Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I picked up my old Motorola MicroTAC, and since its heavier it clearly is better quality... so I came here to announce I'm going BACK baby!!!

Now to just find a carrier...

alexnewtron

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Anyone disagree or agree?

What in the hell? Cheap? Are you mad? This phone is so god damn durable its amazing. Why can't everyone just use an iPhone ):

yabbadabba

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
I fondled one at the Apple store yesterday. Didn't feel cheap, but it did seem, for lack of a better word, dull. Lacking the "pop" of earlier iterations.

Just...meh.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I fondled one at the Apple store yesterday. Didn't feel cheap, but it did seem, for lack of a better word, dull. Lacking the "pop" of earlier iterations.

Just...meh.

That could be because the design change between the 4S and the 5 is much less visually dramatic than the one between the 3GS and the 4. I think in general smartphones have become the new feature phones in that they're not as special/unique as they used to be. Most of us have them, use them and that's the way it is now. The question now is, what's next? I don't think the answer is a 4.5" iPhone 6. In other words, smartphones in general are now meh.

mebehere

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I was taken aback at the lightness out of the box but not in either a good or bad way. You really have to use it. Like many others have said, the 4 now feels heavy and looks stumpy by comparison. I think it's lovely in look and feel. In addition, now that my 4 has been gone for a week, the 5 doesn't really feel light anymore. Just normal. Solid.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I got to see/handle a new iPhone 5 in BestBuy today. As much as I love Apple products, I admittedly don't like the build quality of the new phone. Feels cheap and seems to lack substance: a feeling of solidity. Just feels like a cheap plastic toy. I may be equating heft and weight with quality but I liked the "feel" of the previous iPhone 4 better.

Anyone disagree or agree?

Did the screen respond when you touched it? The phone is light to be sure, but certainly doesn't feel like plastic. It's quite possible you were playing with a dummy phone. Happens to the best of us sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.