Bumper alternatives to the Apple Bumper (with updates)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jrbdmb, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I'm trying to avoid the Apple bumper as I do not want to have to remove it to plug my iPhone 4 into my car stereo, or remove to use some of my aftermarket earphones (apparently the holes for the dock and phones are cut extremely small). So I thought I'd start a "semi-official" thread to bumper alternatives to the Apple product. There are plenty of threads on full cases, no need to rehash them here.

So far I've found / been pointed to:

The original bumper by Apple, $29.95

[​IMG]

Element Vapor 4 Starting at $79.95

[​IMG]

iLuv Silicone trim case with dual films $24.99

[​IMG]

Scosche BandEDGE G4 $24.99

[​IMG]

Marware Sportgrip Edge for iPhone 4 $19.99

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I haven't seen any external reviews for any of these products yet. Any reviews / note for these products, or additions to this list of bumper style cases would be appreciated.

Added, thanks WhyYouSoBlurry - Agent 18 ShockBand for iPhone 4 $19.95

[​IMG]

Added, thanks dgoldak - Tech21 iBand for iPhone 4

[​IMG]

Added, thanks Amnesia87 - Uncommon Products iPhone 4 Loop

[​IMG]

2. glen e macrumors 68030

3. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

+1 Finally a company that has intelligence and is creating a clear one. Guess they get my money unless a better one comes along:D

4. bobright macrumors 601

5. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Dang, I wish the agent 18 one came in white. I can't wait to see actual pictures of this one.

6. katai macrumors regular

These cases looking nice. Hoping the clear ones turn out great. The prices are cheaper than apples too so that's a plus for aftermarket companies.

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'd have to see that Agent 18 case in person, but at least in pictures it looks much slimmer than the bumper. Yes please!

8. dgoldak macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

9. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I really like the look of the Vapor4, but $80? Yikes!

2nd choice for me is the Marware, but I'd like to see if somebody with it has issues with dock and headphone ports first.

10. Mrrikki macrumors regular

I was going to order a Argent 18 clear but cheapest postage to the UK was $65!!!!! So I will wait till it reachesvthe UK lol

11. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

FYI, I emailed Marware about their availability of the Sportgrip case and this was their response:

Due to unanticipated delays in production we do not expect to receive our inventory of the Sport Grip and SportGrip Edge for iPhone 4 until the week of July 12th. All pending orders will ship immediately after we receive our inventory.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Carmine Delligatti

Customer Support Manager

Also I emailed Scosche to see if they have plans for other colors because I really like the looks of their cases, but they just said "not at this time," and to keep checking the website for updates.

12. Hakushox macrumors member

I'm scooping up a couple the Element Vapor 4'sas one of my main cases. Haven't decided on the color combo yet though. I do wish they had a so-called add free version, but oh well they still look great.

13. Drakdaddy macrumors member

Getting the Vapor as well, but I also want to get a Dock. I know the Bumper doesnt work with it, but do you guys know if some of the Bumper alternatives work with it?

14. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Seeing that the Apple bumper is probably the smallest of the alternatives out there (adding the least to width and depth), if the Apple bumpered iPhone won't fit in the dock I doubt any other bumper or case will fare any better.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

The clear gets my vote. Seeing the stainless steel band is a plus. Apple dropped the ball on that one.

16. jllawrence macrumors newbie

17. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I like the idea of a clear one too. I really like the bumper style cases but would rather not spend $30 on it!

18. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Can someone get a photoshop with the clear shockband on white i4? Up until now, I was convinced on white i4 with black bumper, but I'm interested in the clear case.

19. vchalupa macrumors member

Just a heads up, the Marware case is actually cheaper at MacMall at only $12.99. I called them up because they didn't have any in stock and I asked them when they should be getting a shipment of them. They said they should get a delivery sometime this week when I called them last week. The person I spoke with did say that it was tentative and nothing was for sure but I'm assuming they might be severely back ordered or something like that.

Btw, just out of curiously, for those of you interested in the Vapor case, could you explain to me why you're willing to spend so much money on a case? Wouldn't getting AppleCare be cheaper at that point? The case itself is beautiful but the price is what's holding me back.

Thanks

20. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I updated the pic for the Marware product. Consensus in another thread is that the mock-up looked better :(, but the white and black cases look OK.

21. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

22. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

23. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

This looks so much nicer than their original product! I wasn't even going to consider them, but I may have to rethink that.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Only problem with a 100% TPU bumper is the lack of rigidity. The tiny strips of material on either side of the dock connector are very easy to push up/down by simply holding the phone. That Agent18 case does look nice, but I just bought a TPU bumper here in Japan yesterday and it's already off my phone - the flimsiness (is that a word?) drove me crazy. :(