoints by using terms like "iDevotee"?
Let me clarify.

First, I'm not "marginalizing".

Second I respect & welcome a lively discussion of opposing viewpoints.

I carefully chose to use iDevotee as a neutral way to identify those who think Apple can do no wrong. These owners do indeed act that way and are in fact, a bit over the top. An opinion that is shared by thousands, widely recognized and quite real.

If I wanted to marginalize I would have said "fanboy". A term I choose to avoid.

That said, there's an ebb & flow to R&D, depending on a host of variables. Many of which we are unaware of due to trade secrets & other considerations. As a result, as I'm sure many are aware of, some years or product cycles tend to favor one platform over another.

That's just another reason I will always be using at least two phones of different platforms. It's more fun that way :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Let me clarify.

First, I'm not "marginalizing".

Personally I think the term belittling is fitting. Either way, it's not very nice and definitely not neutral. I believe you've also used iSheep...but I'd have to be less lazy than I currently am to search and verify.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

You can't even get your fact right (the iP5 is 113g). Makes you look like you're trying too hard.

However, the iPhone 3G/3GS is 133g just like the SGS 3 and many of us think the plasticky 3G/3GS feels cheap, especially when coming from the original iPhone and going to the 4/4S. So it's not so much the weight but material that people are confusing with what they consider solid feeling in the hand. Lots of them (especially fanboys) claim it's the weight alone and they're plain wrong about it.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

136g - iP5
133g - SGS 3

The difference is that the S3 IS CHEAP. It's plastic. Extremely cheap plastic.

It wouldn't matter if the S3 weighed as much as the iPhone 4S, it would still feel like a crappy cheap phone because the materials the S3 is made out of.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
The iphone 5 does feel a tad less sturdy than the 4, something about the glass just made it feel more premium in the hand, but that's my opinion

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I got a perfect 16 GB White Verizon from Apple on launch day.

Then 3 32 whites from best buy with cosmetic damage.

I'm about to give up on best buy

erixip

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Hey, I like the lightness. I don't have to worry about this darn thing pulling my shorts down like my last one use to

Its something how these relative differences can form opinion and a measures paradigms completely flips depending on the item you are looking at. Being into bikes, lightness via carbon fiber and titanium are signs of quality.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
I completely agree with the OP. had the same feeling. I'm sure ill get used to it when I get my iPhone 5s.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Is that really best buys fault, they didn't build the phones

sorry, i didn't fully explain. The best buy i bought the phones from gave me the hardest time with returns/exchanges. I don't blame them for the defects on teh phones, but I blame them for the terrible customer service.

They outright blamed me for the damage and said they wouldn't take them back. I had to argue with them for 30 minutes and threaten a call to corporate before they exchanged one (I bought two). They still refused to exchange the other one. I still have two with damage.

I want to just return both now and go with Apple, but I am afraid of what I have to go through to get those returns.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
4s had only one weakness. Backplate is glass. Obviously front display is vulnerable in any phone model. So for simplicity if you consider a phone has 6 sides, probability of damaging 4s is 1/6.

Probability of damaging IP5 is 5/6.

Crude explanation, but you get the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.